It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IAF wants out of FGFA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 12:27 PM
link   
According to a recent article, the Indian Air Force has gone to the Ministry of Defense and demanded that they end the FGFA program. India had planned on buying 108 Su-57s, but the program has run into multiple problems and cost overruns in recent years.

According to the article the IAF has raised concerns about the RCS, technical capabilities, and the ability of the units operating them to perform maintenance on parts of the aircraft. Unlike the F-35, FGFA will use non-modular engines, requiring them to be serviced by the OEM, instead of by the IAF. The RCS will apparently require a major structural change to meet their requirements.

www.defensenews.com...

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

But the Russian aircraft can fly to the moon and shoot down satellites with death rays....

Seriously though, I think this plane has flaws, but I think whatever comes after it, will be a decent comparison to the F-22, albeit 25 years or more later.

I don't blame India on this walk out at all. Also maybe seeing how well the few American craft they already fulfill their mission and so on they may be moving toward American products.

I still don't trust their government to be on the level though.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Damn, and I thought that Russian aircraft were supposed to be perfect.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

Anything to a Israel F35 being taken out by a bird ? ...

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Any aircraft can be taken out by a bird. It doesn't matter who builds it or how well it's designed.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Any aircraft can be taken out by a bird. It doesn't matter who builds it or how well it's designed.
No doubt .

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Cactus 1549.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1

Anything to a Israel F35 being taken out by a bird ? ...

Comrade, no mighty Russian aircraft ever taken out by mere bird. This is nonsense. All Russian aircraft built to contend with bird attack by magnetic pulse that provides 100 percent stealth as well as upsetting stupid bird mind so much that it fall from sky several hundred to thousand feet in advance. Even if ostrich could fly and somehow penetrate magnetic pulse, our mighty and superior engines would spit out plate of KFC (Khazak Fried Chicken) on other side.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Fools

LOL

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   

I'll top that with an F-16 being taken out with a pig. I witnessed the incident. The article is wrong on one point, the plane wasn't destroyed.

articles.latimes.com...

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 06:31 PM
link   

An Israeli Air Force F-35I “Adir” (Mighty) was involved in a bird strike incident during a training sortie two weeks ago, the Israeli Defense Forces said on Oct. 16. The pilot managed to land the plane safely back at Nevatim Air Force Base in the Negev Desert and no casualties were reported. This is the first incident to an F-35 in IAF service since the first two aircraft have been taken on charge by the 140 “Golden Eagle” squadron in December last year. The IDF confirmed those details to Israeli media outlets: “During a training sortie two hits were found on the plane, following to a collision with a bird. After an evaluation and assessment of the damage conducted together with the manufacturer – Lockheed Martin, the plane was sent to a normal maintenance and repair. It will return to full service in the next few days.” Read more at theaviationist.com...
theaviationist.com... Out of commission for over 2 weeks ...sounds serious

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Any time the RAM is involved, you're looking at at least a week to 10 days depending on the amount of damage. Unlike regular composite, or aluminum skins, you can't just cut a section out, and slap a new piece into place. The RAM is critical to the stealthiness of the aircraft, so it requires pretty precise replacement, and testing afterwards.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 07:35 PM
link   

I am sure you have read a few tails surrounding the IAF F-35 story . So is the 35 stealthiness a issue ? The story can work both ways but it left me wondering . Just how do the do the bird testing anyway ?

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   

It is after repairs, as it is with any stealth aircraft. The F-35 is easier to repair in the field, but the Israeli Air Force doesn't have any experience with it, so they're still learning. Lockheed is using this as a teaching experience for them, and helping them get experience with repairing the skin in the field.

docdro.id...

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I can imagine its a tough spot. This is not something you can put some duct tape on and generate another sortie. the tolerances have to be spot on or it will lose its stealth.

My question is how do they field test RCS? Or do they follow the manual and trust its going to be okay?

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 10:43 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

Fly it against their own radars. They put the aircraft into a clean configuration, and see what kind of return they get from it after the repairs.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Apparently an F-35B has hit a deer when landing before as well. Damage was minimal. And it's not the first time the F-35 has flown into a bird. I know the meme is that the F-35 is a fragile jet, but it's really not true.

Also the canopy bow on the F-35 is for bird-strike protection apparently at the request of the RAF, probably so this doesn't happen:

(note that the HUD was destroyed and send glass shards flying)

A great idea would be a deal to simply prevent Indian participation in FGFA.
edit on 20/10/17 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

edit on 21/10/17 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 05:56 AM
link   
I think the F35 haters will just jump on anything to try and prove how ‘rubbish’ it is...all A/C have bird strikes in their lifetime no matter how good..or bad...they are supposed to be. ! I am speaking from having nearly 40 years experience in military fast jet maintenance and have been involved in many a bird remains removal and A/C rebuild. a reply to: C0bzz

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 08:42 AM
link   
The sceptical side of me says. Smart move Russia using Indian money. Tech and investment for the T50.

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: blackbird9393

That's what they did. The Su-57 was in no small part funded by India. The Russians might be in trouble funding its completion without Indian funding.

new topics

top topics

join