It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forest Of Dean Giant Feral Pig Photograph

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger

There's guidance for those who'll listen. I doubt many of the poachers will take notice.

www.wild-boar.org.uk...

When removing the diaphragm, either at point of shot or in the larder, take a Trichinella sample if participating in the FSA scheme. If the carcass will be delivered to an AGHE leave at least a 2” (5cm) square piece of the diaphrag

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

The big one I saw just ambled off into the trees grumbling. Others are very tame.

Some poachers encourage people to feed them at the side of the road. When they're used to hanging around near the road they can be shot from a vehicle and thrown straight in.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Wild boar can increase biodiversity, through rooting and wallowing. They are highly effective bracken destroyers, creating space for trees and other plants to grow.

Suitability for reintroduction: Excellent. They are already living unofficially in parts of England and Scotland.

www.rewildingbritain.org.uk...

I've been checking on one particular patch of bracken and in spite of repeated rooting it always grows back. There's a massive amount of bracken root in every square metre. They'd have to be fenced in and forced to eat it. It's all a dangerous fantasy.
edit on 23 10 2017 by Kester because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Kester

its the way it always is, environmental types got hunting of black bears outlawed in Florida because they convinced a judge they were almost extinct, while anyone that hunted the panhandle knew they were all over the place but liked to hide.

Now they are wandering through the state capital searching for food.

Hogs do nothing but destroy the ground, if enough are in an area they can destroy trees do to the damage to the ground.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 03:15 PM
link   
that's a big pig for sure.

i believe they are extremely fearless and aggressive if approached.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I hope these pigs/hogs destroy every bit of everything they touch. The superiority complex we humans have is gross/grossly over stated and really it's just irony. We share this place we don't own it. Destroying your "property"? Move...Destroying the game? You're not a hunter, idiots. Going out with a sniper scope 30.6 and aiming at a deer/mountain lion/bear, that does not know you are there, does not make you a hunter.

I'm from Texas by the way. I am rooting for the hogs. Mother Nature will always work itself out. The problem is us.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 03:19 PM
link   

You have to use a high powered rifle, at least around here, otherwise it won't penetrate their thick skin. And if you try to poison them, their fat absorbs the poison. Some hog hunters came out to the place I used to live and said you can trap them with old chicken and anything that smells like grape. Kool aid is the best.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Wild boar are smaller?
Not here. I've seen bigger. Once there was one running next to our car, I thought it was a cow at first.
They scare the crap out of me. Kill the dogs around here.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: SR1TX
I hope these pigs/hogs destroy every bit of everything they touch. The superiority complex we humans have is gross/grossly over stated and really it's just irony. We share this place we don't own it. Destroying your "property"? Move...Destroying the game? You're not a hunter, idiots. Going out with a sniper scope 30.6 and aiming at a deer/mountain lion/bear, that does not know you are there, does not make you a hunter.

I'm from Texas by the way. I am rooting for the hogs. Mother Nature will always work itself out. The problem is us.

You sound ridiculous. I'm not a hunter either, although I know how to if the need ever arises (EMP strikes, etc). But you don't understand what you're talking about when you say people can move if they don't like wild hogs tearing up your property. I refuse to kill an innocent animal, but one that's tearing up my property will die in a heartbeat.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalShadow
I don't care what the likes of P.E.T.A. has to say about it, there should be a payable bounty on these animals until their numbers are sorted out.

You don't have to completely destroy them either, they can be harvested for meat and could feed the poor and homeless. The younger they are, the more tasty!

That one is rather large....would make quite the presentation on a spit at the local food bank.

Just saying.

Some companies do offer humane traps. Basically a large pen with a trapdoor and lots of grain falling from a feeder. A latch controlled by a smartphone allows the pen to be locked remotely. Then they get driven down to the hog trader.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kester
a reply to: butcherguy

The debate here is mostly being spun around them being 'wild boar' and we should be thrilled to see them back after 700 years.

As you say, these are very obviously largely domestic.

Well, they are very dangerous.
They are intelligent too, making them even more dangerous.

Watch out for the upper canines, those are the ones that they use to cut you. I knew a man that had one of his femoral arteries opened by an old domestic sow.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Off as many as you want. My point is don't complain about them being there as though from the stand point of it being an inconvenience to man kind when the truth is they probably would feel the same way about us to their kind.

I wonder what we would think one day of some advanced civilization coming here for example and stating we are a bit over grown and need to be cut down in population size..

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluesma
Wild boar are smaller?
Not here. I've seen bigger. Once there was one running next to our car, I thought it was a cow at first.
They scare the crap out of me. Kill the dogs around here.

Oh yeah, those sumbitches run in packs... I pulled in my driveway one evening and saw a herd of about 15 run past me. I was in my 1999 4x4 Tahoe at the time (sucker was a tank) and I floored it. The hogs were so fast I missed them. I'd bought two Labs when I moved out there and they loved running around in those woods. One day the female came back covered in blood and the male never made it back. I put her inside, grabbed my spotlight, rifle, and pistol and drove out to the woods to look for my other dog. Thinking back, it was the dumbest thing I could have done, but I really didn't have a choice. I wasn't gonna let him sit out there and die. I never found him though.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Trichenella is the same stuff that can rarely be found in domestic pork. That's why you should never eat your pork undercooked. The worms for cysts in your muscles and cause nasty pain and some swelling.

I'm not sure you ever get used to it. It's just that they form their cysts and if you don't get reinfected, the cysts might settle.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: SR1TX

Off as many as you want. My point is don't complain about them being there as though from the stand point of it being an inconvenience to man kind when the truth is they probably would feel the same way about us to their kind.

I wonder what we would think one day of some advanced civilization coming here for example and stating we are a bit over grown and need to be cut down in population size..

China can tell you about that. They created a one child per family law because they were over crowding. I know where you're coming from, but when these hogs breed, they can have packs in the hundreds. The only reason I know about it is because I've seen it firsthand and they can dig ruts 2, 3, even 4 feet deep. Not to mention, the boars will rip you apart at the legs and then they'll attack and eat you. It's downright frightening coming face to face with one, much less a herd, while you're on the ground. I was coming out of those same woods one night and just before my last turn to walk over the creek, down the rest of the trail, and into the open, my effing spotlight died. My truck was about 200' away where the woods opened up. The hair on the back of my neck stood up and I swear my ears felt like they pinned back as I slowly walked in the dark towards my truck, because right before my spotlight died, I'd been shining it on a huge herd walking past the creek I was about to cross. I was waiting on them to pass when it died.

My dad sent me a picture of what it looked like now after he mowed it a couple days ago. To the left is where you go into the woods, way up over the hill is where my house was and of course at night it's pitch black because there aren't any lights.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   
No sweat, get a tracking dog and an AK...

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Trichenella is the same stuff that can rarely be found in domestic pork. That's why you should never eat your pork undercooked. The worms for cysts in your muscles and cause nasty pain and some swelling.

I'm not sure you ever get used to it. It's just that they form their cysts and if you don't get reinfected, the cysts might settle.

Ah, maybe it's just because it's wild then. That's pretty gross...

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   

I've seen bigger hogs. That's big but not giant by any stretch. Average. We don't know the pigs age.
Of course the ferrel pig isn't getting the super feed and care and a roof over their head either.

Lotta bacon and pork chops either way.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalShadow

Oh slow roasted pig on a spit. Turned and basted and basted and turned with the care of a first time lover until that meat just jumps onto your plate and says where's the hot sauce. Hmmmm.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: norhoc
That doesn’t look giant ro me

He ain't no Hogzilla, that's for sure.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join