It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our Monarchy...Saying Goodbye?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Since the Queen is not going to that stupid wedding, which i am sick of hearing about, news station have jumped on the "Do we need a monarchy", most think we dont. The monarchy is long dead in this country, its a waste of space and needs removing.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Found an interesting break down of the royal finances:

Royal Money

Figures for the year 2003 show that the royal family 'cost' each person in the UK 60p, up from 58p last year. The rise was caused largely by the Jubilee celebrations. However, these 'facts', although correct in themselves, fail to tell the whole story.

So the royal family generates £127 million a year, which is higher than I thought, I would have thought that the figure would have been closer to £10million's, I'm interested to what republicans say about this.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard
So the royal family generates £127 million a year

- I don't believe they actually personally generate a penny Wizard.
(ok slight exaggeration, some people do come along to stand in a line to watch one of them waft by in a limo, but I am quite certain that it isn't very much when one considers that seeing the Queen etc is hardly a regular occurance anyway, is it?)

The crowds and the tourists come to see the historic sights which would still be there and still be generating money in it's millions whether we have a Monarchy or not.

Ditto the pagentry, as other countries demonstrate time after time a major national spectacle hardly requires a Monarchy now does it?

(Although maybe if they did strip out those elements of the calculation and be a lot more honest about it all it wouldn't look so flattering to the Monarchy though, huh?)

[edit on 14-3-2005 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 03:28 AM
link   

The crowds and the tourists come to see the historic sights which would still be there and still be generating money in it's millions whether we have a Monarchy or not.

I have to agree with you on this one. Even if the Monarchy was to go, we wouldn't start removing our history, the history will still be there when the Monarchy goes.

I strongly believe, when the Queen steps down or dies, a republican movenment will start to push forward in this country.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Camilla will be queen!!

Government sources have said that legislation would be needed to "comply with her wishes not to become queen". Mr Mackinlay said legislation would be needed in 17 parliaments around the world, where the British monarch is head of state, for the change to be made.

Mr Mackinlay said such a legislation change "shouldn't be done for one man and one man alone.

He added that the Government may fear that asking parliaments in countries such as Canada, New Zealand and Australia for a change in legislation could stir up republican sentiments there.

Or there will be no queen at all...

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Just thought I'd throw in an angle from one of the "other" subject nations. I think this article sums up how Australia feels.

www.timesonline.co.uk...

THE Prince of Wales’s five-day tour of Australia ended yesterday with claims that his visit, which saw some protests against his marriage to Camilla Parker Bowles, had put the republican cause back on the country’s agenda.

Protesters opposed to next month’s wedding cried “shame” and held up posters of the late Diana, Princess of Wales in Sydney. The visit, his first since 1994, also reopened debate over his future role as king of Australia.

Kim Beazley, the leader of the opposition Labour party, said minutes after meeting the prince that he would press ahead with moves to make Australia into a republic if he were elected in 2007.

One opinion poll showed that 53% of people would prefer a republic to having the prince as their constitutional head of state. Only 30% wanted him to reign over Australia and 17% were undecided.

The poll also found that 59% wanted Prince Charles to renounce the throne in favour of Prince William.

I'm with Bob Hawke on this one. Australian Republic is "inevitable". So long as Eddie MacQuire is banned from running for President.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I'm becoming more and more a Republican the longer the Royal Family exists, it really needs to clean its act up and reform, if not I can the British people saying 'goodbye' and kicking them out their castles.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 10:48 PM
link   
After discovering that mwm1331 has been banned after I noticed his posts disappeared in another thread, I'm wondering why the thread list states that the last post in here was made by Seekerof and upon clicking page 2 there is no post here by Seekerof...

edit: well, I destroyed the evidence by posting...

[edit on 9-4-2005 by cargo]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join