It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Surveillance Camera Options - Any Ideas?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I live in between a few different locations depending on what's going on with my work schedule and my personal life. I'm wondering if anyone has advice on what products/services would be ideal for me to have surveillance camera(s) at each location for when I'm away for more than a couple of days at a time.

I've heard things about "Nest" cams, and others like "Nanny cams". I'm hoping to find something I can order online and set up myself - preferably a camera that can live stream to my phone or laptop, or alert me if there is activity.

Can anyone point me in the right direction or help me narrow down what options I should look further into?

I would prefer the cameras to be fairly high quality so that if something did happen, I could use the footage to identify individuals or important clues.

Any help would be extremely appreciated.

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

I run 3 Nest Dropcams. HD, voice, mount with a magnetic bottom so it can be set up just about anywhere. A little over a hundred for each one, and monthly service depends on how long you want videos stored.

Alerts and movements are marked on the stream so you can go straight to it.

I'll PM the pics, just remembered location is in the photo info
edit on 22-10-2017 by BestinShow because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: BestinShow

It sounds like these Nest cams would be useful for both indoor and outdoor surveillance? Preferably I would want one cam watching the driveway/entrance outside, and 2nd one watching my "important" room where I have my financial documents and work stuff.

I work for a non-profit and have to deal with personal information like financial, medical, and criminal history information of the public. This is part of the reason I need to have increased security at home

edit on 22-10-2017 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 03:22 PM
link   

We have an Amcrest, and were happy with it so far.
It has night vision, pan /tilt, two way audio, can stream to a desktop or phone app. Set up is pretty easy as well.

You can get them on amazon, we got ours instead of a baby monitor.

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 04:18 PM
link   
We use ARLO in our home and like it. they are simple and easy to install, have night vision etc. The Gen 2 PRO versions have 1080p and rechargeable batteries. The limits are you need a wifi system.

Its expensive as well. But a hybrid system that uses the arlo in hard to reach places and a traditional hardwires system may help compensate for both

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Main thing is to change the password and ensure the software is up to date and do the basic thing of checking to see if there is an update and also like they say about toothbrushes aka change them every 6 months.

There is an whole load of things on passwords/router security etc online so have a read, generally the cheaper stuff will have less security but if it stops at the gate most nasties will not bother to try harder.

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quantumgamer1776

We have an Amcrest, and were happy with it so far.
It has night vision, pan /tilt, two way audio, can stream to a desktop or phone app. Set up is pretty easy as well.

You can get them on amazon, we got ours instead of a baby monitor.

We have this too. Great system. Great price. We use it when we are on vacation to check on the dogs and the dog sitter. We also can watch when we have a contractor at the house when we aren't home

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I was really impressed when I saw people on the ferry, taking out their smartphones and viewing a video stream of their garden/driveway/front door.

I have an EZviz mini360+ camera at home. Mainly use it to keep an eye on the driveway. Very easy to install. Just plug it into the mains power supply, then register it with the wifi router or (more securewise) with an Ethernet cable. Create a cloud account and register an online account, then download and install the smartphone software. Then it streams the video live and lets you pan/tilt the camera. Very simple to instal and use.

nerdtechy.com...

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Don't I need to pay like $10 per month in order to record surveillance footage?

It looks like on Amazon it also requires 1 AAA battery, do you know about either of these things? Thanks for the message, I got it but the photo was broken for some reason. I appreciate your input!

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I have been researching this for quite some time. I was about to pull the trigger on an arlo set up when I came across a company called blink while reading reviews. Check them out, they are expanding their line to include other security items. Their price is awesome. They have indoor and out door WiFi cameras. Very long life batteries. Night vision, alerts, and live viewing capability, with audio.

There are more considerations though and it is hard to say what will fufill your needs.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 04:21 PM
link   

They have a few different storage plans. I think I paid $60/year for 10 days of storage - meaning, each day of the year is stored for 10 days. There are different options.

And no need for a battery, it plugs in.

I deleted the pic from my media here right after I sent it to you. My bad for not following up on you with that. I'll do a screen grab so you can see the UI and quality.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 09:45 PM
link   

I ordered a dropcam today but looking at comments posters say it was $10 a month - if it's just $60 a year that's not bad at all. Guess I'll need to do a little more research.

No worries - I appreciate your feedback my friend.

From what I've read it looks like a 64 gig SD memory card is the biggest size it will take

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   

if you have some old smartphones, go to the app store and download a app like "Alfred". turns your old phone into a wifi cam, just starting to use it, but looks like you can password protect your "cams" and It will alert you to motion, if set up that way

new topics

top topics

join