It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Professor claims math is white privilege and teaching it is discrimination

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+28 more 
posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 06:17 PM
link   

A professor at the University of Illinois has advised colleagues to be politically aware while teaching algebra and geometry

"On many levels, mathematics itself operates as Whiteness."

this particular study having become a form of "unearned privilege."

Another form of mathematical discrimination, according to the professor, might be the use of such terms as "Pythagorean theorem and pi,"
Source

Oh, for ****'s sake...
A professor at the University of Illinois is advising fellow instructors to be "politically aware" when teaching math, as according to her, math is an unearned white privilege. One of her arguments is that math professors get more grants than English and social studies professors. Gee, I wonder why? Could it be that you can't build bridges with a social studies degree?
Math does not care whether you're white or black. Math is not racist. Math is not "white privilege". Math is the same regardless of race, sexual orientation, nationality, etc. I'm sure this woman fully understands this though and is simply using her position to spew anti-white hatred and cause racial division like a wolf in sheep's clothing.

How long are people going to tolerate the blatant anti-white racism that is infesting our universities?

+9 more 
posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Limiting math skills and understandings helps keep people in debt, and that allows TPTB to keep people in the proper corral zones.

+12 more 
posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

2+2= racial oppression

These people see racism everywhere, I guess even in teaching math now. Us white people really need to stop learning and bettering ourselves like racist a holes.

Remember kids, if your white, whatever your doing is racist.

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 06:36 PM
link   

FFS she is peddling a book and looking at triggers to get people to buy this #e.

Math is abstract to begin with so one could have a defense.

She argues in support of her point that white math professors generally get more grants than their colleagues in "social studies or English,"

This is her real gripe. She can't get a grant based on her merit, so she has to create trendy talking point to push her book.

John Galt would punch her in the face, for that matter so would Ayn Rand. Hank Rearden would have burnt down the school and walked away. Atlas Shrugged. My shrug in her face would give her a black eye.

Glad my kids have finished Uni and are not in the States.

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Yep and pushes them into English classes which she should have done as she thinks they get easier grants. I mean they don't really teach critical thinking skills and reasoning any longer in English - so win-win

+6 more 
posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantumgamer1776

I noticed she used Pythagorean theorem as an example and not Algebra. That would have outed her as Algebra was developed by Arabs. hahahahaha

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 06:40 PM
link   
We've regressed to a time before the enlightenment. And the state sponsored religion that has taken us there is political correctness. Like other religions it has no place in the state or in our schools.

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Don't East Asians do the best in maths as a racial demographic in America?

Are East Asians white (as in Anglo-European descent) now?

Maybe the professor should find different, "non-discriminating" work. I reckon a professorship at the university of Illinois would easily get them a prestige-matching job. Like a gas station attendant, or an assistant janitor.
edit on -050006pm10kpm by Ohanka because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 06:52 PM
link   
One professor: check
Unqualified to speak about mathematics: check
Using this to sell her book: check

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Oh come on.... Seriously?

I don't know which culture was the first to use math, but certainly the most prominent were the Egyptians. 5000+ BC.

Unless I am colour blind, I am 99% sure that Egyptians aren't white... sooo...

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Call me extreme, but anyone even uttering this crap should be immediately removed from the room they are in, taken outside and shot.

People who stir this kinda crap up are complete morons to society.

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 06:59 PM
link   
So is he saying only white mummies and daddies spend time teaching their kids extra work that may include maths. So they could maybe be successful and have a good job one day, no point earning money if you cant count it. ?
edit on 25-10-2017 by LondonMan because: sp

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 07:02 PM
link   
These so called experts are paving the way to further dumb down the human race. The experts are idiots.

Don't they know the Persians had much to do with the creation of mathematics??

edit on 25-10-2017 by ADSE255 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Leftists want people stupid.

It's so they can create more leftists.

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 07:07 PM
link   

I don't wanna live in this world anymore

This lady is a danger to the advancement of the human race. She might be selling a book but people probably will agree with this garbage. Hell people think the earth is flat.

I'm never really surprised anymore

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   
HAVING RETARDATION AT MATH,I TELL YOU : DON'T LISTEN TO THEM
When you can't do it the WORLD will minimize/stigmatize you poor so fast,YOUR head will spin.
I 'm BEIGE not white, YOU EPICLY STUPID...sorry ...triggers on racism came from personal observations from my own,THEY too are as brown eyed and stupid, so NATURALLY I default to dealing with a private...
They deserve it and we all know it.
HOW much money can media burn, before they need us again?
edit on 25-10-2017 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   
One has to be completely obtuse to disagree with Pythagoras...

Is this thing on???

*crickets*

-Chris

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Christosterone
One has to be completely obtuse to disagree with Pythagoras...

Is this thing on???

*crickets*

-Chris

Acute joke.

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 07:22 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org... hrrm see a lot of non white races making advances since ye old BC days

Before 1000 BC ca. 70,000 BC – South Africa, ochre rocks adorned with scratched geometric patterns (see Blombos Cave).[1] ca. 35,000 BC to 20,000 BC – Africa and France, earliest known prehistoric attempts to quantify time.[2][3][4] c. 20,000 BC – Nile Valley, Ishango Bone: possibly the earliest reference to prime numbers and Egyptian multiplication. c. 3400 BC – Mesopotamia, the Sumerians invent the first numeral system, and a system of weights and measures. c. 3100 BC – Egypt, earliest known decimal system allows indefinite counting by way of introducing new symbols.[5] c. 2800 BC – Indus Valley Civilization on the Indian subcontinent, earliest use of decimal ratios in a uniform system of ancient weights and measures, the smallest unit of measurement used is 1.704 millimetres and the smallest unit of mass used is 28 grams. 2700 BC – Egypt, precision surveying. 2400 BC – Egypt, precise astronomical calendar, used even in the Middle Ages for its mathematical regularity. c. 2000 BC – Mesopotamia, the Babylonians use a base-60 positional numeral system, and compute the first known approximate value of π at 3.125. c. 2000 BC – Scotland, Carved Stone Balls exhibit a variety of symmetries including all of the symmetries of Platonic solids. 1800 BC – Egypt, Moscow Mathematical Papyrus, findings volume of a frustum. c. 1800 BC – Berlin Papyrus 6619 (Egypt, 19th dynasty) contains a quadratic equation and its solution.[5] 1650 BC – Rhind Mathematical Papyrus, copy of a lost scroll from around 1850 BC, the scribe Ahmes presents one of the first known approximate values of π at 3.16, the first attempt at squaring the circle, earliest known use of a sort of cotangent, and knowledge of solving first order linear equations. 1046 BC to 256 BC – China, Zhoubi Suanjing, arithmetic and geometric algorithms and proofs.
with few exceptions i dont see too many "white races" dominating the mathematics originally

en.wikipedia.org... this chicks off her rocker

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 07:30 PM
link   
"Math is racist!"

Says the person who can't do math and has to blame something other than her own ineptitude.

But please ... feel free to explain to me how math oppresses you other than not being willing to make money multiply out of thin air.
edit on 25-10-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join