It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Olive Branch

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 09:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3daysgone

originally posted by: introvert

originally posted by: introvert
No use in trying to come together as a nation, in regards to politics, unless we get more people to take the time to become better informed and most importantly, they learn to be honest.

There are too many among us that approach politics in a similar manner as football fans do. They don't care about the truth or doing the right thing. They just want their team to win, no matter what they have to do to get that win, and will do everything in their power to tear down the other side in the process.

Until we can get people past the neanderthal-like thinking, we are just coming together to yell at each other a bit more.

This thread isn't for you then. It is only for the one's who think that we can come together.

You may be correct. I'm not one to believe in pipe dreams.

Neither am I.

Then you should know that we are not going to see a situation in which we can all come together and agree enough to a point where we could all say "this is the kind of president we want".

It's not going to happen when so many people are misinformed, ill-informed and unwilling to be honest in their interactions.

Well informed and honest people are more likely to be open to compromise and that is not going to happen any time soon.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword
a reply to: 3daysgone

What if we worked together to nominate a candidate for President in 2020 that most, if not all, of us can agree upon.

Tom Hanks!

Can you do the research and present an argument as to why you think he would be the one that most would agree upon?

Tom Hanks: 'If you're concerned about what's going on today, read history'

"People are upset about what's going on today. They're furious, they're frustrated, they're worked up," Hanks said. "If you're concerned about what's going on today, read history and figure out what to do because it's all right there."

"Let's have that discussion, let's have that be part and parcel to an ongoing reexamination about what is taught about (America's founding)," Hanks said. However, he said he does not believe that the dialogue needs to include destruction.
"But the destruction, the destruction is anti-social, period, the end. Be intelligent, and be smart, write about it, bring it up, talk about it," he said.

Hanks spoke with optimism about the future of the United States, saying that striving to be better is ingrained in the American ethos.

"As we continually move towards a more perfect union, that magnificent document (the US Constitution) out there, that might be the only self-correcting, open-ended document anywhere on the planet Earth (that) keeps us going, that keeps saying that we're going to learn how to do that one thing we've already sort of done, we're going to become better and better and better," he said.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting
The last thing we need is another freakin' celebrity. No.

Al Frankin!

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
I don't want a leader, I want to control my own destiny.

The fn scam of choice needs to be changed. Manipulate the crowd enough to keep them occupied.

We can realtime post our pets pictures, but we have to rely on a bunch of crusty power hungry s-heads to with their own agendas, bad budget scams and embezzlement of tax dollars.

Think we've had enough of the "representation"

The internet and instant communication is here, time to use it to shape our futures, not watch a few play crash n profit over and over while increasing average taxation to 50% of their lives work.

Politics are getting exhausting, dividing and annoying, while a few get rich.

When in reality, they should all be in the prisons they built for us.

There is truth is that post. Who do you believe could help?

link   

Sadly, what I have discovered is that regardless who is in office, nothing will ever get accomplished to the betterment of the people as long as we have the same congress.

I honestly believe that if Hillary had been elected, this congress would be kissing her canckles.

link   

a reply to: Skywatcher2011

Dude, that's not the transparency I was talking about

Hahaha...that is as transparent as politicians get hahahahah...sigh~ so true

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Very good.
You are the first to back it up with research.

Tom Hanks is in the hat.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Al Frankin!

hm. Now we're gettin' somewhere. : )

But No.
edit on 10/24/2017 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Sadly, what I have discovered is that regardless who is in office, nothing will ever get accomplished to the betterment of the people as long as we have the same congress.

Very true. But we can also change congress.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: TobyFlenderson

I don't have anyone to nominate but I have a few characteristics that I would be looking for: 1. not a career politician, 2. an iconoclast, 3. proven to be intrepid, 4. of moderate to high intelligence, 5. indefatigable, 6. not on social media. Is there anyone who can fit that bill?

I don't know.

Who comes to mind?

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nothin

Bless you for trying to make peace, and for being constructive.

My personal fear is that the type of folks that seek these leadership positions, are usually the type of person you wouldn't trust with the treasury of your kid's Judo-club.

It's a den of wolves. Snake-pit. Swamp filled with evil swamp-creatures.

