It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our Flag, Anthem Mean Nothing Without Allegiance to the Constitution

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I just finished reading an article from a local news station in Oklahoma that reports the Stuart Public School District issued the following statement on October 18, 2017:

Stuart Public School respects the right of students and spectators to have their political and social beliefs, certainly, and to express those beliefs at appropriate times. With that in mind, all students, student-athletes and spectators are expected to stand during the playing of the National Anthem at all school events, sporting or non-sporting, without any gestures of demonstration or protest.

Any student violation of the policy concerning the national anthem would be handled on a case-by-case basis, taking into account context and circumstances. Discipline would be measured out according to the severity of the event, taking into consideration the Religion, age, physical and mental state of individuals and any other limiting factor patrons, students and parents of Stuart Public School may have.

Nothing in this policy is intended to make anyone go against their religious, political or social beliefs. Rather, Stuart Public School respectfully asks that the student, parent, or patron stand in respect of those who have given their life for our country.

Stuart Public School does not prohibit protest on non-instructional time, in general, but mandates that there is an appropriate time and place for students to voice their support of or opposition to national issues.

This is a flagrant violation of 1st Amendment. Even private entities cannot force you to engage in political activity/speech without consequences (wrongful termination for example). We aren't dealing with a private entity here though.

The 1st Amendment, the entire Constitution, is specifically written to restrain the government from violating Americans liberty. The government cannot punish nor persecute persons for exercising their liberty nor can it apply its' laws to different groups of people differently. The latter being the cause of our current cause of civil unrest in the form of kneeling during our anthem.

Patriotism is subjective, up to individual interpretation in the same as art or music and popular opinion on the subject is and always has been divided along ideological lines, something the Constitution with its' heart (I believe) strives to overcome. You may believe that every war or conflict we have ever fought has been to protect our freedom and therefor supporting the military is unquestionably patriotic and if you don't salute that flag and sing that song on your feet you're betraying America. I admire the passion, I'm passionate about America too just in a different way.

To give an equal comparison, I believe that most of our wars have not been to protect my freedom. I still support the military but I let my government know, as best as I can, that I think they are misusing the military, our money and most importantly the women and men that are the best in the entire world and the most qualified Americans to save my ass should my freedom ever actually come under threat. Their lives, their bodies and minds needlessly sacrificed.

My last protest (IIRC) was in front of John Kerry's house, against boots on the ground in Syria. Does that make me unpatriotic? If we had knelt during the anthem instead, burned a flag? It shouldn't matter. What matters is that no one can tell another you can't kneel and no one can tell another you have to kneel. I hope whoever reads this realizes that you can't let it matter and neither can I. To me this is being patriotic, doing my best to keep the government restrained in its' actions and how we spend our money and morals.

The second you let it matter, you betray the Constitution.
edit on 10/20/2017 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

My last protest (IIRC) was in front of John Kerry's house, against boots on the ground in Syria. Does that make me unpatriotic

Yep, John Kelly thinks it's unpatriotic to disagree with the government. He stated that the troops distain people that do! Shameful!
edit on 20-10-2017 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Patriotism is subjective

Like picking and choosing which parts of the Constitution apply to your certain situation while disregarding it most other times?

Like punching people who in your eyes are Nazi's without any proof?

Like labeling speech you don't like as hate speech and shutting down those peoples right to speak?

Carry on Comrade!

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Sad!

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 12:22 PM
link   

When did he say that?

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

Patriotism is subjective

Like picking and choosing which parts of the Constitution apply to your certain situation while disregarding it most other times?

Like labeling speech you don't like as hate speech and shutting down those peoples right to speak?

Carry on Comrade!

What nonsense are you spouting? I think you're confusing me with someone else.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

originally posted by: seeker1963

Patriotism is subjective

Carry on Comrade!

What nonsense are you spouting? I think you're confusing me with someone else.

I have seen you make excuses for your so called "peaceful protestors" So NO I do not have you confused for someone else!

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

When did he say that?

