It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cornish Pastries and Vegetable Fat?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I saw a picture in one of your posts pixy, it was a really yummy looking cornish pasty. So I went on a hunt looking for recipes so I could try and make them.

It brought back memories of last year when we went to scottish festivals and they made those meat pies..

I don't think i've ever had a cornish pasty but they look so good.

So I went on a site that has many different kinds to make so i'm going to try and make them at home..

However i'm not sure what vegetable fat is. It was either that or lard and I didn't want to go with lard, the veggie fat just sounded more healthier.

Anyone know where I can get this vegetable fat for the dough??

[edit on 11-2-2005 by TrueLies]

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Crisco is all vegtable.
* puts on Southern Drawl*
I'll tell you what, lard is great stuff & tends to make a pastry flakiers. There seems to be less absorbition when you cook with it too, so it's healthier than those that "stick" to the food & make it greeasy.

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bout Time
I'll tell you what, lard is great stuff & tends to make a pastry flakiers. There seems to be less absorbition when you cook with it too, so it's healthier than those that "stick" to the food & make it greeasy.

I wouulda neva thoughta that... Got some crisco in the bottom cabnit, i'm gonna have to whip me out some of that over the weekend...

Will be posting pictures of my first try in the cooking section.. Stay tuned!
oooo the suspense of it all...

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 01:11 PM
link   
pisky is certainly the one to ask for advice on cornish pasties. He posted a recipe here complete with his pasty picture. I don't know if his recipe is that same as those you have already found , but perhaps he could advise you on the best sort of fat to make them with.
www.belowtopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 01:14 PM
link   
YOu might be able to find some more recipes for them on the net by searching under "Oggy"....That's one of the beleived origins of why the British shout "Oggy Oggy Oggy" at soccer games - Oggy is slang for a Cornish Pasty....

THey sound spretty good.....I bet you couild take this dish Italian and make it flaky calzone.....sun dried tomatoes, spinach, basil, buffalo mozzarella, pancetta....mmmm - hehe

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Or a Latin neigborhood/market close by, you can cheat &skip the hard part - the pastry making step - and get Discos by Goya. They are 6 inch round diameter pastry skins that you can fill and fold over, just press the endges with a fork.
I always have those and wonton or eggroll skins.....great way to kill leftovers.

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 01:35 PM
link   
No Latin communities nearby except 1hr south then i'll be in detroit.

We have the choping block which is a butcher's shop, would they have that kind of stuff??

I just loved those meat pies at the scottish festival, i'm not so sure they would taste like cornish pasties, but man you gotta watch how mnay of those you eat, espeically with my build, i'd be over my bmi in no time.

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   
The Goya pastry disks might be in your freezer section.

For the English style, you can get away with redi-made frozen pie crusts, since many of them are in a vessel, and not designed to be hand foods. You can make it that way....just cut down on the filling & "dry" it out a bit ....not a suacy one.

new topics

top topics

join