Well you are not misguided by that fear, because that is what some are.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

I think most people want someone who will do the right thing. I also think a lot of us disagree sharply on what we believe the right thing to be.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I think most people want someone who will do the right thing. I also think a lot of us disagree sharply on what we believe the right thing to be.

That is true, but shouldn't we also have things that we would all believe to be right?

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   

The fn scam of choice needs to be changed. Manipulate the crowd enough to keep them occupied.

We can realtime post our pets pictures, but we have to rely on a bunch of crusty power hungry s-heads to with their own agendas, bad budget scams and embezzlement of tax dollars.

The internet and instant communication is here, time to use it to shape our futures, not watch a few play crash n profit over and over while increasing average taxation to 50% of their lives work.

I really don't know, I can't even vote to have a say in my life, own a firearm to protect my family from criminals, or get a job at McDonalds, because some f-head racist back in the day thought it would be cute to criminilize MJ into a felony to remove people from society.

I can sure as hell be taxed without representation though.

Or more depressing still, watching guys fight for their side of the same coin.

Not to sound too emtional, but damn this thing is rigged.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Here's a true story, if you will read it, do.

Years and years ago my state became fed up with politicians. There was this little ole multi-millionaire living in some little town in some little county no body ever heard of or went to. Apparently they thought he was the most wonderful guy EVER. (I think they all worked for him or something.) Soon, his ads were all over the T.V. and papers, running for governor, and he was elected. Out of nowhere. He had amassed a great amount of wealth, so somehow people equated that to omnipotence.

I promise you, within a year our state went to hell in a handbasket. He was flying himself, his staff, and his family all over the place in state planes. He was letting his granddaughter and her friends overrun the state capitol. He hired a bunch of his cronies who knew as little about running a government as he did. We had, suddenly, no money. No new industry. Everything was a mess. Oh, "he didn't know". "he wasn't aware"... blah blah blah.

So. Next go-round we elected a POLITICIAN, who understood state government, could manage the economy, bring in industry, (and all those things politicians are typically educated to do.)

He got us straightened out in short order. So. I think politicians get a bad rap, even thought politics is their trained profession. They know how to make laws, get them passed, and run a government.

So hiss and boo. We need a person who is educated in running a government, and folks, most of the time -- that's a politician.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 09:22 PM
link   

I really don't know, I can't even vote to have a say in my life, own a firearm to protect my family from criminals, or get a job at McDonalds, because some f-head racist back in the day thought it would be cute to criminilize MJ into a felony to remove people from society.

I can sure as hell be taxed without representation though.

Or more depressing still, watching guys fight for their side of the same coin.

Not to sound too emtional, but damn this thing is rigged.

Yeah, that is something that needs to change. Maybe a third, or even fourth party nominate is needed.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Here's a true story, if you will read it, do.

Years and years ago my state became fed up with politicians. There was this little ole multi-millionaire living in some little town in some little county no body ever heard of or went to. Apparently they thought he was the most wonderful guy EVER. (I think they all worked for him or something.) Soon, his ads were all over the T.V. and papers, running for governor, and he was elected. Out of nowhere. He had amassed a great amount of wealth, so somehow people equated that to omnipotence.

I promise you, within a year our state went to hell in a handbasket. He was flying himself, his staff, and his family all over the place in state planes. He was letting his granddaughter and her friends overrun the state capitol. He hired a bunch of his cronies who knew as little about running a government as he did. We had, suddenly, no money. No new industry. Everything was a mess. Oh, "he didn't know". "he wasn't aware"... blah blah blah.

So. Next go-round we elected a POLITICIAN, who understood state government, could manage the economy, bring in industry, (and all those things politicians are typically educated to do.)

He got us straightened out in short order. So. I think politicians get a bad rap, even thought politics is their trained profession. They know how to make laws, get them passed, and run a government.

So hiss and boo. We need a person who is educated in running a government, and folks, most of the time -- that's a politician.

I can't argue with that point, but there are some people who are not politicians that could do the job just as well.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 09:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Exactly.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Who?

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Al Frankin!

hm. Now we're gettin' somewhere. : )

But No.

Why not? A lot of people are encouraging Al Frankin to run. I don't think he will, but I find his intellectual approach and patient intolerance for deceit so refreshing!
edit on 24-10-2017 by windword because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join