It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

San Juan Mayor continues to block relief efforts

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

This stinks of corruption...Paid for by the US taxpayers.

Send in the Army corp of engineers to do the job. They are more than capable!!!

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Some good deal that was negotiated! /sarc

Under the contract, the hourly rate was set at $330 for a site supervisor, and at $227.88 for a “journeyman lineman.” The cost for subcontractors, which make up the bulk of Whitefish’s workforce, is $462 per hour for a supervisor and $319.04 for a lineman. Whitefish also charges nightly accommodation fees of $332 per worker and almost $80 per day for food. www.washingtonpost.com... 9e58-e6288544af98_story.html?utm_term=.b3086d8aff6a

Compare to typical wages:

As a helicopter lineman, you can expect to make between $49,000 and $57,000 per year, or a little over $27 per hour as of July 2011. The pay rate is similar for linemen who do not use aerial techniques for repairing wires but climb the poles instead. Many of the lineman positions are with larger companies, including utility companies.
bizfluent.com...

The company, Whitefish, also has ties to Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke. Whitefish is based in Whitefish, Mont., Zinke’s hometown. As the Post reports, Zinke confirmed that he knows Whitefish CEO Andy Techmanski and that Zinke’s son worked a summer job at one of Techmanski’s construction sites. Both Zinke and Techmanski deny that the interior secretary had anything to do with Whitefish’s landing of the $300 million contract.
www.theroot.com...

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: RazorV66

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: knoxie
what she said -

"The contract should be voided right away and a proper process which is clear, transparent, legal, moral and ethical "

it's a tax funded program right? she's absolutely right. lol

Maybe but:

originally posted by: JBurns
Just a short time ago, the Mayor of San Juan in PR (Carmen Cruz) was one of the most vocal opponents of President Trump's relief efforts for the island territory.

...stand up to Trump at your own peril.

His machine goes into warp drive to discredit you and his acolytes follow suit like good sheep.

You don't think that goofy bitch needs to be called out?
If not, then there is something wrong with you.

Maybe you should educate yourself before bending over automatically for Donnie. If you think there's something wrong with me I take that as meaning I'm in the right boat.

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

This stinks of corruption...Paid for by the US taxpayers.

Send in the Army corp of engineers to do the job. They are more than capable!!!

Really? Ask New Orleans how effective they were for and after Katrina!!!!

They have the same red tape to get thru to do their job as our military does. No funds the job doesn't get done or it gets done half assed! Look at our do nothing congress in a non partisan way and you will some day awaken from your stupor......
edit on 25-10-2017 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 02:08 PM
link   
The broken logic and unearned loyalty of Cult45...

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

So its political infighting thats causing the trouble, not lack of help from their government in Washington.

Surrre...

What a lazy-ass response. I know for a fact that you have been a participant in threads on this topic that have, in more than one comment (including a few of mine) spelled out exactly how the problems on PR are the delay in getting goods and services to the people, and not the response of the federal government.

Are you purposefully ignoring all of that because you like to regurgitate tired, discredited claims for fun, or are you truly just not willing to accept it?

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   
The company is a contract / coordination house. Hires people as needed. Truck drivers are getting $50 an hour as fast as they can get there. Linemen will make double that I bet.

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   
with that kind of attitude, one of two things could happen: the u.s. absorbs Puerto Rico and reboots the new state to follow the rules (haha) of other states. removing current leaders and having [rigged] elections.
OR
we completely leave them to their own devices and let the people of PR revolt and come crawling to us against the wishes of the ridiculous government jerk offs they're dealing with now.

either way, we should begin accepting that PR WILL eventually become the next state.

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
The broken logic and unearned loyalty of Cult45...

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   
. These people are always big on insults and outrage, but they all have one thing in common: they lack any cohesive idea about an effective alternative response (big mouths, little ideas

Kind of like the Republicans and Obama care right ?
They had years to come up with a plan and didn't do anything accept complain about what we had. I guess they were expecting Hillary to be handed the win too , or they would have done something......maybe.

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: PolyCottonBlend

You and I and everyone knows there will be MASS EXODUS to the US if they become a United State.

