It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My potassium level is 5.8 - HELP!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I also have high potassium, due to kidney issues. My doctor recommended that I take two 1000mg tums with each meal. You might want to try 1 with each meal to start, and see if that helps. Oh, and avoid milk/yogurt/peanut butter AND dark sodas and iced tea. I didn't realize those were high sources of potassium, but they are. You can still have light sodas like cream soda, Fanta, etc... but they're probably not good for your diabetes either.

Also, watch this doctor's videos. I think they'll help with the diabetes, which may in turn help with the potassium.
www.youtube.com...
edit on 24-10-2017 by lo_fye because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: dianajune

If your doctor said it's not urgent I wouldn't worry to much.
My last lab tests showed I had gout level uric acid in my blood and urine.
They did ultra sound ofbmy joints 2 more urine samples. It came back negative.
Doc and I figured out it was the meal I had before the 12 hour fast, large piece of salmon, and tons of asparsgus. Both high in uric acid.
I just drank tons of water and I was fine.

Not saying my case is the same, but it shows how a test can be alarming over nothing.
I'd suggest downing lots of water no more than half a liter an hour tho, kidneys can only filter about 1 liter an hour and can overload them.
Hope for the best!

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   
The best way to raise potassium levels is with potatoes. My potassium levels seem to be high, the wife made some cookies with cream of Tarter and they tasted like metal to me. That is a sign your levels are too high. That can cause me problems, by raising my potassium up I raise the risk of spinny head from hypoglycemia. So I try not to consume too much potatoes on a regular basis Potassium is a mineral used in transferring insulin from the pancrease. I have reactive hypoglycemia, most people do not have to worry about what I said.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Potassium levels are no joke and I'm sorry you're dealing with this. I take a potassium-sparing medication which means my body won't release it like it normally should plus it makes me sodium deficient. So my daily diet has changed to avoid all potassium and I literally eat rock salt when I'm feeling a little light-headed.

BUT... one thing that flies under doctors' radars and usually patients is "low sodium" labels on food. If you see this, it likely has a potassium derivative as a substitute and I learned it could lead to killing me pretty quick. So my only advice is avoid foods that have "low sodium" advertised on it (unless it's just naturally low sodium like a carrot, lol).

Feeling your pain and the best of luck to you!

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

www.youtube.com...

I am posting this here to help with your stressful waiting time... "weightless" by Marconi Union....they did tests in the lab with people wearing probes so they could test their brain waves while listening to the music mixing various music together.....this music lowers stress by 65 per cent!

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I can't get over all the responses to my post. Thank you!

I realize that going to "doctor google" isn't the best thing to do, but I've never been through this before and wondered if an abnormal potassium level was of concern. The nurse I spoke to didn't go into specifics....seemed in a hurry. I know they have other patients, but I am a worry wart. Always have been, especially after my cancer diagnosis in '04, the hernias, and more recently, my Medicare issues.

It's good they're doing another test, but knowing me.....I will probably be on pins and needles fearing the worst. A pastor once told me that 99.9% of the time, what I worry about won't happen, but there have been times when that wasn't the case.

My heart, as far as I know, is in good shape but I haven't had a nuke stress test in over 5 years thanks to insurance issues. I've had false alarms with it before but everything turned out ok. I have diabetic retinopathy in both eyes and went for an eye exam last weekend. He said my vision is still the same as the last time I got glasses, which was over 4 years ago. He didn't do a dilated exam but said he was able to tell that there's no hemorrages in my eyes (sorry about the spelling). I can't remember the name of one of the instruments he used - ophthalmascope?

I remember being told a long time ago that diabetes generally does a number on the smaller blood vessels first, starting with the eyes, and kidneys, etc. I don't know if that eye exam is any indication as to how the rest of me is doing.

Another poster made reference to my seeking advice from strangers online as opposed to medical personnel who know me, but the reason I did this is the nurse seemed reluctant to tell me how serious this could turn out to be. It is possible to get good advice online as opposed to in person, and to be honest - this NP has been "pissy" - pardon the expression - about my having a hard time getting medical coverage.

I posted about her in another thread. She was quite brutal and she made no attempt to hide the look of disgust on her face when she saw me in her office. I left there feeling about as tall as an ant.

I didn't know that low-sodium foods could have an impact on potassium....I'll have to keep that in mind. I have a salt substitute here that s/b tossed anyway....haven't used it in ages.

I don't have potatoes very often, or bananas or oranges. I do miss those things.

What I have been over indulging in - in an attempt to limit carbs - is vegetarian foods, including "beef" crumbles, veggie patties, etc. I don't know if that would have an impact on potassium or not.

The NP recommended greek yogurt. I have some that is low calorie but I will check the potassium content. As for milk, I don't use it as much as in the past and prefer almond milk.

Is there anything left I can eat/drink?

