It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone here a member of a Greek Social Fraternity/Sorority (still in college or alumni)?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I'm just curious if any of the members on this site are brothers/or sisters of the Greek system of Fraternities or Sororities, members of the Interfraternity Conference (IFC), various PanHellenic based councils (Pan-Hell), Multicultural Greek Council, Black lettered Greek organizations, etc. I'm sorry if I missed some council or organization but I think this may encompass all the various Greek organizations.

I'm also looking for people who are involved in academic related fraternities like Phi Beta Kappa and Alpha Kappa Psi (only "non-social" though they do engage in social functions - I currently know).

There has been A LOT of media coverage in my state about issues at PSU regarding many deaths and even more hospitalizations not to mention various claims of misconduct within the houses during parties or private or social functions. Many of these issues are related to pledging and I an wondering if these new problems are more a reflection of the pledges or if it is that the process has progressively gotten worse, having lack of over-sight and responsibility, etc. I had 9 semesters of taking care of various issues related to this and have some stories that would terrify some of the bravest members but my tenure was at the end of the Clinton Presidency and the beginning of Bush Jr, so it was a little while ago.

So, if you are a active brother/sister or an alumni, I'm interested in hearing from you to get an idea of how many people we have on this board with this experience. Please list when (or there about) you were a student, pledge length (weeks, months, amount of time spent daily, etc).

I'm wondering when we are going to see transgender people trying to get into these organizations (so a genetically born male, transitions to female - can he/she join a sorority??) This could be a MAJOR issue that MANY people within these organizations would have ZERO tolerance for and I suspect there would be violence should someone try to impose their desire to join.

Another issue is race. A fraternity founded in the heart of the confederacy, that has 5 black members over 140 years, getting called racist because they won't let a black person join (not to mention that they didn't give bids to over 65% of the white members that rushed the fraternity) - but a lawsuit of discrimination could be brought and make the fraternity look bad but it's simply b/c the black person rushing was not a fit for the fraternity (in SOOO many ways - color was the least of it). So, from looking at this, similar cases could be made where people were more closely aligned with the fraternity/sorority values and other bonding issues. I'm looking for insight into this issue as well.

Finally I'm VERY concerned about Rush and pledging. Pledges have absolutely NO power in their position and if there are some sadistic brothers/sisters (there are MANY more than you can imagine) they are at their mercy and they can make you do whatever they want (for the most part - they can't make you kill someone or rob a bank) and if you refuse then you are in for a world of hurt and possibly being blackballed (and the rest of the pledge class gets punished as well). Being forced to drink a 1/5 of 80 proof vodka (750ml) in 20-30 mins after 3 weeks of non drinking, very little eating, total sleep deprivation, can lead to MAJOR health issues and it seems that this is what many people have to do on their bid nights, exchanges, big brother/sister nights and when they get in (among other special days during pledging). I'm concerned that today's brothers/sisters don't understand that these pledges need to be baby-sat NON-STOP during this period until they wake up in the morning and have breakfast (maybe be prudent watch them until Lunch)

Procedures need to be established for these organizations to follow when they fear a pledge, party guest, brother/sister, etc is having an adverse reaction. Placing them on an old couch in the basement with a blanket and checking on them 8 hours later, isn't a proper plan of action.

All I can say is that I am glad I had a large pledge class and we were really tight and would look out for each other and say "F U - Brothers" if one of us was in crisis, so we had each others backs and we could manage to oversee those who were having a bad night (usually b/c we were forced to drink in a "race" by brothers and their "dates" - followed by a hellish morning where they made us do heavy labor while having MASSIVE headaches, still drunk, nauseated, etc - it was planned sadistic behavior to prove their power to their girlfriends - most of which us pledges later got with behind the brothers back in repayment

I'm ESPECIALLY interested in those who are still in college or graduated in the last 2 years.
I'm really looking forward to hearing from any of your responses!

PS - if you are in some other college organization that is similar to how the Greek system operates, I'm open to hearing about those as well but I want to stick to COLLEGE/University organizations - I have my reasons. I'm going to be getting to another thread about this type of thing happening in the military, police, state and federal agencies, etc as well as - So PLEASE stick to the stated topic - Much thanks!
edit on 10 24 2017 by DigginFoTroof because: only posted topic first time somehow...

The reason for asking if you are a "Greek" is so I can get an idea of whether it is worth talking about some things related to this topic (Greek system related) or not within this form. If there are only 5 members then there may be other forums that this discussion may be more successful. I mean no offense to anyone here for asking this, it's just that if you haven't been through the process you really have no idea what goes on.

