It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just So We're Straight — Gen. Kelly Was Wrong

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

I agree.

I have respect for Gen. Kelly as a man, a soldier and commanding officer, as a civil servant and as the father of a son who died in combat and another deployed currently. I also think he was able to bring about a measure of sanity in the White House that feckless Priebus was too weak to instill — something that I appreciate as an American, despite my dislike of Trump.

But that press briefing was a disaster.

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kettu

originally posted by: TinfoilTP
The black whorehouse madam dressup Congress fail woman and her rhinestones just cannot polish the turd that is the Fake News.

I'm actually shocked the owners and those that run this place allow comments like this. Even in this so-called "mud pit".

I thought the terms and conditions of the site still somewhat mattered.

I'm not sure what's more sad...seeing comments like this with more and more frequency, or the sheer number of stars comments like this get.

Usually you can call a third person a vile name but they will crack down if he calls other posters names like that

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
a reply to: Kettu

Two years ago he would have been banned for racism.

I know. I browsed ATS from time to time long before I ever made an account. I'm talking about 10+ years I've been on/off visiting this site.

I think advertisers aren't really aware of some of the content that's getting a free pass these days, honestly.

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   
In the old days the racists called a black woman like this an uppity n-word

That’s what the racists are doing now when they see her and respond like some people here

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

That’s what the racists are doing now when they see her and respond like some people here

Them dog whistles bro...

Just because you've found new and creative ways to be racist that fly under the radar...you're still being racist.

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 05:49 PM
link   
What ATS will do if the thread gets to nasty is shut it down.

That's their observable methodology as I've seen so far.

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
a reply to: theantediluvian

I honestly haven't understood a single thing he's "contributed" to the thread so far.

Then again, that's probably my fault for trying to somehow correlate it to the OP.

Well, to his credit, I guess he's still doing better than:

"The black whorehouse madam dressup Congress fail woman and her rhinestones just cannot polish the turd that is the Fake News."

Which also has no bearing on the topic and sadly, is the most popular comment in the thread.

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

Them dog whistles bro...

Just because you've found new and creative ways to be racist that fly under the radar...you're still being racist.

I agree, I'm not arguing with you.

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 05:51 PM
link   

I know. I browsed ATS from time to time long before I ever made an account. I'm talking about 10+ years I've been on/off visiting this site.

I think advertisers aren't really aware of some of the content that's getting a free pass these days, honestly.

Well, I know for a fact, S.O. despises racism and racists, and I have this thought that one day he's going to storm in here like a tornado, and ban them all! Sigh.

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 05:55 PM
link   

I have respect for Gen. Kelly as a man, a soldier and commanding officer, as a civil servant and as the father of a son who died in combat and another deployed currently.

I do as well.

The thing, though, is that he's between a rock and a hard place, trying to do damage control. For one, Trump is his 'boss,' which means he has to toe the line. On the other hand, he's trying as best he can to smooth things out (damage control), and probably tries to talk some sense into Trump, or at least reasonably explain things, since Trump seems to respect him.

At the end of the day however, Trump is his boss, Kelly is CoS, and he just *might* be one of the few voices of reason, or a barrier to complete irrationality, as can be hoped or expected *in* the White House, and close to the president.

But that he completely misrepresented (lied) about the congresswoman, is where I have the biggest problem.

edit on 21-10-2017 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Actually you have it fairly well placed. I did get very pissed at it and didn't read the whole thing.

Kelly's speech moved me, and I suspect, millions of others on what he had gone through in a similar situation of his own. His advice to Trump-which I'm sure was in response to Trump asking him for advice- was to not phone
as nothing would improve how she would feel.

My gut tightened on his personal loss and the honest response he gave. On the political comments he made, I don't know what the source was for his information.

He well stated that she was called in advance as to whether she would accept a call from the President and responded that she would. (I cannot dump on her, myself, as she has just lost a son. She may blame Trump personally for that loss. I don't know. She was grieving and that alone buys....understanding, if not agreement.)

