It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientist Asked: Is Eating Synthetic Human Flesh Cannibalism?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

If such a thing were ever to become mainstream it would be a perfect medium to introduce nefarious means of genetic and/or biological manipulation regarding our race given the similarities genetically speaking to the product in question.

This soylent green bull crap could quite possibly have agenda 21 applications involved.

Then again same thing can be done with ordinary beef, in the grand scheme of things, genetically speaking we are not that different to Mushrooms.

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie
a reply to: luthier

the question was is eating Is Eating Synthetic Human Flesh Cannibalism?
not, Is Eating Synthetic Human Flesh philosophically or morally wrong?

Cannibalism in this sense of the word means are you a cannibal.
can·ni·bal
[ˈkanəb(ə)l]
NOUN

a person who eats the flesh of other human beings:
"cannibal tribes"
synonyms: man-eater · people-eater · anthropophagite · anthropophagist
an animal that feeds on flesh of its own species.

in order to practice Cannibalism one can only eat the flesh of ones own species, not eat the flesh of one that looks like a human or your intent,not any other species no matter what they look like. if one has sex with a puppy it's not called pedophilia it called bestiality, if one has sex with a machine, it's called ASFR or technosexuality.

now as far as intent, or your desire, as i said that's another question all together. this question is the about the act of eating Synthetic Human Flesh not intent or your desire/thoughts while doing it.

Did you read the article?

They are talking about several factors.

What you're completely missing is this is an ethical question..which requires the exploration of morality.

How was the synthetic meat grown etc...

What is the purpose.

Are there any cultures you can think of that eat people where it wasn't their philosophy?

I think your stuck on literal translations and definitions. That isn't what this article reads IMO.
edit on 22-10-2017 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: dashen
i like mine with raspberry marmalade and white truffles
is it just me or there more cannibalism articles these days?

Nope, not just you. The whole cannibalism theme is in our face everywhere these days.

The Last Taboo - Cannibalism.

As for eating 'synthetic' human flesh?

No soul - no problem - I'd guess, emphasis on 'guess'.

peace

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

See this is indeed the ethical dilemma.

We humans kick and scream about the rights we should have extended and luxuries made available to our masses yet one has to wonder if we would afford such to our own creations?

End of the day the paradigm we have followed throughout recorded history is flawed beyond redemption really and must be replaced before we are able to progress further scientifical and sociologically speaking.

Else we are doomed to repeat the past historical and sociological transgressions of our predecessors, there is simply no progress in such inconsistent logic, only stagnation really.

edit on 22-10-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

in the grand scheme of things, we are not that different to Mushrooms.
Speak for yourself mate. I'm hoping to stay a human being

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Me too, but the reality is that as we approach the singularity, what we consider to be Human, or at least consider to experience the same Human condition as we do, may and possibly will dramatically change.

Else the possible future conflicts and race wars in which we find ourselves, or we seek out, will not be between different ethnic minorities and religious indifference, but between metahumans of our own creation and the ever-diminishing normal everyday garden variety.

Might seem like fiction or something out of the DC universe, but science and current Orwellian socioeconomic climate prevailing, 50-100 years down the line that's pretty much what we will face as a race.

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 03:29 PM
link   
This is a multi-pointed question:
First the science;
Does it contain human DNA? If it does then it doesn't really what you call the meat it is human. Synthetic or not the DNA is human. Think of it this way, some people with gout can't eat pork because it's to rich and will aggravate their gout. Calling it ham, bacon, BBQ pig, or many of the other seductive names doesn't change the fact that it's still pork. It's all about the DNA of the donor animal, be it pig, cow, or in this case human.

Next is the question of philosophy;
What constitutes being human? If the answer is that we have a soul, then we can assume that a mass murderer could be safely eaten since they are judged to be soulless by the population.

Is it a religious stance? There are a few religions that believe that if you are not worshipping their idea of god then you are not human. In these peoples minds non-believers are little more then cattle to slaughter.

Finally is the question of knowing;
If you ate human flesh but didn't know what it was are you being cannibalistic? No knowing doesn't excuse the fact that you consumed human flesh. If you blindly inject blood into your veins and now have HIV, you can't say that you don't because you didn't know HIV was in one of the blood injections. If you like to toss heavy boxes into a wood chipper, and one box had a child hiding in it, you can say you didn't know this so a murder charge should be applied.

As you can see from the few examples that this question really can't be asked with out any definitions boxing in the question. Scientifically no you can't, but and argument can be made for it philosophically. Either way you must balance this out with what you know, and how do you see it. Knowing what you've done can over ride any philosophic ideals, and sometimes even suspecting that you may have preformed the act is enough to believe that you did.

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: TobyFlenderson
a reply to: Ophiuchus 13

Only if you're a synthetic human, no?

On a more serious note, why can't they produce synthetic meat from literally any other creature on earth? The idea of eating any synthetic meat seems immoral to me.

Synthetic meat is a logical alternative as it relieves the natural livestock of any further stress of being fed upon. If husk are utilized then no pain or harm is the outcome...

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Ophiuchus 13

I know but viscerally it just grosses me out. Not a logical argument, just a gut feeling.

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Re-read the OP, then re-read what I said.

Honestly, just do it.

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier

Well, I'm not a fan of brains on my dinner plate

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I still wonder why someone would want to do this though. If you can lab culture beef, pork, chicken, fish, etc., why bother with culturing human meat too?

Medicine. Transplant tissue. Donors. Ethics.
edit on 22-10-2017 by intrptr because: quote

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Maybe not cannibalism, or even illegal. It's still f'n creepy as hell.

Synthetic human flesh--4.98/lb get yours today. Yep. Creepy. No thanks.

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Am I the only one that isn’t grossed out or finds this morally ok? Like... it’s synthetic. Hense not real

Also, you gotta love the last line in the OP’s quote. I detect a self righteous vegan
edit on 22/10/17 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

Why would you make synthetic human flesh when other proteins of the same content are just as easy? Why use human dna?

Hmmm..
edit on 22-10-2017 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

Why would you make synthetic human flesh when other proteins of the same content are just as easy? Why use human dna?

Hmmm..

Why does it matter? Meat is meat. If we eat it, and it provides the protein and nutrients we need from it, why does it matter what dna it represents?

The ONLY two concerns I would have is contracting an ailment, which, being synthetic, there would be none, and how much it costs financially and resourcefully to produce and buy.

Everything else is an individuals personal mental block.

Think about it this way. Why doesn’t the west eat insects as a primary source of meat? It’s cheap to produce, it’s easy to farm, it would cost significantly less to purchase due to low production costs, and in many cases it provides more nutritional value per pound than standard western meat, with significantly less fat.

The reason the west doesn’t have a massive insect meat market is primarily because “it’s gross”. It’s a mental block that doesn’t need to exist.

Much like the mental block a person would have eating synthetic human meat.

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Eating human flesh is not only a stigma, but it is not good for you.

"Other than the social stigma of cannibalism and, you know, the murder part, there is another important reason why consuming human flesh is not a universal practice: it can be deadly. Prion diseases, a group of uncommon and deadly brain diseases, can be spread by eating the contaminated flesh of humans...Jan 21, 2008"

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

Hmmm..

Exactly what I was thinking, maybe the question in the OP is just..food for thought

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Why does anything matter?

Why would you purposely make synthetic human meat unless you wanted to taste human flesh and get around legal matters?

It would cost the same amount to make any flesh? Why make human? Unless you want to taste human flesh.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join