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
The company is a contract / coordination house. Hires people as needed. Truck drivers are getting $50 an hour as fast as they can get there. Linemen will make double that I bet.

Linemen are making well over double that, in the contract.

Under the contract, the hourly rate was set at $330 for a site supervisor, and at $227.88 for a “journeyman lineman.” The cost for subcontractors, which make up the bulk of Whitefish’s workforce, is $462 per hour for a supervisor and $319.04 for a lineman. Whitefish also charges nightly accommodation fees of $332 per worker and almost $80 per day for food. www.washingtonpost.com... 9e58-e6288544af98_story.html?utm_term=.b3086d8aff6a

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: windword
I just wanted to add a little anecdotal info for context on the rates your source mentioned.
227.50 An hour is only just over double what a contractor would charge a client for a Journeyman level employee in normal work conditions. PR is way different than normal work conditions.
While i was working as a Journeyman, for the pipe-fitters local in ATL GA, my hourly wage ranged from 27.50-47.00 an hour depending on the shift. However when the contractor billed the client the hourly rate for my labor it started at 80.00 an hour in normal work conditions and no per-diem.

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: RogueWaterC1

Yeah okay, but........

Whitefish also charges nightly accommodation fees of $332 per worker and almost $80 per day for food.

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

What a lazy-ass response. I know for a fact that you have been a participant in threads on this topic that have, in more than one comment (including a few of mine) spelled out exactly how the problems on PR are the delay in getting goods and services to the people, and not the response of the federal government.

Not that you really care, and despite that your minds made up about what I think...

Any delay getting goods to people, be it crony puppets in their gubment or our gubment deflecting blame on them for their troubles.

Both are true, both reflect on our gubments unwillingness to actually help.

Really?

Same thing happened to Haiti-- Big noises about helping them, too.

How can this nation let thousands die so close to home and yet claim to be helping nations so far from home by dropping bombs on them?

Because it doesn't really care about helping anyone but itself.

As your ridicule post just reminded me again.

edit on 25-10-2017 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

originally posted by: seeker1963

originally posted by: knoxie
what she said -

"The contract should be voided right away and a proper process which is clear, transparent, legal, moral and ethical "

it's a tax funded program right? she's absolutely right. lol

You do realize how long it takes for the government to take bids right? Guess not! You would rather see the people of Puerto Rico suffer due your political bias.

Can you explain to us what two men are going to do by themselves to restore power to PR?

You're the one so full of bias it's leaking out of your ears. Trump can't admit that he handled PR horribly from the get go. In order to save his ego he has to malign anyone calling him on his BS and you're just wagging your tail like a good puppy.

I am in no way defending this decision to hire this company, but a little Google action with the tips of your fingertips can answer your questions for you.

Whitefish said Monday that it has 280 workers in the territory, using linemen from across the country, most of them as subcontractors, and that the number grows on average from 10 to 20 people a day. It said it was close to completing infrastructure work that will energize some of the key industrial facilities that are critical to restarting the local economy.

www.washingtonpost.com... 9e58-e6288544af98_story.html?utm_term=.7f7a3269ae99

Not too bad for a little two employee company. I am just saying that 300 million is enough to get the ball rolling here.

I am in no way in favor of the decisions that the past or current administrations have and will make, but if people want power, then something has to be done.

Help if I got awarded 300 mil, I could also get the ball rolling. Being in the construction industry there are hundreds, thousands of people that would line up to help out.
edit on 25-10-2017 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-10-2017 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: dashen
With every passing day I wonder why tarring and Feathering goons like this went out of style.

Dash, I frequently wonder this myself

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
a reply to: PolyCottonBlend

You and I and everyone knows there will be MASS EXODUS to the US if they become a United State.

They can already come to the US.

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: liejunkie01

Well, I hope the subcontractors are qualified.

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

The exodus happen already when PR was given territory status by the US, it was a time when NY was full of Puertorricans.

Now you can find them in every state in the nation, right now the federal government have given priority travel for Puertorricans to come to the US after the hurricane for free.

About 35 thousands has taken the offer.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join