It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Polls One Year Ago In The "FAKE NEWS"

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 11:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3daysgone
a reply to: Dudemo5

Instead, we need better polling at the state level, if we're going to keep popular vote totals within 3 or 4 percent.

Kind of hard to do without an investigation into why the polls are not accurate. California don't like investigations into their polling matters, especially their voting matters.

Please enlighten us, oh wise one. What exactly was wrong with California's state polls? And how could it possibly have mattered?

While you go look that up and realize you're completely off base, I'll help you out.

There were several problematic polls across the rust belt. AGAIN, the problem was that there were very few polls taken in some of those states, and their methodology wasn't always the best. Given that the methodology was PUBLISHED, this is not a mystery.

And again, I repeat: The national polls, which is all MOST PEOPLE bothered looking at, were EXTREMELY accurate.

Some of you guys live in a fantasy land of confirmation bias.
edit on 23-10-2017 by Dudemo5 because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-10-2017 by Dudemo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 12:14 AM
link   
One thing is for certain, their “forecasts” were wholly inaccurate, even embarrassingly so. This was admitted by the media themselves.

How Did the Media — How Did We — Get This Wrong?

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 12:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
One thing is for certain, their “forecasts” were wholly inaccurate, even embarrassingly so. This was admitted by the media themselves.

Yes, the media ignored the poor state polling and opted to assume that the winner of the national popular vote would win the EC. They were wrong. I agree.

I doubt they'll learn their lesson.

So hopefully some of us will. The lesson here is that unless the national popular vote is polling WAY ahead for one candidate or the other (like, consistently greater than 5%), it cannot be trusted as a predictor of who will win the EC, no matter how accurate it is.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 12:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dudemo5

Yes, the media ignored the poor state polling and opted to assume that the winner of the national popular vote would win the EC. They were wrong. I agree.

So hopefully some of us will. The lesson here is that unless the national popular vote is polling WAY ahead for one candidate or the other (like, consistently greater than 5%), it cannot be trusted as a predictor of who will win the EC, no matter how accurate it is.

What we should worry about is if polls are used to measure public opinion or to influence it.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 12:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dudemo5

What we should worry about is if polls are used to measure public opinion or to influence it.

The polls themselves measure it.

What pundits do with the results is up to the pundits.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 02:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
a reply to: angeldoll

Then quit lying with this popular vote bull#.

She did win the popular vote why pretend otherwise, anyway it’s the electotial count that matters

When are you going to be posting anti Putin and Russian threads again?

Before Trump came on the scene with his online lie campaign this site was so anti Russian it was embarrassing

Daily anti Russian threads with the classic Putin is missing thread by one of the 3 amigos, RT network even created an account and were quickly banned

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 03:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: Blue_Jay33

Oh look, a forecast from 10/23 failed to predict the outcome of the election. Super!

Polls and forecasts are not the same thing. Forecasts are generated using available data (such as polls) and they evolve over time, typically becoming more accurate as they draw closer to the event.

Why do Trump supporters pretend that they care about honesty when clearly, they do not?

This OP is like a story from a middle aged dead beat who peaked in high school and is still telling stories of his glory days thirty years prior.

Clearly you're not too busy "winning" to look for high fives about last year's news.

Damn, looks like someone struck a nerve. Hate to break it to you, but your not the judge, jury & executioner of ATS. If the OP wants to bring it up again to illustrate just how bad polling can be, so be it.

With a loss that devastating it never hurts to revisit it from time to time maybe to use as a reminder to the left to try a little harder next time, and more importantly, field a candidate that isn't broken with a trailer full of baggage.

She was so bad that she was beat by a candidate with zero political experience. Let that one sink in for a while as it says it all.
edit on 24-10-2017 by Nucleardoom because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Let's be honest...

I called the election for Trump by over 300 EC votes in August last year.

It was not hard to see the writing on the wall, the point of the polls was to encourage Dems to vote, and discourage Reps from voting. A standard play that failed.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 05:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: theatreboy
Let's be honest...