I would have responded to this thread by now but it's been a long day. The loaner wheelchair I was given about a month or so back was picked up today.....and a short time afterwards my scooter was delivered. But it has to be returned as it's not the correct length. The specs the seller gave me were wrong. That didn't exactly make my day.

It feels like I have so many strikes against me, health-wise, that I can't keep up. Not sure why the Lord is allowing all this stuff to happen to me, but I'm not sure I can handle it if something else goes wrong.

Thanks for listening, everyone!
edit on 24-10-2017 by dianajune because: typo

edit on 24-10-2017 by dianajune because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Of course, there are many things you can eat. You don't have to become a vegetarian, and you don't have to starve.
Many times, it seems to be serving size. As it says, even a "low potassium" food can become 'high' if you eat too much of it".

Here is a list of vegetables, fruits, and beans low in potassium. You can have a nice dinner. Be sure and drain the fluid off any canned vegetables, and rinse them off. ( Say chicken, rice, and steamed asparagus. That's a nice dinner, yes?)

Take a look.

healthyeating.sfgate.com...

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I'm with the 'stop freaking out' crowd. Please find yourself a health support group of some sort were you meet (in person) with others confronting the same or similar situation.

Good Luck.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd
I'm with the 'stop freaking out' crowd. Please find yourself a health support group of some sort were you meet (in person) with others confronting the same or similar situation.

Good Luck.

Yep. I'm sure they will refer her to a nutritionist when she goes back to the doctor.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

I hope you get a chance to listen to the music I posted.....stress can really do a number on you so I hope it helps while you are waiting!!

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 12:03 AM
link   
As stupid as it sound, drinking water may help "dilute" the stuff. Dehydration is a known cause of hyperkalemia.

Also with your experiment at going low carbs, be advised that replacing carbs by a high protein diet may not be a good thing! High protein require extra amount of water intake to "flush" the nitrogenated compounds generated in high level into the blood, thus also putting extra strain on your kidney. Protein is not a good source of energy for the body, you should never take more than the body need for its repair, and a little more if you do training.

I would bet that you never do any control of your urine with dipstick, like density, pH, leuko, ketone... If you want to experiment with unconventional diet, I strongly advise that you learn the implications and how to do somes basic controls...

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I had an extremely low potassium level and was in the hospital for around 72 hours on a potassium and saline drip and it was torture the whole time you could feel the burn as soon as it hit your vein and it burned all the way up into my neck. Not something I’d ever want to go through again.

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting
Of course, there are many things you can eat. You don't have to become a vegetarian, and you don't have to starve.
Many times, it seems to be serving size. As it says, even a "low potassium" food can become 'high' if you eat too much of it".

Here is a list of vegetables, fruits, and beans low in potassium. You can have a nice dinner. Be sure and drain the fluid off any canned vegetables, and rinse them off. ( Say chicken, rice, and steamed asparagus. That's a nice dinner, yes?)

Take a look.

healthyeating.sfgate.com...

I already eat a number of things on that list. I think my favorites are riced cauliflower and cottage cheese. I didn't know that eating them raw would mean a higher amount of potassium than if cooked. Sometimes I like to munch on raw beans, peas and cucumbers. Esp. with vinagrette (spelling?) dressing!

Thank you for sharing this link!

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: research100

I hope you get a chance to listen to the music I posted.....stress can really do a number on you so I hope it helps while you are waiting!!

Thank you for sharing this link! I did listen to it. Oftentimes music and even the spoken word (depending on what is being read and who is doing the reading) helps too.

There was a poet who appeared at Westminster Abbey about a year or so back, and I found her reading to be quite relaxing. A few years ago the Prince of Wales did a reading from John 14, KJV and it was very pleasant to listen to as well.

I suppose I should be listening to things like that more often than consulting w/Doctor Google.

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I'm going for the bloodwork tomorrow morning. I would appreciate everyone's prayers. Am trying not to freak out but it's not easy, given my medical history.

Having a sinus headache for much of the day didn't help either.

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Sorry you're not feeling well, but I hope you get some answers tomorrow that will put your mind at ease.
Keep us updated, okay?

(Yeah, sometimes you have to boil your veggies to leach out some of the potassium. Tomatoes too, I think.)

Hopefully after tomorrow you will have some answers, and a nutritionist!

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 08:06 PM
link   

if you are nervous right down a head of time what you want to ask at the appointment so you don't forget, being nervous can make you forget good luck tomorrow! ((((((((((((hugs)))))))) prayers

posted on Oct, 27 2017 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Good news! My potassium is normal at 4.4. My NP didn't elaborate as to why it was temporarily elevated, but this is a load off my mind.

I appreciate all the responses to this thread...your support means alot to me. God bless you all!

posted on Oct, 27 2017 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Drink more water and exercise considerably more. (To be honest, most of what I see you posting in regards to your health would be 100% cured by this simple, virtually cost free solution.)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join