It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indiana commissioner cites Bible verse while voting to end lifesaving needle exchange program

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 07:00 PM
link   
We'll run around like headless chickens about sharia law and muslims, meanwhile we'll make exceptions for homegrown religious nuts who use the bible over logic and reason instead - and endanger lives in tbe process.

You see I wouldn't have an issue if this commissioner came up with a well reasoned or logical response to defend his decision to end the programme (economics, success rate etc.) but the bible? Is this even constitutional?

commissioner in Lawrence County, Indiana this week voted to discontinue the county’s needle exchange, citing the Bible in his decision to end a program that drastically reduces the probability drug users will contract blood-borne viruses like HIV.

As NBC News reports, Rodney Fish, one of the council members, called his vote against needle exchanges “a moral issue.”

“It was a moral issue with me. I had severe reservations that were going to keep me from approving that motion,” Fish said.

www.rawstory.com...

before casting his vote, Fish quoted from the Bible, saying, “If I shut up heaven that there be no rain, or if I command the locusts to devour the land, or if I send pestilence among my people; if my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.”

www.rawstory.com...

And we wonder why confidence in organized religion is at an all time low? Less people in church, less faith. It's pure nuttery from people like this and their actions that make us question. The needle exchange programme itself has been largely successful in keeping 1000's safe from contracting disease. People like this individual here should be no where near their positions in power. No logic, only a hindrance to progress.

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Someone explain to me how enabling drug use is 'life saving'.

Please by all means.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I believe that needle exchange is important and still be in effect wherever it is. I always think people who think taking drugs away from drug addicts and popping them in jail have never known a drug addict.

I definitely believe that all nations on this planet should follow Portugals lead in that area.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

This guy would rather spend BIG $$$ treating the various diseases that are caused by dirty needles.

He is a an illogical buffoon.

And he picks odd Bible verses to make himself feel superior.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 07:16 PM
link   
we have one of those programs in Portland Maine.

they steal my hard earned money via tax, then pay college kids to go around town handing out free needles and other drug paraphernalia, collecting the old tainted equipment to expensively dispose of it.

nice that they pick up the dirty needles, less nice that they steal my Monday to provide those needles, saving the druggies money so they can afford more drugs.

from what I've heard, half the kids being paid to distribute equipment are also selling the drugs. everyone could use a spare buck- but stop taking it out of my pocket.

I'm not a bible thumper- but you don't need to be one to see the stupidity of these programs.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Please by all means.

Many people that are addicted to heroin will use no matter what. They will share needles. THey also have lives, which means they have sex with other people. When they share needles their likelihood of being infected by a disease is increased tremendously. As that happens more people, the people that don't do drugs also have their chances increased.

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Neo.

Drug users tend to have a habit of re-using needles to feed their habit. Do you know what risks you run when you re-use needles? Especially if they've been used by others? You the run the risk of contracting disease. I personally know some of these people. The purpose of the programme is NOT to further drug abuse. It's a method in ensuring those, who will inevitability get a hold of these drugs, to have a supply of clean needles, syringes, so that we can limit their risk of contracting disease.

People, Neo, like it or not, will make choices in life that you may not agree with. Do you know the word choice? It works hand in hand with freedom and responsibility, something individuals like yourself constantly yap about being stripped of by liberals. We can try and curb drug use through education, through counselling, support, but like it or not, there will ineviably be a large portion of users who will fall right back. The least we can do, as caring people, is limit their risk of falling ill.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Please by all means.

F--- drug use. If you want to use drugs, by all means use them, make your self happy. Why should the rest of society help you partake in your vice?

Im all out of wine at the moment, I'll be happy if you come give me some for free. It'll stop me from going out driving to the liquer store where I might crash my car in my current state. Win win for me and society.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat

The reason to give clean needles out is so the $10,000's of thousands of dollars the tax payers pay to medical interventions because of dirty needles can be avoided.

So either we pay a couple of bucks for clean needles or untold dollars for FREE treatment from dirty needles for drug addicts.

What one sounds better, and no there is not another choice.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 07:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
we have one of those programs in Portland Maine.

they steal my hard earned money via tax, then pay college kids to go around town handing out free needles and other drug paraphernalia, collecting the old tainted equipment to expensively dispose of it.

nice that they pick up the dirty needles, less nice that they steal my Monday to provide those needles, saving the druggies money so they can afford more drugs.

from what I've heard, half the kids being paid to distribute equipment are also selling the drugs. everyone could use a spare buck- but stop taking it out of my pocket.

I'm not a bible thumper- but you don't need to be one to see the stupidity of these programs.

That's a good personal perspective on this issue lordcomac, but you're forgetting the core point of the OP. Instead of arguing a well reasoned point or perspective, this commissioner decides to use the bible. That is the main crux of the the OP, using religion to stop a program aimed at helping individuals (whether you agree with it or not). Using religion as your power as a public official. That to me is disturbing.

As for your tax payer being used on these drug addicts. Like it or not, your tax payer money will be used on these individuals either way. If they fall ill and end up seeking medical help, and then end up unable to afford it, you're not getting your tax money back. Can't avoid it either way. So you have to address it in alternative ways to limit cost.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

The reason to give clean needles out is so the $10,000's of thousands of dollars the tax payers pay to medical interventions because of dirty needles can be avoided.

So either we pay a couple of bucks for clean needles or untold dollars for FREE treatment from dirty needles for drug addicts.

Seasonal my goodness, am I agreeing with you? I'm agreeing with you?? I'm starring your post??

What is going on, somebody hold my hand, the world is ending.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 07:34 PM
link   

I think therefor I am not a conservative repub.

Edit: Next step is to HELP people get off these addictive drugs instead of imprisoning them.

edit on 20-10-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Please by all means.

It's not enabling them use drugs. Clearly they aren't having any trouble in finding ways to use drugs. This is just making sure when they do it's not going to increase the spread of disease from using dirty needles. Which then lowers the cost of other problems from them getting sick and causing an epidemic.

Also it allows a point of contact for them if they are looking for treatment or if they need help. It makes for a possible connection for them to enter society again if they choose to take it.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 07:38 PM
link   
My pharmacy gives out clean needles as well. I do not look at it as enabling, but looking out the beat we can for the public health for everyone.

We also dispense narcan

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: annoyedpharmacist
My pharmacy gives out clean needles as well. I do not look at it as enabling, but looking out the best we can for the public health for everyone.

We also dispense narcan

link   

I think therefor I am not a conservative repub.

Edit: Next step is to HELP people get off these addictive drugs instead of imprisoning them.

that statement has lost you a lot of hard earned respect in my book.

I don't consider myself conservative or republican, either.

sad day.

link   
My bad....triple post
edit on pm1010201717America/Chicago20p07pm by annoyedpharmacist because: (no reason given)

link   
My pharmacy gives out clean needles as well. I do not look at it as enabling, but looking out the best we can for the public health for everyone.

We also dispense narcan

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Ugh....sorry
edit on pm1010201717America/Chicago20p07pm by annoyedpharmacist because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Yup what's the social cost of drunk drivers... come being me wine.

Edited ... free wine

edit on 20-10-2017 by DanDanDat because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join