I called the election for Trump by over 300 EC votes in August last year.

It was not hard to see the writing on the wall, the point of the polls was to encourage Dems to vote, and discourage Reps from voting. A standard play that failed.

It had the opposite effect.

Hillary was so far ahead in the polls, no one bothered to go out and vote for her. Pokemon!!

Why should they.

She even had the match lit for the fireworks that nite!

Thanks fake news MSM!! Good job getting Trump elected!

edit on 10 24 2017 by burgerbuddy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Exact same ones that now claim collusion ,and many other atrocity's that don't exist,yet I see endless post's being done on these inane storys,everyday at least 12

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 06:05 AM
link   

The polls were correct. Hillary Clinton did win the popular vote. Saying otherwise is the "fake news."

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: Xcathdra

Bro. I heard Hillary Clinton had almost 3 million Americans vote for her. U mad?

Ummm...yeah...but those were...South...Americans...

YouSir

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 08:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001

The polls were correct. Hillary Clinton did win the popular vote. Saying otherwise is the "fake news."

Yup and those polls were being done in California and New York and 3 counties in Florida.

Here some relevant ATS threads

Texas Polls

ZIP APP Predicts Trump Win In August

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 08:25 AM
link   

I see Trump supporters are getting desperate for a win so they are dredging up their "greatest hits". YAWN. Carry on with this useless thread I guess. And y'all try to tell us WE are obsessed with the election still. *eyeroll*
edit on 24-10-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 08:26 AM
link   

7% doesn't mean it's not going to happen.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

I see Trump supporters are getting desperate for a win so they are dredging up their "greatest hits". YAWN. Carry on with this useless thread I guess. And y'all try to tell us WE are obsessed with the election still. *eyeroll*

Exactly. They seem as insecure as trump in the win.

Relax, folks. It's over and has been almost a year.

Here's something that should get you all hysterical.

Next: The Undo.

hahaha.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Whereismypassword

You cant win something that doesnt exist.

Clinton won the popular vote in all the states she carried.
Trump won the popular vote in all the states he carried.

There is no national popular vote and repeating it over and over still does not make it true.

The left cant deal with the fact, that after a rigged democratic primary and the smear campaign against Trump, that she still lost.

Something the left just cant seem to grasp.
edit on 24-10-2017 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Stop saying the popular vote doesn't exist. It most certainly DOES exist. It just isn't used to to determine the President. Learn your civics man...

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

You cant win something that doesnt exist.

Clinton won the popular vote in all the states she carried.
Trump won the popular vote in all the states he carried.

There is no national popular vote and repeating it over and over still does not make it true.

The left cant deal with the fact, that after a rigged democratic primary and the smear campaign against Trump, that she still lost.

Something the left just cant seem to grasp.

Everyone knows Trump won the election. This is a strawman.

However, the OP claimed that the polls were wrong. Most of the polls that people quoted were for the NATIONAL POPULAR VOTE, which most certainly does exist and is forecast in the run-up to every presidential election.

And those polls were more accurate than they have been since the 1930s.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: curme

There is a massive disinformation campaign from the current administration (and picked-up by his supporters) to discredit reporting and polling.

I believe it is part of a conditioning to quell dissent of government, a movement towards the control of the citizenry which historically has lead to a bad outcome for all parties involved.

Criticism is deemed fake, the will of the people is labeled as fabricated, all the the while the sheep guide themselves to the slaughter.

Interesting theory however there is one fatal flaw in it.

The polls coming out keep showing Trump as not having any support, low job approval etc. The media outlets reporting that are the very ones that constantly said Clinton would win. In case you missed it several of those media outlet polls over-sampled Democrats intentionally to tweek the outcome of the poll.

we know this because those outlets got caught and when requests were made to disclose their data the outlets pulled the polls and refused to disclose the info (which they are required to do).

Reuters is one of the outlets caught oversampling democrats to create a skewed result in favor of Clinton.

The will of the people was followed on election day.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join