It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Professor claims math is white privilege and teaching it is discrimination

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Facts aren't racist and neither is math.

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Headline : Professor claims math is white privilege and teaching it is discrimination

Where did that come from? That is not what her comments were about.

What she said was ''On many levels, mathematics itself operates as Whiteness. Who gets credit for doing and developing mathematics, who is capable in mathematics, and who is seen as part of the mathematical community is generally viewed as White,"

Big difference. Everyone here has already claimed that math is not a racial issue. I agree and so does that woman. She said it can be ''generally viewed as White. Meaning that some students may be hindered in learning math due to the general view that math is a white privilege.

She mentions the Pythagorean Theorem and Pi saying that these terms can be off putting due to this miss conception that math has it's roots in only white history.

She is not the author of a book.

The book is a collection of observations and insights on teaching math. Her segments in the book were small.

So what we find here in this thread is interesting.

For one, I found several people who think that this woman is pushing a book and finding trigger remarks to help push it. Wrong. It is an anthology of pieces written to help math teachers teach math better. Her segment was on how to help overcome a generally held concept that math is a white thing. She is saying that it isn't and that teachers need to be aware of this in their teaching.

What I find in the replies here thus far is over exageration to the max. One reply even says
''
I don't wanna live in this world anymore

This lady is a danger to the advancement of the human race. She might be selling a book but people probably will agree with this garbage. Hell people think the earth is flat. ''

This person uses this misconception of what that woman was saying as one more reason to not want to live in this world anymore.

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Math is the least racial or privileged thing out there.

I would submit to you that she simply found it hard and decided that it was because of white privilege because she didn't want to admit she found it hard.

And that is not casting aspersions on her intellect. You know what? I found geometry hard too, but I was aware it was because *I* wasn't getting it. I didn't blame it on most mathematicians who discovered important principles being male and thus math is gender biased.

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 08:04 PM
link   

What she said was ''On many levels, mathematics itself operates as Whiteness. Who gets credit for doing and developing mathematics, who is capable in mathematics, and who is seen as part of the mathematical community is generally viewed as White,"

However, as many people have stated on this very thread; mathematics and indeed innovation in mathematics is anything but white and in fact her statement is completely false.

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 08:06 PM
link   

I know President Obama’s primary nasa directive was to make Muslims “feel good about their contributions to match and science”

I guess Sumerians technically invented zero...but I don’t think the child marrying prophet showed up till a few millenia later...

Anyhow, without further ado, Obama’s educational/science/math sensibilities summed up in his nasa directive:

-Chris

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Thank god she isn't teaching history:

Mathematics during the Golden Age of Islam, especially during the 9th and 10th centuries, was built on Greek mathematics (Euclid, Archimedes, Apollonius) and Indian mathematics (Aryabhata, Brahmagupta). Important progress was made, such as the full development of the decimal place-value system to include decimal fractions, the first systematised study of algebra (named for The Compendious Book on Calculation by Completion and Balancing by scholar Al-Khwarizmi), and advances in geometry and trigonometry.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Another racist author bites the dust from their own undoing.
You don't have to go after some of these 'educators', they just ferret their way to justice.

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

However, as many people have stated on this very thread; mathematics and indeed innovation in mathematics is anything but white and in fact her statement is completely false.

I read it as seeing that the famous and lesser famous generally are white. Just like how there are few female mathematicians. Perhaps not nowadays but back then they would credit more to white mathematicians and scientists than to the black and/or female ones. Not that long ago even female mathematicians and scientists are viewed with contempt.

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 08:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Math is the least racial or privileged thing out there.

I would submit to you that she simply found it hard and decided that it was because of white privilege because she didn't want to admit she found it hard.

And that is not casting aspersions on her intellect. You know what? I found geometry hard too, but I was aware it was because *I* wasn't getting it. I didn't blame it on most mathematicians who discovered important principles being male and thus math is gender biased.

Right. You didn't, and neither did I. But this woman's point was simple. Some students do and teachers need to be aware of it. She was pointing out that that simple mental block should be considered while teaching students who might see math as a white thing. Not that math IS a white thing as so many in this thread seem to think.

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Right. Math is not racial, but like so much else can be perceived in that manner. This professor is pointing out to other math professors that there is generally held assumption of math being a white thing and that can serve as a hindrance to some students who unknowingly hold this misconstrued assumption.

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 08:21 PM
link   

I don't think anyone on this thread thinks that.

I do think she thinks that though. If she didn't, she wouldn't have bothered to bring it up.

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

I read it as seeing that the famous and lesser famous generally are white. Just like how there are few female mathematicians. Perhaps not nowadays but back then they would credit more to white mathematicians and scientists than to the black and/or female ones. Not that long ago even female mathematicians and scientists are viewed with contempt.

And that is what that professor was speaking to, this long held misconception that only white men have superior math ability. The perfect example of what you point out is that book and movie Hidden Figures. A story about the white male structure within NASA that held those women to subservient roles do to that very racial and sexual biases.

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
a reply to: Deaf Alien

And that is what that professor was speaking to, this long held misconception that only white men have superior math ability. The perfect example of what you point out is that book and movie Hidden Figures. A story about the white male structure within NASA that held those women to subservient roles do to that very racial and sexual biases.

I thought about that movie as I typed my post. Wonderful movie. I recommend that movie to everyone.

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Yeah, Social studies and English "research" doesn't lead to anything even remotely profitable for the grant providers, so obviously math and science are going to get the big bucks. On a related note, where are all of these mystical white math profs? They certainly weren't at my college... it was majority Asian and middle eastern professors.

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Having a good math teacher is really paramount. Not everyone has the cognitive skills or pattern-matching abilities that the great mathematicians have, but most everyone can learn the basics of higher math, if it is taught correctly. Good teachers destroy that "white privilege" attitude fairly quickly, usually in lecture before the term begins.

In industry, I have found that it is more important to know that an equation can be solved, then actually remembering how to solve it. The online fixes the second part of that fairly easily. Additionally, in my work, I know or have been exposed to many "non-white" colleagues that will blow my math skills away, as well as most everyone else in the whole department. It is, in essence, a gift of sorts.
edit on 25-10-2017 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I think any sane person would agree that the author of the book, Rochelle Gutierrez, is the one practicing discrimination.

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 08:40 PM
link   

I do think she thinks that though. If she didn't, she wouldn't have bothered to bring it up.

Right. No one here believes that. You, or me, or anyone else. The misconception here from what I am reading is that people think that the professor does. THAT is the misconception of this thread.

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Right. No one here believes that. You, or me, or anyone else. The misconception here from what I am reading is that people think that the professor does. THAT is the misconception of this thread.

Someone who spends all their time trying to figure out how to blame race for everything clearly has no racial issues at all.

1. The important subjects do not get enough money.

2, Math gets all the money.

3. Math has a lot of white dudes.

4. Clearly, white privilege is to blame.

That is her thought process. She is blaming race for all this.
edit on 25-10-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Someone who spends all their time trying to figure out how to blame race for everything clearly has no racial issues at all.

Who's trying to blame race on this?

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

Who's trying to blame race on this?

She is. See above.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join