The mitigating circumstances implied by the connections between the mother and the Congresswoman is, IMO, spin and nothing more.

The tape of Trump making that call, or a similar one to another parent, I'm not sure which it is, is in the finest tradition set by anyone ever in a similar call. Period.

Both you, yourself, and the OP claims reading 'transcripts'. I find that laughable. I still believe neither of you have watched Kelly's speech whatsoever. It is hugely in contradiction to your claims as to suggest alternate universes are in play. I mean that 100% and is an equally honest comment.

Lastly, you say 'half cocked'. More accurate would be FULLY cocked. I believe you have no idea how many other also feel similarly. I have looked for ways to achieve 'an agreement to disagree'. 10th Amendment. Dissolving the union into like groups. Anything to avoid the potential of revolt or civil war.

After this....I almost looked foreward to finishing this one way or another.(If you get my drift) This thread keeps that mentality as a strong option.

That is the degree of sheer, cold rage that is building at the grass root level, rightly or wrongly.....Really.

edit on 21-10-2017 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

originally posted by: Shamrock6

I honestly haven't understood a single thing he's "contributed" to the thread so far.

Then again, that's probably my fault for trying to somehow correlate it to the OP.

Well, to his credit, I guess he's still doing better than:

"The black whorehouse madam dressup Congress fail woman and her rhinestones just cannot polish the turd that is the Fake News."

Which also has no bearing on the topic and sadly, is the most popular comment in the thread.

Give me my cookie and I'll go away.

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Well, I know for a fact, S.O. despises racism and racists, and I have this thought that one day he's going to storm in here like a tornado, and ban them all! Sigh.

Perhaps he relies on members to keep it all in check through honest debate (and alerts when necessary due to extreme violation), as members denying ignorance?

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Just to summarize:

As of page 4 of the thread, nobody is actually disputing that what Gen. Kelly said was false. The opposing arguments have had something to do with certain peoples' faces exuding hatred for America; whorehouses, cowboy hats and rhinestones; and me not providing evidence for something not at all related to the topic of the OP.

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 06:05 PM
link   
One more comment on this peripheral issue. I don't want to derail the thread.

Again, I’m not an expert on the rules, but I deduce that one can call a third person or groups pretty much anything here, I think, except maybe blatant racial slurs.

If one of the posters was referred to like that, there’d be a serious problem.

I totally agree with that policy

Groups can be attacked but when it comes to personal attacks on each other, that is, gratefully, I perceive not allowed

Like you CAN'T say to a poster “your mothers a whore”

But you can say in the third person, “such and such a group are whores

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 06:05 PM
link   
The only thing anyone has against this OP is personal insults and saying people hate America.

Gotta love what ATS has turned into.

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Yes, they attack the other person instead of the topic in an attempt to shift the narrative.

Like a well-know current president, which they respect and admire him for doing.

Topic is unimportant; deflection, strawmen, and ad hominem are the means.
edit on 21-10-2017 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Kelly could have come to the podium, gave his very strong speech about what Gold Star families go through, and even given his personal kudos to President Trump for making an effort.

That would have been fine, a good soldier doing his job.

That's not what he did, however.

He came out and basically called a sitting member of Congress a loud-mouthed, empty-headed liar. Not only that, he suggested that military families grief is somehow more important than what other Americans go through.

He drove a further wedge between the military and the American people, in my opinion, and that is NOT WHAT NEEDED TO HAPPEN.

Not for Trump, not for any reason.

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

No, in the old days she would have been shining their shoes or cleaning their toilets or tap dancing right? Now a black woman can be a congresswoman. I do not see color when I look at her. I do not need to see the hat. I can just close my eyes and listen and know the type of person she is. No color. Just bull#.

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs
a reply to: Willtell

No, in the old days she would have been shining their shoes or cleaning their toilets or tap dancing right? Now a black woman can be a congresswoman. I do not see color when I look at her. I do not need to see the hat. I can just close my eyes and listen and know the type of person she is. No color. Just bull#.

Yep, flushed all your credibility in one comment.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join