It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will the B-21 have a "Morphing Wing"?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 12:46 PM
link   
"ITS MORPHING TIME! Shape of A Strategic Bomber"...........An interesting article today int he War Zone. A long discussion on the evolution of the morphing wing and how it would be applicable to stealth aircraft. Traditional flaps and ailerons would be simply part of the wing and lack a joint. This in turn would allow the wing to reconfigure itself to optimize whatever phase of flight it is in for example cruise. Plus lacking joints, the aircraft could maintain its stealth better when maneuvering. Lockmart already incorporated some morphing capability in the Polecat UAV. This wing of course would have alot of application in the civilian sector as well

www.thedrive.com...

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   
AND LASERS, gotta have em..

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7

I don't know. On a strategic platform? I assume lasers would be detectable and contrary to its primary mission.

On the other hand if we had a shark

You know, I have one simple request. And that is to have sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads! Now evidently my cycloptic colleague informs me that that cannot be done. Ah, would you remind me what I pay you people for, honestly? Throw me a bone here! What do we have? "

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

Seriously, why does everyone forget MAW? That was the breakthrough that let them get to where they are now, and it's like it never happened. They were flying that in 1985. It didn't do as much as current wings can do, which is why it didn't really go very far, but it was the ground breaking idea to start the whole field off.

In the early 1980s the supercritical wing on the F-111A aircraft was replaced with a wing built by Boeing Aircraft Company System called a "mission adaptive wing" (MAW). This wing had an internal mechanism to flex the outer wing skin and produce a high camber section for subsonic speeds, a supercritical section for transonic speeds, and symmetrical section for supersonic speeds. The surface irregularities from leading edge slates was eliminated and trailing edge flap effects reduced. The use of flexible wing skins to produce a smooth upper surface brought this wing a little closer in concept to that of a bird.

A digital flight control system provided automatic changes to the wing geometry. The system had four automatic control modes: (1) Maneuver Camber Control - adjusting camber shape for peak aerodynamic efficiency; (2) Cruise Camber Control - for maximum speed at any altitude and power setting; (3) Maneuver Load Control - providing the highest possible aircraft load factor (4) Maneuver Enhancement Alleviation - in part attempting to reduce the effects of gusts on airplane ride. The AFTI/F-111 MAW system had 59 flights from 1985 through 1988. The flight test data showed a drag reduction of around 7 percent at the wing design cruise point to over 20 percent at an off-design condition. The four automatic modes were tested in flight with satisfactory results.

www.nasa.gov...
edit on 10/25/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 01:28 PM
link   

What about as an incoming SAM deterrent?

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   

I would prefer if the plane launched sharks, and the sharks had the lasers.

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   

What about as an incoming SAM deterrent?

Possibly, but defensive lasers designed to blind income IR A2A are a different than a laser designed for offensive purposes

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I dont forget zaphod. I was a big proponant of it for a few years now. Just that nobody ever considers what i write in the threads.

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Back on subject of a morphing planform for the b21. While i think it would cause too many complications when combined with other northrop proprietary technologies i wouldnt doubt its use on other types or aircraft.

The b21 probably has anti flutter type of morphing wings to keep her flight stable and smooth reducing detectable turbulance but i doubt any major morphing like changing wing shape dramatically unles the bomber is intended for both high alt and low alt penetration. But these days why would it need low alt penetration. And i dont think its trans or supersonic.

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Also could potentially use the radar as an offensive weapon to burn incoming things too.

Lasers can also make things that can then be used for a myriad of applications. Offensive defensive and othet

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

Wouldn't work against a SAM. They're radar guided so you'd need a pretty powerful laser. An IRCM system works by using a low power laser to blind the seeker. A radar guided missile doesn't have a seeker to blind without burning through the missile.

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Ah but lasers can make something that will screw over a radar guided missile

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 03:00 PM
link   
MAW was a pretty advanced concept for its time. Nowadays a pretty advanced concept would be the lack of wings.

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 03:04 PM
link   

I've never heard that pole cat utilized an adaptive wing before. Was that public knowledge? Pole cat to me was always one of those weird "cancelations". It seems to have gotten a lot of press lately for a 10 year old dead demonstrator

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 03:05 PM
link   
www.bloomberg.com...
Interesting article " clean sheet design " Hmmm. "won’t be an adaptation of the B-2 stealth bomber "
edit on 25-10-2017 by darksidius because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Fastmover

And without it, they wouldn't be as far as they are with adaptive wings.

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Bfirez

Because Lockheed released a picture of some of their staff in a hangar, and guess what was behind them.

It wasn't an official program though. They were demonstrating they could build something along those lines on the cheap and it could do what they were looking for. After it crashed there wasn't a point to it continuing. They had proven their point.

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: darksidius

Just because they look similar doesn't mean it's based on the B-2.

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I agree, surely a lot of works on software and drawing it seem that they start of a clean page with what they say in the article. " it’s a brand new, clean-sheet design " exciting .... surely a lot of surprise on it ]

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 06:07 PM
link   

No I'm speaking of a "NIFTY Dugway NSAP ,special" that has effective terminal attenuation on the the incoming bird,be it air to air or SAM.
www.defensenews.com...
edit on 25-10-2017 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join