It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heater blows cold air at idle but works great above 25 MPH

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: seattlerat
Thanks to all of you for the replies so far- I have some things to try and will get back with what (hopefully) worked!

To answer some of the questions:

* No water on the floor near heater core location
* Thermostat was NOT replaced and engine temperature is normal (gauge shows exactly the same as it always has just below halfway)
* I did try to bring rpm up while in park and it didn't seem to make a difference, I'll try this again today

I hope it doesn't have anything to do with water-pump. I've changed a thermostat before so I could try that if adding coolant and parking on hill technique doesn't solve the problem.

You guys are great!

Thermostat stuck in the open position

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   
when my cars always did that most of the time i was low on antifreeze might just be that simple
edit on 03 08 2017 by TimHeller because: correction

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Thanks again for all of the suggestions!

I did everything I could to resolve this issue but I was unable to solve it and just lived with no heat at idle.

Then, about 10 days ago, after sitting at idle for 40 minutes talking on the damn phone, I looked up and noticed that the temperature gauge was beyond pegged! ARGH!!!!

So, I let it cool off, checked fluids (they were OK), and drove it about a mile to a local repair shop.

I received a call a short while later, "We have news, but you're not gonna like it- you have a blown head-gasket and for the low-low price of $2500 you can have heat again."

I'm not made of money, actually, I'm mostly water, but the car is in otherwise near perfect condition and I couldn't find anything better to replace it for $2500. So, I opted for surgery. The mechanic informed me that I could save some money by not replacing timing-belt, but I opted for the full menu.

Head gasket, timing belt, thermostat, spark-plugs, water pump, oil/filter, head re-surfacing, valve height adjustment, coolant, misc. shop supplies: $2304.

The car runs great, and now I have heat at idle!!! Unfortunately, I'm pretty much broke, so time for me to stop being lazy and earn some cheese.

ETA: I considered doing the work myself, however, even if I had my own garage and all of the required tools/equipment, I probably would not have tackled an automotive repair as extensive as this. I looked online at some DIY head-gasket replacements for 2005 Honda Civics, and it did not look like it would be much fun. I value the skin on my knuckles!

edit on 1232018 by seattlerat because: (no reason given)

<< 1   >>

join