4 days after his son's death.

"Their struggle is your struggle," Kelly said, according to a video of his remarks.

"They disdain those who claim to support them but not the cause that takes their innocence, their limbs, and their lives. As a democracy … we must support them. I know it doesn't apply to anyone in this room today, but if anyone thinks you can somehow thank them for their service, and not support the cause for which they fight–our country–then these people are lying to themselves and rationalizing away something in their own lives, but, more importantly, they are slighting our warriors and mocking their commitment to this nation."

freebeacon.com...

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

The hell you have. I have condemned any violence from 'my side' and my love of the Constitution is pretty well documented here if you care to look through my post history. I won't indulge you by doing it for you. Now how about you address the actual issue I'm ranting about rather than try to attack me with your pathetic partisan rhetoric when this is something we shouldn't let our ideological instincts control.
edit on 10/20/2017 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Please. There isn't a single Amendment that hasn't been 'infringed on'. Try yelling 'fire' or 'bomb' in a theater. Or Allah Akbar on a plane. Then there's 'hate crime' laws for hateful comments, as well as acts.

Am I allowed a SAM System in my back yard? Nope. Yet it IS 'arms', per the second...

Apparently, infringement isn't frowned upon IF there is consensus on that 'infringment'. This particular infringement you refer to has been agreed upon for literally generations. The Pledge of Allegiance falls into the same category
, saluting the flag, if one is in the military, there more examples.

Yes, your point is valid, if the Constitution is taken literally. "It is expected" is not an infringement. It is a warning, a caution.

One that one would be well advised to heed....lest others take matters in their own hands.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Yea, and then he clarified that he was against indifference, not dissent.

Later, he clarified in an interview that he is opposed to indifference, not dissent. “I just think if you are against the war, you should somehow try to change it,” he said. “Fight to bring us home.”

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 12:40 PM
link   

I'm sitting this thread out.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

This school district is literally the government stating that it is going to punish children if they don't obey a rule that forces them to engage in political speech. That's a pretty huge deal.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Be more impactful if you took a knee. And raised a fist maybe. Two fists?

But then how would you drink? HOW DEDICATED ARE YOU?!?

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Government run organizations forcing children to stand and give worship to a symbol of state power.

What a wonderful time of freedom we live in.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
HOW DEDICATED ARE YOU?!?

To drinking? 100%.

I just had oral surgery and that idiot who did it told me, 'Don't drink this weekend', I was all like, 'Why the hell should I listen to you?!? You're a dentist, not a nutritionist!'.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Later, he clarified in an interview

LOL, Oh! So he backpeddled when challenged.

opposed to indifference, not dissent.

Well, that's not what he said in his speech, at all!

They disdain those who claim to support them but not the cause that takes their innocence, their limbs, and their lives.
but if anyone thinks you can somehow thank them for their service, and not support the cause for which they fight.....

Indifferent people don't claim support or non support. He's definitely talking about dissent here, people who do not support the "cause", not indifference.
edit on 20-10-2017 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: nwtrucker

This school district is literally the government stating that it is going to punish children if they don't obey a rule that forces them to engage in political speech. That's a pretty huge deal.

Where I part ways is respect for the nation isn't political. It transcends mere politics. Nation. The glue that binds political differences.

Yes, it's been pushed into a political arena. I would return it to non-political. We shall see who wins.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   

LOL, Oh! So he backpeddled when challenged.

If that's what you and your ladyboner for all things Trump need to tell yourselves to feel victorious, sure. That quote came from a WaPo article, who while perhaps not quite as big into hating any and every thing to do with Trump as you are, certainly isn't a friend to Trump or his camp.

Indifferent people don't claim support or non support. He's definitely talking about dissent here, people who do not support the "cause", not indifference.

Yea yet again you resort to accepting some words that somebody says but then dismissing other words that they say. A tried and true tactic of yours. I'll go with the entirety of what he said, not your cherry picked version that's based off some deep-rooted need to bash anything you can.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join