It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"AZ Senator Jeff Flake: Mr. President, I rise today to say - enough."

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+66 more 
posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Mr. President, I rise today to address a matter that has been much on my mind, at a moment when it seems that our democracy is more defined by our discord and our dysfunction than it is by our values and our principles. Let me begin by noting a somewhat obvious point that these offices that we hold are not ours to hold indefinitely. We are not here simply to mark time. Sustained incumbency is certainly not the point of seeking office. And there are times when we must risk our careers in favor of our principles.

Now is such a time.

It must also be said that I rise today with no small measure of regret. Regret, because of the state of our disunion, regret because of the disrepair and destructiveness of our politics, regret because of the indecency of our discourse, regret because of the coarseness of our leadership, regret for the compromise of our moral authority, and by our – all of our – complicity in this alarming and dangerous state of affairs. It is time for our complicity and our accommodation of the unacceptable to end....

More at link.

This will undoubtedly go down as an historic moment. True Republicans can now hopefully awake from a long stupor. But, alas, the insane Bannon-ites of the Alt-Right will certainly smell blood in the water, this is just the first salvo. In fact, a Bannon acolyte has already been quoted as saying "Another scalp..."

Hopefully, by 2018, we will be able to look back and see this as the day that good and decent Republicans reclaimed their party and their values .

It's speaks volumes that the only way to hold on to true Republican philosophy and conservative values is to leave the party.

They must be high-fiving in the White House and at the Kremlin. For now. But the day will come when Trump throws in the towel...and it won't be too soon.
edit on 10/24/2017 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/24/2017 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

+70 more 
posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

Dumb ass republicans like this guy don't seem to realize that trump is a direct result of their complete lack of leadership over the last decade.

+11 more 
posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Cuz your a Supporter of good Republicans?? And what make them good? Democrat in republican clothing perhaps???

+6 more 
posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Good for him.

More people within the Republican Party need to take a stand. I have said all along that I think that after next year things are going to get very difficult for Trump and his standing in the party with the mid-tearm elections. I would say this could be the start of it but lets face it, there have been much bigger names that have fell as a result of this presidency and its changed nothing.

Still I admire anyone who takes a stand like this.

Its quite a sorry state of affairs though, Pence would possibly be worse than Trump.
edit on 24-10-2017 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

+28 more 
posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Flake has been there how long?

And what has he done to stop anything the Demcorats have done to destroy the country?

Nothing.

But now that something happened he didn't like and mostly happened because he and many others like him did squat when they had power, he's ... quitting! Oooo, Eeee, Aaaah, quitting isn't leadership.

Isn't that what they all said when Palin did it?

This just reconfirms what we all knew. He has no spine and no fight.
edit on 24-10-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

And another thing ... while I am giving a piece of my mind ...

I'll bet every single one of the demcrats hate Trump even more than Flake does, but you won't see even one of them quitting. Know why? They have spine and fight, and that's the problem. We don't have Republicans that do, and that's why you have Trump right. freakin'. now. He showed what none of them had.
edit on 24-10-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

+11 more 
posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Dumb ass republicans like this guy don't seem to realize that trump is a direct result of their complete lack of leadership over the last decade.

Yep! I'd rather have coarseness and action for the people than smooth talking polite politicians who then screw the people behind the scenes.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Doesn't this make 3 in the last month?

+18 more 
posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Jeff Flake the man that took the title from Mitch McConnell to become the most unpopular senator in America, you won't be missed.

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 03:06 PM
link   

true Republican philosophy and conservative values

Could you explain what you mean by this part a little more please?

EDIT = he was going to lose majorly in the primaries next year, could play a large part in this grandstanding today.
edit on 24-10-2017 by 200Plus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 03:07 PM
link   

The notion that one should stay silent as the norms and values that keep America strong are undermined and as the alliances and agreements that ensure the stability of the entire world are routinely threatened by the level of thought that goes into 140 characters — the notion that one should say and do nothing in the face of such mercurial behavior is ahistoric and, I believe, profoundly misguided.

Amen to that.. And I'm an atheist. And a democrat.

But this isn't about politics - it's about integrity - the integrity of our highest office, the person in it and the nation. I listened to it live and kept thinking that this is a caliber of speech that Trump could never give - this man sounds like a true leader and a man of integrity, both of which, leadership and integrity, Trump sorely lacks. I can see it now - Trump's 6th grade response, via twitter of course - "Flakey Jeff Flake can't take it and is quitting" What the hell kind of nation are we living in now.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 03:07 PM
link   
And conspiracy theory:

This is how the Republicans plan to lose the Senate.

They quit.

+21 more 
posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   
He could switch parties, change his first name to Snow and fit right in.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   
What a flake!!

You heard it here first!

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
And conspiracy theory:

This is how the Republicans plan to lose the Senate.

They quit.

You might not be far off.

Trumps approval ratings are at 35-40% depending on who you ask, pretty much the worse approval ratings of any POTUS, the consensus seems to be growing that he is one of the worst presidents ever.

The Republicans could be crapping themselves that after four years of Trump the party could be destroyed and as such their plan might be to spin it. They, the republicans, take action to remove him, such as them quitting, and spin it as them being the ones to get rid of Trump, for the good of the nation, despite party politics because the Democrats were to weak to act.

+11 more 
link   
Awesome. Now can we get Mitch McConnell and Paul Ryan to quit?

The Republicans don't realize that right-wing Americans want the swamp drained out of the Republican party too, not just the Democrats.

+3 more 
link   
a reply to: redtic

this man sounds like a true leader and a man of integrity, both of which, leadership and integrity, Trump sorely lacks. I can see it now - Trump's 6th grade response, via twitter of course - "Flakey Jeff Flake can't take it and is quitting" What the hell kind of nation are we living in now.

Do some reading on Flake, maybe you will edit your butt kissing of Flake then.

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   

The writing is on the wall for the RINO's. "Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out!".

+8 more 
posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: 200Plus

What I mean is Trump is not a real Republican and certainly not a conservative. He's a populist, maybe not even that. More like an agitator. And an ass. Among other even more unseemly and opportunistic traits.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Wait until the majority of "Us" have actually figured out that there are far more of "Us" than there are of "Them" Then when another politico cries UNCLE like Mr. Flake and throws in the towel, it'll just be met w/added energy to clear the whole mess which is U.S. Politics...

One down and the rest to go, and "We" don't give 2 squirts what letter(s) they have either before or after their name...

Segue:

I've noticed football players that have their surname followed by "Sr"

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   
He had 7 years to get a plan together for obamacare.
Good riddance to bad rubbish.
I wish more of them would quit.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join