It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GAO: Climate change already costing US billions in losses

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   
The Congressional General Accounting Office (GAO) released a report on Monday that indicated Climate Change is already costing American Taxpayers billions of dollars in disaster relief and rebuilding costs.
GAO: Climate change already costing US billions in losses

A non-partisan federal watchdog says climate change is already costing U.S. taxpayers billions of dollars each year, with those costs expected to rise as devastating storms, floods, wildfires and droughts become more frequent in the coming decades.

"The federal government has not undertaken strategic government-wide planning to manage climate risks by using information on the potential economic effects of climate change to identify significant risks and craft appropriate federal responses," the study said. "By using such information, the federal government could take the initial step in establishing government-wide priorities to manage such risks."

Fortunately the Trump Administration can't silence every agency in the government that is analyzing the Climate Change risk. There are a few critical thinkers still working on the problem.

-dex

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Sounds like some left-over alarmists are still working.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley

Accountants, they're scientists now are they?

Tell accounting if they want to save money to stop bombing the world.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Accountants, they're scientists now are they?

Tell accounting if they want to save money to stop bombing the world.

While I don't necessarily disagree with that sentiment, the article also goes on the say:

The report's authors reviewed 30 government and academic studies examining the national and regional impacts of climate change. They also interviewed 28 experts familiar with the strengths and limitations of the studies, which rely on future projections of climate impacts to estimate likely costs.

So they didn't come up with those numbers all by themselves.

-dex

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Yes, climate change is real. No, the idea that taxing people to gather money while not really addressing the cause of climate change world wide is not the answer. Their solution is to tax people then create more technology to sell people which causes more destruction of the environment when they create it. We need to simplify things, not make them more costly. Most times the ecological impact of creating replacement products that are a little more efficient hurts the environment more than helps it.

Build things to last a long time, that would be the best solution. Building new power plants is wasteful, work on making chimney scrubbers at a reasonable price, the fact is these technologies to clean are very overly expensive. The government makes things expensive with their picky rules which usually means that only a few manufacturers products are approved. It has been that way for a long time, this is nothing new. Someone's palm gets greased or contributed to.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Apparently only in the legislative branch of the government. Most real scientists have been purged from the managerial levels of the executive branch.

-dex

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   

I imagine they added up all the hurricane cost (running total), thats direct cause and effect. Including global warming to blame that for the Hurricanes.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Yes, climate change is real. No, the idea that taxing people to gather money while not really addressing the cause of climate change world wide is not the answer. Their solution is to tax people then create more technology to sell people which causes more destruction of the environment when they create it. We need to simplify things, not make them more costly. Most times the ecological impact of creating replacement products that are a little more efficient hurts the environment more than helps it.

Build things to last a long time, that would be the best solution. Building new power plants is wasteful, work on making chimney scrubbers at a reasonable price, the fact is these technologies to clean are very overly expensive. The government makes things expensive with their picky rules which usually means that only a few manufacturers products are approved. It has been that way for a long time, this is nothing new. Someone's palm gets greased or contributed to.

I don't disagree with that at all.

However, I think that building a more resilient infrastructure is also needed. As far as addressing the anthropogenic elements of climate change, I don't know what the answer is.

-dex

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I imagine they added up all the hurricane cost (running total), thats direct cause and effect. Including global warming to blame that for the Hurricanes.

While I haven't read the report, I would assume that their calculations are based on the added costs of climate change.

If they are simply totaling the cost of all climate-related disasters, without specifically looking at the increased costs due to Climate Change, then that would completely invalidate the conclusions of the report.

-dex

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Nobody wants to do what needs to be done.

Just the agricultural losses alone are adding up by the day.

Large scale, indoor growing operations will be about the only way to prepare for what is coming. Where are those startups? Where are the vertical farming fanatics?

Seems like most would rather name the cause than present solutions.

Oh, and the government never has any solutions.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: DexterRiley

However, I think that building a more resilient infrastructure is also needed. As far as addressing the anthropogenic elements of climate change, I don't know what the answer is.

-dex

They need to move back the homes from the risky areas. Rebuilding in the same place is not always wise, there are other pieces of land to build homes on in better locations. Better infrastructure is a good idea, but also some relocation out of those risky spots caused by the climate change is needed too.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Wouldn't it be more accurate for them to say that the weather costs billions more?

Factor in snow removal and erosion control and there would be even more billions.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 02:00 PM
link   

I’ll give you that, the alarmist’s messaging approach was front and center back in the day. Need better messaging — I’ll lament not having beachfront property when I’m old enough to give a #.

link   

DP

edit on 24-10-2017 by BeefNoMeat because: DP

link   

Its amazing, only the far left can believe in climate change. NOT. Why do over 90% of climate scientist all agree, that its happening and its real. I guess they all are far left, probably very uneducated scientist, who only have degrees in the field in question. Someone who maybe, lets say got a business degree would know far more about the climate than a climatologist.

edit on 24-10-2017 by kurthall because: fix

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 02:02 PM
link   
More liberal B.S. to push the NWO. The real information was hidden by the past administration, not anymore. Climate change is natural chemtrails are not. a reply to: DexterRiley

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bobaganoosh
Nobody wants to do what needs to be done.

Just the agricultural losses alone are adding up by the day.

Large scale, indoor growing operations will be about the only way to prepare for what is coming. Where are those startups? Where are the vertical farming fanatics?

Seems like most would rather name the cause than present solutions.

Oh, and the government never has any solutions.

"prepare for what is coming" is exactly what I've been saying for some time now. Even if limiting excess CO2 helps to keep warming to some arbitrary limit, we are already experiencing the dangerous effects of the warming that has already happened.

As you indicate, we should be preparing for what will happen. Attempting to mitigate further temperature increases may be important in the long term. However, in the short term, we're going to be fighting the existing effects of Climate Change. Hardening infrastructure and developing new technologies to produce food and insuring access to clean water should be paramount.

-dex

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: DexterRiley

-dex

They need to move back the homes from the risky areas. Rebuilding in the same place is not always wise, there are other pieces of land to build homes on in better locations. Better infrastructure is a good idea, but also some relocation out of those risky spots caused by the climate change is needed too.

True. A little common sense goes a long way to reducing these added Climate Change costs. It's unfortunate that this has to be done. But we are where we are, and certain distasteful actions sometimes have to be taken.

-dex

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Well then obviously the only real solution is to further increase the tax burden on taxpayers and regulate businesses, industries, until they are all gone, and ultimately have outright bans on combustion engines and on energy production that produce CO2 emissions until eliminated completely.

Collapse the economy and have all Americans living in a modern-day version of the dark ages.

Meanwhile in China, India and elsewhere....

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
Wouldn't it be more accurate for them to say that the weather costs billions more?

Factor in snow removal and erosion control and there would be even more billions.

While weather itself is the direct cause of these disasters. I believe the "consensus" is that the overall change to the climate is the main driving force to the level of destruction.

-dex

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join