It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nigerian Author Pens Short-Story about a Depressed and Lonely Melania Trump

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 06:00 PM
link   
‘Janelle Asked to the Bedroom,’ a Micronovel by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie is a short story published in the New York Times.

A Newsweek article I read described the short-story:

Melania Trump is lonely and obsessed with Michelle Obama. At least in Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie’s version of events anyway. The Nigerian author has penned a short story for the The New York Times’ style magazine, T, which paints the first lady—referred to throughout only as “Mrs T”—as the reluctant wife of the president who displays an unease with her political fame. And she’s a little bit racist, too.

Adichie’s “micronovel,” Janelle Asked to the Bedroom, envisions a conversation between a forlorn Trump and her pilates instructor Janelle. The story was published on the Times website and on the T magazine Instagram page.

It's an interesting short-story that details Melania Trump's increasing depression as she struggles to take on the position of the First Lady of the United States.

In general, I liked the story. It mirrors my belief that Mrs. Trump is unhappy, and not at all comfortable, in her new position. However, I was not particularly happy with the ending. Sometimes you just have to chalk it up to "That's rich white folks for ya." and move on.

I believe that this short-story raises more political issues than your run-of-the-mill fiction. That's why I created this thread in this forum, rather than in the Short Stories section.

-dex

edit on 10/23/2017 by DexterRiley because: title change

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley

Must be running out of ideas.

Pretty soon they will be saying they are in a Mandela universe where Hillary is President.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

Pretty soon they will be saying they are in a Mandela universe where Hillary is President.

I don't find much comfort in the alternative reality you specified either.

-dex

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Why not . The media is basically a work of fiction about Trump anyway. I swear the left is out of their damn minds. I have not liked presidents before , but I did not throw a national temper tantrum about it. Time for them to all grow up.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Sounds like a story a EBDM would enjoy. The EBM's have literally gone viral with the internet.

Time to laugh these guys out of the room and get back to prosperity and sanity.
Emotion Based Decision Makers and the Emotion Based Manipulators (like this author)

It's grifting 101. Emotional manipulation.

From a authors standpoint, it's creating shock value and buzz so they sell a book to people who haven't learned to think critically and just react with emotion. (the EBDM crowd)

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   
So what if Melania's depressed she “must have known what he signed up for.”

edit on 23-10-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: norhoc

I have not liked presidents before , but I did not throw a national temper tantrum about it.

Perhaps you didn't, but a lot of other people threw conniption fits about Barack Obama and concocted all kinds of fiction about him.

Besides, Trump is more visible than any other president in history. His reality-TV persona just invites all kinds of musings and innuendo. His constant missteps and the apparent chaos of his administration is so over-the-top unbelievable that even accurate reporting about him sounds like fiction.

-dex

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
So what if Melania's depressed she “must have known what he signed up for.”

Okay. That's just COLD!

But, I don't want to make light of the death of an American Hero. However, if you think about it, if Melania is depressed, then that same callous sentiment is probably why.

-dex

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   

I see you buy in to the false narrative. Keep buying what the media is selling .

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

EBDM = Emotion Based Decision Makers
I'll keep the definition of this acronym in mind for the future.

Time to laugh these guys out of the room and get back to prosperity and sanity.

Specifically what policies of the EBDM's should be abandoned? And, how do you define "prosperity and sanity?"

It's grifting 101. Emotional manipulation.

In general, I agree that emotions should not be a primary factor in making decisions. However, there are a lot of different ways to manipulate emotions. And all humans possess emotions, though there tends to be great differences in what people consider to be important.

So, on the one hand, a certain segment of the population may have "LGBT Equality" as their emotional hot button. While another segment of the population may be ignited by the emotionality of "God, Guns, and Gays." Those who attempt to manipulate and control these different groups simply need to use the proper emotional arguments, and then harness those feelings to push their agenda.

-dex

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: norhoc

I see you buy in to the false narrative. Keep buying what the media is selling .

Specifically which false narrative am I buying into?

I'm always open to correction if I possess an inaccurate view. However, with whatever narrative I'm "buying into" I require reasonable evidence. Simple conspiracy theories and rumors are insufficient evidence to alter any beliefs that I hold.

-dex

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 09:54 PM
link   
At least she looks like a "lady".

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 10:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xzavior
At least she looks like a "lady".

I think I understand the reference, probably from the Aerosmith song.

As I said in a few other places, Melania's gift is beauty. Michelle's gift is intellectualism. They both have their places. One gift is not necessarily any more important than the other.

Michelle Obama did FLOTUS her way. Melania Trump should do it her way.

-dex

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Michelle an intellectual? LMFAO.

Are you a nut case????

stop,
just stop.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: SR1TX

You clearly don't understand what the word "intellectual" means.

This video has nothing to do with that subject.

SMH

-dex

new topics

top topics

join