It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

College freshmen urged to get meningitis shots

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 11:11 AM
link   
A government panel is recommending that all dorm dwelling colledge freshman get vacinated for Meningitis, as well as 11 & 12 year old children.

ATLANTA - All college freshmen who live in dorms should be vaccinated for meningitis, a government panel recommended Thursday for the first time, reversing policy of the past.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

This shot costs about $100 each so I wonder if they suspect an outbreak, or if they think this will be beneficial to everyone.I always worry I about what kind of side effects these shot can produce.Especially will all the new drugs being rushed through without proper study.

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 12:14 PM
link   
What I saw on CNN was that there is a new meningitus strain lurking around college dorms. A few years back there was a scare, because a student in UCLA or USC died of meningitus, and the vaccines were actually at a stand still because alot of dorm living college students and incoming college freshmen were getting them. Overall, it's just an overall safety precaution.

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I never got one when I came to college about a year and a half ago. If I had gone back to my first college, I would have been require to get one. I also seem to remember no more than five years ago there was a break out of meningitus at Case Western (or another school near Cleveland).

Also, this past summer, there was a strain of it running around Western WV (I don't know if it was the same strain as the college kind) but a few of my co-workers got it, and it was nasty.

I really oughta get one.

join