It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just So We're Straight — Gen. Kelly Was Wrong

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   
As I write this, the top thread on ATS is WH Chief of Staff Kelly rips apart Congresswoman Rep. Frederica Wilson at Press Conference. It's typical of political cheerleading threads — "our guy" delivers epic tongue lashing to "theirs" so let's all take a moment to gather 'round to high five.

People do enjoy their exercises in mutual affirmation.

There's a number of problems with what Gen. Kelly said. He bashes Wilson for listening in on the conversation — implying that she some how inserted herself when the truth is, Congresswoman Wilson was a guest of the Johnson family (and as it happens, Wilson was the elementary school principal of Sgt. La David Johnson). Nor was she the only person to overhear the call. In fact, Gen. Kelly himself was among those in the room when Donald Trump made the call to Myeshia Johnson.

One part of the 10+ minute attack on Rep. Wilson wasn't merely an opinion-based smear, it was a wholly false account. To refresh your memories, here's what Gen. Kelly said about the dedication of an FBI field office in Miami:

"I'll end with this: In October — April, rather, of 2015, I was still on active duty, and I went to the dedication of the new FBI field office in Miami. And it was dedicated to two men who were killed in a firefight in Miami against drug traffickers in 1986 — a guy by the name of Grogan and Duke. Grogan almost retired, 53 years old; Duke, I think less than a year on the job. Anyways, they got in a gunfight and they were killed. Three other FBI agents were there, were wounded, and now retired. So we go down — Jim Comey gave an absolutely brilliant memorial speech to those fallen men and to all of the men and women of the FBI who serve our country so well, and law enforcement so well.

"There were family members there. Some of the children that were there were three or four years old when their dads were killed on that street in Miami-Dade. Three of the men that survived the fight were there, and gave a rendition of how brave those men were and how they gave their lives.

"And a congresswoman stood up, and in the long tradition of empty barrels making the most noise, stood up there and all of that and talked about how she was instrumental in getting the funding for that building, and how she took care of her constituents because she got the money, and she just called up President Obama, and on that phone call he gave the money — the $20 million — to build the building. And she sat down, and we were stunned. Stunned that she had done it. Even for someone that is that empty a barrel, we were stunned.

"But, you know, none of us went to the press and criticized. None of us stood up and were appalled. We just said, OK, fine."

Except that's not what happened at all. In a long tradition of hypocrisy among political figures, what Kelly did was every bit as bad as what he accused Rep. Wilson of doing. Worse still, she was actually accurate about what the President said whereas Kelly was entirely wrong.

Yesterday, the Sun Sentinel published a video of Rep. Wilson's speech, which you can view here (transcript excerpts USA Today):

Not one word of what Gen. Kelly said was true. Does that make Gen. Kelly an "empty barrel?" She didn't take credit for getting the building funded (it was funded before she took office) nor did she give credit to Obama for the funding of the building. What Kelly was referring to was the bit where she gave credit to a number of politicians for expediting the dedication that they were all attending, a perfectly reasonable, respectful and in fact, bipartisan comment:

"Everyone said that's impossible. It takes at least eight months to a year to complete the process, (pass it) out of the Senate and to the president's office. I said I'm a school principal and I said — excuse my french — 'Aw, hell no! we're going to get this done.'

Immediately I went into attack mode. I said to the Speaker (John) Boehner. And I said Mr. Speaker, we need your help. The FBI needs your help. The country needs your help. And we have no time to waste. He went into attack mode and in two days forwarded it out of committee, brought it to the floor for a vote. Representative (Carlos) Curbelo and I presented it and we all voted for it. And I dashed it over to the Senate and put our senators on notice. Put it on your radar. Sen. (Bill) Nelson and Sen. (Marco) Rubio ... hotlined it to the Senate floor in two days. And guess what: the president (Obama) signed the bill into law this past Tuesday, April 7, 2015 with a bang, bang, bang!

Her praise of the FBI and the agents murdered in the line of duty in 1986, to whom the building was dedicated, was effusive. Not even the characterization of the crowd's reaction was accurate. As the end of the video clearly shows, the reception was favorable, people were clapping and in fact, several members of the audience can be seen rising in applause as the video ends.

As much as I respect the service of Gen. Kelly and his sons, the sacrifice of his son who fell in combat and his family and as much as I appreciate the positive effect he's seemed to have on the White House, the reality is that he smeared Rep. Wilson with a false account.

The objective facts here are beyond refute.

I personally believe that since Gen. Kelly decided to wade into the debacle kicked off by the President last Monday when, in praising himself in a most douche baggy way, made his own false claims about his predecessors, that Gen. Kelly should in all fairness address his own falsehood and apologize.

Related to the above, Sarah Huckabee Sanders repeated the false claims in a press briefing. That's not surprising because she often lies and repeats the lies of the administration. Not that she's alone in this regard, it seems to go with the territory though she does have a certain self-righteous smugness to her lying that's particularly off-putting.

It's what she said when the account was questioned that really took the cake:

[Kelly] said there was a lot of grandstanding," Sanders said during Friday's White House press briefing. "He was stunned she had taken that opportunity to make it about herself."

When pressed as to whether Kelly could elaborate further, Sanders said he "addressed that pretty thoroughly yesterday."

But the reporter noted that the money was secured before Wilson was in Congress, which prompted Sanders to invoke Kelly's military career.

"If you want to go after General Kelly that's up to you but I think that if you want to get into a debate with a four-star Marine general, I think that's something highly inappropriate," Sanders said.

