It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's first climate-controlled domed city to be built in Dubai

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   
A giant glass dome sitting in the middle of a desert? They better have some world-class AC, or else it'll turn into the world's largest oven.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   
They do similar things in Norway and Canada. Montreal, Vancouver and Toronto have underground cities. Montreal is the largest. Toronto at the time I was there, had their Metro stations next to shopping malls, along with condominium units and offices above. Everything including 24 hour fitness centers, hairdressers and nightclubs/bars.

In Norway, they installed giant glass roofs over the internal quadrangles of old market squares, so that they became warm, brightly lit atrium's that can be used all year round rather than cold dark car parks. They also built hotels so that the internal structure (floors and interior walls) is separate from the exterior walls so there is less heat conducted between the two. It's like being in a giant greenhouse.

Combine these together and it would be easy to build a dome over a city.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

It looks amazing.

We're living through a period of time that our descendants will read about like we read about the dinosaurs. It's being called the 'Sixth Great Extinction' and eco-systems are gradually dying out. Insects are dying out and we don't know why.

Dubai's domed city will be more of a testament to what humans do wrong with the environment. It'll have a massive carbon footprint and represent cultural excess. It'll be really awesome too and enjoyed by thousands of visitors.

What I hope will happen is other domes can be trialled to see if it's possible to contain ecosystems that support insects. We need a way to leave bubbles of biodiversity for our future selves and moreover the future diversity of Earth. I think it's sensible to have a back-up plan for a worst case scenario.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

It's some of the most inhospitable terrain the world has to offer. If they can make it work there? Then most anywhere is possible.

Rather they spend it on this, then on another dozen Ferrari's, or what ever. This at least can lead to something interesting down the road as the technologies required are brought together and perfected.

AC will probably be a prime consideration, though...

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: AndyFromMichigan
A giant glass dome sitting in the middle of a desert? They better have some world-class AC, or else it'll turn into the world's largest oven.

Those boys are crazy with money. Don't you remember the biggest indoor skiing resort they built? Artificial snow on the inside and 100 degrees outside; millions of gallons of water in a desert land.

Doll ar dollar bills yo

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

AC will probably be a prime consideration, though.

and one hell of a air filtration system too eitherwise you would end up with one hell of a dutch Dubai oven.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk
Ever watch the Stephen King series that ran on CBS a while back called "The Dome"?

That didn't turn out so well...

Thanks for reminding me about that, did it run until its conclusion?

Dubai is where I assumed something like this would begin, mainly because they have the money to do it...

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   
You wouldn't need an air conditioned bio dome if you didn't build your cities in a desert.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 03:00 PM
link   

"and a wellness district for medical tourists."

That bit made me wonder, will this be a place people go for surgeries that are cheaper than in some countries (like America)?

With the Obamacare deductibles so high for many, it might be cheaper to fly there and have surgery than to pay a $10,000 deductible + 20% of the cost above $10k.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

I don't recall how big those biospheres were, but I think the bigger the dome, the easier, relatively, it would be to make it truly self-contained, easier to get away irritants, too.

Because no matter how compatible a group is, everyone has bad days-weeks-months. I've even gone for years...

Frankly, the idea of self contained environments are both fascinating and frightening to me. If life becomes less challenging, how do we improve ourselves...? But warm when you want it warm, and cool when you want it cool does have its advantages.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: and14263
Reminds me of Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars Trilogy!

Shame it's in Dubai and not somewhere a bit nicer.

Like Mars!

hehe

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Anybody else see a future episode of engineering disasters?

like ants under a magnifying glass

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 05:03 PM
link   
After some thought. I'd only want to live in one of these if absolutely necessary. I enjoy the fresh country sir too much.

The thing is, with the wealth in Dubai, you've got to bet that there are some there who pull strings on the world stage. With that in mind, there's one question i'd like answered. What do they know that we don't?

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

It's some of the most inhospitable terrain the world has to offer. If they can make it work there? Then most anywhere is possible.

Rather they spend it on this, then on another dozen Ferrari's, or what ever. This at least can lead to something interesting down the road as the technologies required are brought together and perfected.

AC will probably be a prime consideration, though...

Living in a dome has the advantage there, due to surface area/volume ratios. With a domed city, the volume is 2/3 .pi.r^3, while the surface area is 2.pi.r^2. The ratio between the two is exactly a third of the radius. So the larger the hemisphere, the harder it is to heat up. The glass will probably be tinted to reflect sunlight and/or have shutters, and warm air will rise. The biggest problem will probably be that they end up with their own micro-climate with clouds. That happened with giant aircraft hangers.

With a domed city, the surface area

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Safe from solar flares.... if the dome is closed that is.

I'm sure it will be great under there actually. A paradise with no pollution.

Star trek uniforms at the ready.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

I'd forgotten the micro-climate thing...

Witnessed that myself during a tour of Boeing's big plant. That was years, and years, and, unfortunately, years ago. That would definitely be a problem to address.

Or turn it from a disadvantage, to an advantage--somehow. I don't pretend to be smart enough to figure out how...

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 03:33 AM
link   
I said when I was a teenager that domed cities will be the only way to sustain a population in excess of a trillion people. It's a great idea we should be doing this everywhere.

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 05:00 AM
link   
this is extremely old news (it's even dated 2014). i saw this thread and thought it would be the same project i had heard about a couple years back. so here is the question. how much work has actually been done to build it? after all it's now over 3 years later, so is it just more empty hype? like all those books i read in the late 70's early 80's (now completely disappeared from libraries) saying how we would have giant space stations with farms and cities operational in and around the year 2000. or something they will actually do?

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: djz3ro

Thanks for reminding me about that, did it run until its conclusion?

It did!

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 05:38 PM
link   
They are becoming quite the destination. That is going to be something. Too bad our country isn't doing stuff like this. We are falling behind. We don't even have a modern train.

edit on 14-12-2017 by TamtammyMacx because: typo

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join