I would have posted a poll but I've never seen those on this site.

edit on 10 24 2017 by DigginFoTroof because: Posted reason for asking who was "Greek" and the "polling" issue

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

Responding to the title, no.

Responding to the post, lol. Don't worry, it gets easier.

We should make this the number one thread on ATS, just to see if we can.
edit on 24-10-2017 by 3daysgone because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Yes, Why do you want to know?

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: 3daysgone

Got a f and s from me!

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 08:41 PM
link   
In before substance!

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Does Animal-House count?

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 08:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Nothin

Yes, but Lamba Lamba Lamba does too. Bit nerdy.

Yay! You got it up.πŸ‘πŸ‘
Interesting.. I went to College, but I had my own apartment(s) or house. I have friends that joined fraternities, but honestly I don't know of the process or how it is applied in the movie business.

edit on 24-10-2017 by Bigburgh because: The OP fix his her threadπŸ€—

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Sigma Phi Epsilon

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

(S)igma (T)au (D)elta.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   
When I started the new post, I entered the Subject/title and hit tab and the next thing I know it had posted (normal keyboard layout so tab and enter are basically on opposite sides....) I have no idea how that happened, then I couldn't delete it.

As a new member, haven't found what all the things are on each post/reply, like the stars on each of the replies on a thread. Also what are the flags about at the top of the thread?

For all others, I'm asking so I can get an idea of whether it is worth talking about some things related to this topic (Greek system related) or not within this form. If there are only 5 members then there may be other forums that this discussion may be more successful. I mean no offense to anyone here for asking this, it's just that if you haven't been through the process you really have no idea what goes on.

IDK who the movie studios use for info when they do movies about the Greek system, but they are often 90% wrong and the 10% that is "right" is totally mis-represented in some way. I'm wondering if this is not some kind of agenda due to this portrayal.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 10:09 PM
link   
My brother's best friend was in one back in the '90s. He described them as "post-graduation career benefit clubs", as in a lot of "first dips/career networking/benefit of likely knowing someone on the inside in your chosen profession" perks. He wasn't particularly impressed with his fraternity, or the concept of them.
He said he expected something useful & more like an academic AAA, but experienced the grocery store discount card club. He said it was basically what the stereotype holds -- a bunch of academically mediocre horny drunk guys with money to blow. Other than the career path affiliation perks while attending, he says didn't benefit much from the club itself. He didn't get the frat affiliation edge to his career that was/is so touted after graduation.

I've never known the man to blow smoke up someone's ass over anything, so I believe his impression to be very honest.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Phi Kappa Theta

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Yabba Dabba Doo.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Yes, but it's been a decade. Even then our school had a zero hazing policy. True no hazing done whatsoever besides dumb stuff like memorizing dates, facts about people, etc. If you failed their test, then maybe you were punished by not being able to attend something fun. Nothing but a positive/boring experience.

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 05:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: DigginFoTroof
When I started the new post, I entered the Subject/title and hit tab and the next thing I know it had posted

New people are often caught by this software quirk.
For future reference, you need to click on the edit box just below the title field, immediately after typing the title words. It might even be safer to get your main text in before adding the title.

Not an American, so I can't contribute to your main topic.

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Delta Sigma Phi

YITBOS

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Delta Chi

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 07:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Delta Chi

Stop, I've seen you, it's more like Chi A Pet.

edit on 25-10-2017 by AugustusMasonicus because: πŸ‘οΈ πŸ’“ πŸ§€ πŸ•

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Alpha Delta Eta Pi Theta (the creeps in the sleeps)...

No! I Am Not A Member! Just an on guard βˆ†uty.

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   

I've never been in a sorority but have this to share with you.
My family was in the "specialty insurance" industry. Up until the late 90's/early 200's the company would insure sororities/fraternities. With the increase of accidents/deaths up through that time, they decided to not insure them anymore. Too much liability and too many claims. Many other insurance companies followed suit. That led to very high premiums for a fraternity; passed onto the members.
I can't imagine what the premiums are now. Back then, insurance was required of the fraternity/sorority. I'm not sure if it still is. I'd be curious to know what each member has to pay in dues. In the late 90's/early 2000's my friends had higher dues (whatever they call it now) because of the insurance and paid $300 per school year.
Hope that helps!

new topics

top topics

join