It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indiana commissioner cites Bible verse while voting to end lifesaving needle exchange program

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: Southern Guardian

I think therefor I am not a conservative repub.

Edit: Next step is to HELP people get off these addictive drugs instead of imprisoning them.

that statement has lost you a lot of hard earned respect in my book.

I don't consider myself conservative or republican, either.

sad day.

I do not understand

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 07:43 PM
link   

This is what happens when people let someone else, in this case some ancient people who wrote a book, to do their thinking for them.

Why bother coming up with a logical and reasonable plan for something when you can just go to a book and use that for your thinking?? You don't even have to defend what the plan is even. God said it so you don't have to argue any justification for it yourself.

Yes, this is what's wrong with Religious Fundamentalism. It allows people to make decisions without giving them any thought to whether or not they're right.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat

Yup what's the social cost of drunk drivers... come being me wine.

When a clean or dirty needle kills a family on their way home from playing hop scotch then we can talk.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   

No, that would be giving them Heroin. That's not what's happening. We're giving them clean needles. Which would be like giving drunks a ride home from the bar.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

This is what happens when people let someone else, in this case some ancient people who wrote a book, to do their thinking for them.

Why bother coming up with a logical and reasonable plan for something when you can just go to a book and use that for your thinking?? You don't even have to defend what the plan is even. God said it so you don't have to argue any justification for it yourself.

Yes, this is what's wrong with Religious Fundamentalism. It allows people to make decisions without giving them any thought to whether or not they're right.

I believe in that book. And that guy is a dick using it to further his own prejudice.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 07:46 PM
link   

No, that would be giving them Heroin. That's not what's happening. We're giving them clean needles. Which would be like giving drunks a ride home from the bar.

Ok come pick me up and take me to the store I'll buy it my self.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Giving you a cup would be a appropriate comparison, not driving you around.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I stopped reading when I saw Raw Story in bold.

Knew right away it was a vitriolic anti-religion hit piece.

Yawn. You hate God and everyone who believes in Him. We get it. We really do.

Move on with your life.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

And that's fine when it's used to expand your thinking in various ways. Not when it's just used to justify some idea without thinking about it.

I have no problem when someone gains some insight from the bible or religion which expands their mind and gets them thinking in ways they may not have thought of on their own.

People find words or wisdom or stories that open them up to seeing things in a different light. That's good. When you read them and take from them something that you then test for validity and truth.

But some people don't do that. They just pull a passage and interpret it to mean a specific thing whether it does or not, they give it no second thoughts or test to see if it's logical or reasonable and simply use it like it's some universal truth beyond all question to suit some agenda they're pushing.

That's not cool.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 08:03 PM
link   

No that would be enabling as well.

But if you're sh*t faced out in public and your being a menace and about to drive wasted and might kill someone or yourself. Ya, I'd come pick you up or find a way for you to get somewhere and sober up rather than hurt innocent people.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Giving you a cup would be a appropriate comparison, not driving you around.

No, that is not correct. You want to give these people free needles because you want to save society from the detrimental effects of using used needles.

Giving me a cup does not save society from the detrimental effects of drunk driving.

I get it. You have your pet projects. It makes your feel better providing these people the means to partake in their vice in a safe manner. On the other hand you don't approve of my vice and you don't want to enable it. At least be honest about it.
edit on 20-10-2017 by DanDanDat because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Heroine users can rot for all I care. My best friend died of a her ion overdose three years ago.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 08:06 PM
link   

No that would be enabling as well.

But if you're sh*t faced out in public and your being a menace and about to drive wasted and might kill someone or yourself. Ya, I'd come pick you up or find a way for you to get somewhere and sober up rather than hurt innocent people.

Im # faced about to get in my car to get more wine, when will you be here to pick me up?

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Damn it, this is one of the reasons we had an HIV outbreak because Pence wouldnt sign off on a state program. Now this county is stopping because the bible says so?!

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   

“If I shut up heaven that there be no rain, or if I command the locusts to devour the land, or if I send pestilence among my people; if my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.”

well, gee, why does so much tax money go into things like research for cancer cures, programs to prevent an over abundance of crop and tree killing pests, or anything else?? if it's god that sends us all these for a reason, and anything we do to counteract them is just going contrary to his will, right???

guess he couldn't find a better scripture to justify his position???

you are fee to believe whatever you want, but if you're an elected official I would hope that when it came to debate on congressional floors, either state or federal, you would have enough brain power between your ears to come up with a reasonable argument instead of just pulling up some bible verse that you seem to think somehow relates to what is being debated and go with the "God says" bit!!! especially since I don't believe it's constitutional to rule by "God says" in the United States!
edit on 20-10-2017 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Yes engage brain before use is a good suggestion.

And using it to cast people to Hell is not the intention of the book as far as I can tell. It is about salvation even though we are deeply flawed.

Sermon over.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Right a clean cup.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 08:15 PM
link   

You can call a service for that. You can have just about anything delivered to your house now.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Someone explain to me how enabling drug use is 'life saving'.

Please by all means.

It's not enabling drug use. There aren't casual IV drug users. Drug addicts are going to use regardless. Sharing needles spreads disease.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Tempter

And to a point I agree.

This is a purely a financial decision that I agree with because as a society we have agreed to patch these sick souls up after they get all sorts of illnesses from dirty needles. Clean needles save money.

Are you for not treating sick people that are drug addicts? If so that would be an even better financial savings, but the social costs could be more than we are willing to pay.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join