It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We have the lowest possible character in office when you compare to how it should be done

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 06:02 PM
link   
In the autumn of 1864 Massachusetts Governor John A. Andrew wrote to President Lincoln asking him to express condolences to Mrs. Lydia Bixby, a widow believed to have lost five sons during the Civil War.

Executive Mansion,
Washington, Nov. 21, 1864.

Dear Madam,--

I have been shown in the files of the War Department a statement of the Adjutant General of Massachusetts that you are the mother of five sons who have died gloriously on the field of battle.

I feel how weak and fruitless must be any word of mine which should attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot refrain from tendering you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Republic they died to save.

I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom.

Yours, very sincerely and respectfully,

A. Lincoln

The quality of this country and its people begins and ends with the quality of our leadership.

edit on 23-10-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 06:05 PM
link   

We have the lowest possible character in office because Here is how to do it right page: 1
a reply to: dfnj2015

Because why?

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

I imagine after losing 5 sons she was bereaved beyond imagination. I thought Lincolns words were profound and beautiful.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 06:09 PM
link   
This is getting tedious.

What lies should trump tell these people who lose their family members to war? It is all banker wars, and people are brainwashed to believe that there is a sense of purpose in going to war.. even though we aren't being invaded.

If you go to war in 2017, and you die.. well you really just died in vain.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 06:13 PM
link   
A terrible thing indeed a poor lady loses five sons in this human monstrosity called war.

Through the ages and years, I grieve for this poor woman, even today.

The letter was an endearing example of the eloquence of Lincoln, that maybe Trump can look at and read and find in the letter some example he could follow.

Its never too late to learn and to grow

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Your title seemed incomplete. And still does sound incomplete.

And Lincoln did a good job. Sounds small to say that. The family was obviously changed for ever.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 06:17 PM
link   

But LAWYERS are ONLY "service to self" aren't they, as a faction?
THAT is what we've had and IT'S ENDING now..scary stuff ,huh?
edit on 23-10-2017 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 06:18 PM
link   

The quality of this country and its people begins and ends with the quality of our leadership.

Do you mean the quality of our leader's words? If that's the case you can get any old actor or writer or marketing expert to play the part of your leader.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

Do you mean the quality of our leader's words? If that's the case you can get any old actor or writer or marketing expert to play the part of your leader.

It worked from 1980-1988...Just sayin'

2nd line

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Wonder how many people would have an issue with Heavenly Father?

This could spark a good old Trump style media hit piece. It isn't what you say, it's how it is taken.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   

you are the mother of five sons who have died gloriously on the field of battle.

How does one "die gloriously" in war?

Dead is dead.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Wonder how many people would have an issue with Heavenly Father?

This could spark a good old Trump style media hit piece. It isn't what you say, it's how it is taken.

The old notion that a leader should be some stately orator who must be able to placate or enrage the masses with lullabies and fiery speech is a relic of the monarchy and the church.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

They don't/didn't die gloriously.

This mind set convinced men to sit in trenches in WW I and go over the top to certain death because of kings, empire, profits and natural resources. But now it is corps, profits and natural resources.

One day the rich/corps will want a war and the poor will not show up.

edit on 23-10-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 06:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
The old notion that a leader should be some stately orator who must be able to placate or enrage the masses with lullabies and fiery speech is a relic of the monarchy and the church.

one would hope if the leader couldn't speak well, he could take direction on how to say what he wanted when he insisted on speaking. failing that, one would hope the leader at least led well.

i'm afraid we're coming up short on all fronts, here.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

No, I meant the quality of character to be able to author such a letter.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 06:42 PM
link   

I fixed the title.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   

I fixed the title.

That's better, now I can quit being so picky.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: eXia7
This is getting tedious.

What lies should trump tell these people who lose their family members to war? It is all banker wars, and people are brainwashed to believe that there is a sense of purpose in going to war.. even though we aren't being invaded.

If you go to war in 2017, and you die.. well you really just died in vain.

I respect the bravery and valor to stand up for what one believes in.
However there is your point as well as this.

• null

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   

No, I meant the quality of character to be able to author such a letter.

Character does not determine writing skill. Thomas Griffiths Wainewright, for example, was a beautiful writer, a favourite of Oscar Wilde's. He was also a serial poisoner.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 06:50 PM
link   

The lowest possible character in office - that would be HRC and she isn't in office!!!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join