There you have it. It's inappropriate to call out false statements from a four-star general. First off, it's never inappropriate to challenge false statements from anyone. Secondly, we should be particularly eager to call out false statements from military commanders and lastly, Gen. Kelly is now the WH Chief of Staff and there are few things more appropriate than debating those in the political class.
edit on 2017-10-21 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Y'know what irked me the most about Kelly's comments?

It's Grogan and Dove. If you're gonna name names of people killed in the line of duty to try and make a political point, you damn well better get their #ing names right.

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

I was sad to see Gen. Kelly drop himself down into the gutter like that after an apparently very honorable career. As for Huckabee Sanders, she's usually good for a laugh, but little else. Certainly not anything related to objective reality.

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 04:41 PM
link   
The black whorehouse madam dressup Congress fail woman and her rhinestones just cannot polish the turd that is the Fake News.

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 04:41 PM
link   
hey, she's a black woman, wears funny hats, and is a democrat...perfect punching bag for the alt-right

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx
hey, she's a black woman, wears funny hats, and is a democrat...perfect punching bag for the alt-right

Oh come on, you can just see the hatred for America exuding from her face whenever a camera is pointed at it.

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Appropriate considering the low information set has this to say about her:

black whorehouse madam dressup Congress fail woman and her rhinestones

... when pretending to care about truth while screeching "fake news."

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Yea well, you know how it goes.

Can't debate the point, better make fun of her hat. Gotta deflect somehow.

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

Appropriate considering the low information set has this to say about her:

black whorehouse madam dressup Congress fail woman and her rhinestones

... when pretending to care about truth while screeching "fake news."

That's what America sees everytime the Left drags her out in front of the cameras. If they keep it up Trump will get even more popular. Them hate America First Lefties are Trump's bread and butter, Americans feel united in hating the ones who hate them.

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Just so we're clear, he was wrong about remembering being stunned at her comments that day?

I can see getting some details about the day wrong but you don't forget sinking feelings easily.
And you can't disprove he didn't feel stunned at her speech.

Sorry.

edit on 21-10-2017 by Tempter because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-10-2017 by Tempter because: Sp

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

you can just see the hatred for America exuding from her face

What exactly does that look like?

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tempter
Just so we're clear, he was wrong about remembering being stunned at her comments that day?

I can see getting some details about the day wrong but you don't forget sinking feelings easily.
And you can't disprove he didn't feel stunned at her speech.

Sorry.

If anything he was stunned that a Congressperson could hate America so much. But then he probably seen her face and the rhinestones and it made sense.

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

Her face as she spews hatred for America, take a look sometime, it is what America sees.

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   

My, my. Kelly was wrong. Spinning a Presidential
call for a lost son for a political agenda?

Not even a single line or comment of acknowledgement. This completely removes any credibility of your thread. You completely omitted the fact of Kelly's loss, his sincerity-no matter the source of the information's accuracy- and the obvious and irrefutable fact of the Congresswoman's political use of that call.

That is my issue with it and with those that support or justify it.

You cannot envision the contempt you invoke.

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

What really irks me about it, aside from the fact that parts of it were clearly untrue, was that there was no mention of the family of Sgt. La David Johnson, his family or whether or not his widow took the comments of the President as insensitive.

If any of this is truly important to discuss at all, shouldn't the perception of the widow be important? He attacked Rep. Wilson much as Trump had but it appears that Wilson was accurate about the words that were spoke (despite being called a liar by the President) and if that's how Myeshia Johnson felt, then Wilson wasn't wrong about stating that fact either.

That's not to say that there wasn't a miscommunication. I don't believe that Trump had any intention of being insensitive but what people seem to forget is that it's possible that Trump didn't intend to be insensitive and ALSO that his comments were perceived that way anyway.

Somehow what became important was how Gen. Kelly felt about the phone call, not the widow. How does that make sense?

If Kelly wanted to explain the situation, it should not have been 12 minutes of him excoriating Wilson on false pretenses and placing his opinions as a gold star parent over that of the widow of Sgt. Johnson — the call wasn't to him.

He could have just come out and said that he'd advised the President on what to say and there was an unfortunate misunderstanding.

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   

David A. Clarke, Jr.

@SheriffClarke
.@.@realDonaldTrump
Trump calling Frederica Wilson “whacky” is putting it mildly. The woman is a buffoon. Look at her.

All hat no cattle!

Whacky Applebee's waiter!

Just plain buffoon!

edit on 21-10-2017 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   
If you think about it, here are two very powerful white males, going after a lone black female, and are reduced to calumnies to make themselves look better than her. WTH.

It honestly is so warped and disturbing.

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

Not even a single line or comment of acknowledgement. This completely removes any credibility of your thread. You completely omitted the fact of Kelly's loss

No, I didn't:

As much as I respect the service of Gen. Kelly and his sons, the sacrifice of his son who fell in combat and his family and as much as I appreciate the positive effect he's seemed to have on the White House, the reality is that he smeared Rep. Wilson with a false account.

But nice attempt at attacking me instead of addressing the topic.

You cannot envision the contempt you invoke.

Cool story. You think you feel contempt for me for telling the truth? Lol. Let me tell where you can stick your political correctness. I'm sure that will really get your hate juices flowing.

edit on 2017-10-21 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP

originally posted by: Liquesence

Her face as she spews hatred for America, take a look sometime, it is what America sees.

So, her face is an "I hate America" face ?

Please explain.

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

David A. Clarke, Jr.

@SheriffClarke
.@.@realDonaldTrump
Trump calling Frederica Wilson “whacky” is putting it mildly. The woman is a buffoon. Look at her.

All hat no cattle!

Whacky Applebee's waiter!

Just plain buffoon!

True blue America loving citizen there.
I made an avatar out of that shirt image, but the mods banned it.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join