It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Honolulu bans smokers in cars when children are present

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT
The smart ones vase and it's hard to catch the vapors.

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 08:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence
I guess my point about "bringing kids into pubs" was that if someone is going into a pub (a bar), the connotation and intention to me is simply going to drink, versus "we're going out to eat", in which case bringing kids would be improper.

If that makes sense.

It does make sense and I totally see your point, but I hearken back to my upbringing. Growing up we spanned the globe in the 70's and my parents took us to lounges and bars in all the great cities we visited. We would sit, drink our Shirley temples, my mom would have a few Gin and Tonics (Beefeaters and Schweppes was her preferred), my dad would have a few Black Lables or a Bourbon and 7 and we would sit and talk about the day of travel or just spend family time. It was fantastic quality time.

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS
The smart ones vase and it's hard to catch the vapors.

yeah I see it as more of an add on thing anyway if your caught doing something else. I don't see McGarrett and Dan-o spending alot of time enforcing this

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 08:05 PM
link   

The smoke is really "first hand" when it leave the tip of the cigarette and enters the nostrils of others.

This "ban" makes more sense than forcing a driver to buckle himself up.

edit on 10/21/2017 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

I would argue both make sense, but that's just me.

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 08:06 PM
link   
It goes without saying really. Littering is another issue and out of context in many ways since the vast majority of people litter, and even the stuff that goes into wheelie bins has a large percentage that ends up on the highways and byways.
Car interiors also have their own problems, and they are not pristine environments in any case.

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: FredT

originally posted by: Liquesence
I guess my point about "bringing kids into pubs" was that if someone is going into a pub (a bar), the connotation and intention to me is simply going to drink, versus "we're going out to eat", in which case bringing kids would be improper.

If that makes sense.

It does make sense and I totally see your point, but I hearken back to my upbringing. Growing up we spanned the globe in the 70's and my parents took us to lounges and bars in all the great cities we visited. We would sit, drink our Shirley temples, my mom would have a few Gin and Tonics (Beefeaters and Schweppes was her preferred), my dad would have a few Black Lables or a Bourbon and 7 and we would sit and talk about the day of travel or just spend family time. It was fantastic quality time.

That does sound fantastic.

I have nothing wrong with that, but it's not exactly what I was talking about.

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 08:19 PM
link   
The problem is than any law we allow them to make is inherently backed by lethal force..

Get a ticket. Refuse to pay it, get a warrant , refuse to be arrested , get killed..

And as crazy as it sounds , I doubt there is is one law on the books no matter how small that hasn’t played out exactly like that.

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 08:22 PM
link   

As far as the topic at hand, I quite smoking. As such, I don't like being around cigarette smoke since it irritates me respiratorily and I hate the smell. I'd prefer not to have it indoors where people may go. As a person who drinks, and loves to drink, I can see how this would be a problem in bars. I've experienced it after I quit, and I still have mixed feelings.

That said, knowing the dangers of cigarette smoke, and how people (and animals) are averse to it..why? Why would you smoke in a home or a car with a child?
edit on 21-10-2017 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

I would argue both make sense, but that's just me.

What about forcing a motorcycle driver to wear a helmet?

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 08:46 PM
link   

You cannot ride without a helmet here.
I have ridden without one(around the block kinda thing) and i admit it is a nice feeling.
Having said that I grew up with bikes and riders..most at some point have had a spill, some would not be with us if they were not wearing one..and without exception, anyone I know who has been hit or had a spill would never ride without a good helmet.
I gave up riding a sportster as the traffic is pretty bad and just waaaaay too many idiot drivers out there.
edit on 21-10-2017 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 11:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: FredTIt does make sense and I totally see your point, but I hearken back to my upbringing. Growing up we spanned the globe in the 70's and my parents took us to lounges and bars in all the great cities we visited. We would sit, drink our Shirley temples, my mom would have a few Gin and Tonics (Beefeaters and Schweppes was her preferred), my dad would have a few Black Lables or a Bourbon and 7 and we would sit and talk about the day of travel or just spend family time. It was fantastic quality time.

Same, same.

I went to the local bar with my parents and grandparents fairly often. My time was spent drinking coke and feeding quarters into the pinball machines and Space Invaders.

Honestly, how on earth will they police such a law? The word of another driver that saw you smoking and snapped a cell phone pic? A cop seeing you directly?

How much longer before you get a knock on your door and a cop is standing there to fine you because you have kids and you smoke inside? Smoking is awful for you, yes, but I bet if you took a hard look, the effects of drinking on a person and others around them via their actions is far worse in the long run.

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 03:40 AM
link   

It's putting the child's health at risk, so I guess there is some rationale behind the law. Concerned parents wouldn't risk using spray paint or bug spray around children in an enclosed area, so second hand smoke could also be considered just as dangerous.

I can't understand why anyone would pick up the habit of smoking in the first place knowing how damaging it is to their health. The same thing could be said about drugs and the excess consumption of alcohol.

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Lol. In the land where they liberally spray horrific amounts of harmful toxic pesticides, they decide to band against side stream tobacco smoke.

This world continues to amaze me with it's ever-growing idiocy. So. many. fools.

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 05:42 AM
link   
It's already law in Oz, at least in some states & not sure if it's all states yet. Goes along with children (and all passengers) in vehicles having approved safety restraints, use of a cellphone by the driver of a vehicle (excluding hands-free options eg bluetooth) etc which all attract on the spot fines and demerit points.

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 09:16 AM
link   

A pack of marlboros is a little over $6 on Oahu if you go to the right places. Otherwise up to $8.

Tobacco and alcohol are reasonably priced here in Hawaii.

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: FredT
It seemed like this one was inevitable. The dangers of second hand smoke are well documented and as the supporters of the bill say its not like the child in the car has a choice in the matter. It may have a secondary effect of reducing the litter of cigarette butts as well. The ban would also apply to vaping.

I would expect other cities to start enacting this ban and perhaps you will see statewide measures as well.

www.staradvertiser.com...

*Michigan has since added this as well as to smoking in vehicles w/ children.
c/o Michigan.Gov

Michigan Smoke Free Law
Frequently Asked Questions
General Information

"Beginning May 1, 2010, smoking is prohibited in most public places in Michigan. The law will cover any workplace and any food service establishment. This law covers public places including, but not limited to, restaurants, bars, shopping malls, bowling alleys, concert halls, arenas, museums, mechanic shops, health facilities, nursing homes, education facilities, and child care centers."

And almost 10-50 ft away from most locations. As well as parks and bus-stops now I believe
edit on 22-10-2017 by mysterioustranger because: edit to add

edit on 22-10-2017 by mysterioustranger because: spl

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 09:36 AM
link   
it's not really any thing we see here anymore. Nor do I see cigarette butts on the roads and parking lots.
However, it is wise to enforce it I think. Good.

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 09:38 AM
link   
How long until some tourist is caught after mowing down a few folks on Kuhio Blvd. all the while they were driving while texting, drunk while looking for the matchbook from that dive bar?

Another rule...

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

The way things are going they'll get stabbed before they even get to their car.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join