It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hiker Commits Murder-Suicide Rather Than Be Killed By The Elements.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 08:02 PM
link   
October 21, 2017

This is a very sad ending, and somewhat perplexing. Joseph Orbeso committed murder/suicide, instead of succumbing to the elements.

California couple Rachel Nguyen and Joseph Orbeso went missing three months ago in Joshua Tree National Park. Searchers found them shot dead this week, locked in an embrace, officials say.

"Based on evidence located at the scene, detectives believe Orbeso shot Nguyen, then shot himself," the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department said in a statement.

A gun found near the bodies was registered to Orbeso, officials said.

Source: (Read Quickly. CNN is HELL on browsers.) www.cnn.com...

Don't National Parks have cell phone towers?

Have any of you ever been so miserable and close to death, that you felt like stopping the suffering by committing suicide? I find it hard to imagine losing hope to the point where you'd kill your mate/friend, and then yourself.

-CareWeMust

+8 more 
posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Hell, I feel like ending it on a daily basis.

+10 more 
posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Yeah that doesn't make sense.

First off it's a national park, not some random wooded area that is uncharted. Even if they went off trail and got lost, just pick a direction, downhill preferably, and walk. You'll hit a marked trail.

Second: they went missing during the summer. Basic survival skills like foraging and trapping/catching small critters could've sustained them.

Third: he had a gun!? That makes the whole survivng off the land thing easier. Also, with that gun he could've signaled for help using the universal "3 shots as fast as possible around dusk hours" that any park ranger and most hikers would recognize.

Yes, they could've been out of water... he may have had very limited ammo...

But IT RAINS and don't ever give up. Ever.

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: norhoc

Are you one of those "Fast and Furious" personalities?

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: seaswine

Most people alive today do not know basic survival skills. If there is no Netflix, QuikTrip, or Chipotle they think it is over.

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Don't know what you mean by that. What does that mean?

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Apparently this park is huge. The article says that 10 people were injured during the massive search.

Since I've never been close to dying a slow, hideous death, I can't make any statements...only ask questions.

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Are you one of those "Fast and Furious" personalities?

Sorry, I had to read your post again. I thought you were saying that you come close to dying every day.

Rather than me probe you with questions, perhaps you'd like to explain what you mean, NorHoc?

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 08:25 PM
link   

I thought it was apparent, everyday I hope I die. You asked in Op if anyone has ever been so miserable that they felt like ending it, I said yes everyday

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 08:25 PM
link   
were they were located there is no water source. also for the most part flat. you can get lost out there. mountain lions are very rare out there and bobcats wont want to mess with you. bringing a gun to that park is very strange. rattlesnakes and tweekers are about the only dangerous things out there.

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 08:44 PM
link   
The title says it all, Murder-Suicide......

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Sadly Joshua Tree National Park is our Aokigahara. It's a huge dessert park that's almost half a million acres of wilderness (I've hike there a couple of times, it's a really great place, but you should know the very basics of outdoor safety before heading out)

There are many tales and reports of people who've gone out there to die, sometimes while walking around you might find the remains of someone that at sometime had taken their life, or had their life taken. So that leaves the question, "Did they get in to trouble out in the wilderness, or did they get into trouble in the cityness?"
edit on 21-10-2017 by Guyfriday because: Blah Blah Blah

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 09:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Apparently this park is huge. The article says that 10 people were injured during the massive search.

Since I've never been close to dying a slow, hideous death, I can't make any statements...only ask questions.

I agree. Not doing any judging over here as I've never been in that situation. I also think that murder-suicide isn't necessarily what happened. It sounds more like it might have a suicide pact, even though he did shoot her it may have been on request.

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Guyfriday

Ya i was wondering myself,maybe it was a murder/suicide pact,and that's where they decided to opt out of this incarnation,in the beautiful wilderness?

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 11:05 PM
link   

I thought it was apparent, everyday I hope I die. You asked in Op if anyone has ever been so miserable that they felt like ending it, I said yes everyday

With that question, I was referring to being caught in a once-in-a-lifetime situation, like lost in a desert, lost at sea, etc..

But I'm glad that you're not following through on the urge to end your life, NorHoc. As long as you're alive, there's the potential for that desire/urge to go away.

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 11:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: seaswine

But IT RAINS and don't ever give up. Ever.

One thing I've learned from watching Survivorman...Always keep up hope, and always look for water. If I'm going into strange territory I'll always carry some basic things...some rope, one or two knives, and a lighter. But this guy had a gun...he could have figured out a way to feed himself.

I'm thinking something more had to happen.

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 11:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: cancerslug
were they were located there is no water source. also for the most part flat. you can get lost out there. mountain lions are very rare out there and bobcats wont want to mess with you. bringing a gun to that park is very strange. rattlesnakes and tweekers are about the only dangerous things out there.

Thankyou for that information about the Joshua Tree National Park. Apparently the "will to live" wasn't as strong as what we've seen in others who have been rescued, after weeks of being lost.

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 11:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlesT
The title says it all, Murder-Suicide......

But rescuers eventually found them by following their trail of candy wrappers, and water bottles. Doesn't sound like they went to the Park for that reason...but you never know.

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 11:35 PM
link   
a reply to: kelbtalfenek

Precisely. Someone else mentioned a possible 'suicide pact' type thing. I find that to be most plausible. Either that or straight-up murder suicide by literal definition.

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 11:38 PM
link   
This park is not a lush mountain glen, it is a huge, stark, desert area. It has no water and the only plants there are creosote bushes and Joshua trees. There is very little animal life; snakes, lizards, few jackrabbits and fewer coyotes. It's a dangerous place even if you are prepared and a seasoned trekker. The daytime temps soar up to 120F and at night drops into the 40s.
When they went it was the height of the hottest part of the year and they simply weren't prepared at all for where they went.
edit on 21-10-2017 by Elostone because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join