It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Tweets Out Fake News about UK Crime Figures to Suit His Agenda , So Sad

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 11:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Eshel

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: Eshel

No one blamed all crime on terrorists.

I believe when the rise in crime was reworded as Islamic terrorism he inferred they were one and the same. Not saying you did, just saying they are not interchangeable.

Rise in terrorism equals rise in crime.
Rise in crime does not equal rise in terrorism.

Oh...kind of like "amid" equals neither "directly linked to", nor "because of", nor "synonymous with"?

What Trump did was construe the verbiage to suit his agenda. 

Oh. Kind of like how some people ascribe an imaginary implied meaning to his verbiage to suit their own?

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 05:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: EvillerBob

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
a reply to: EvillerBob

Don't even bother doing your research eh?

Trump said it so it must be true.

The increase in violent crime figures is driven largely by two things

As such trump saying the crime figures are going up and trying to claim it’s a result of terrorism is wrong

Did you actually read anything that I posted?

Trump identified two things happening. There is a rise in crime - as you yourself say. There is a rise in terrorist-related incidents.

What you're putting forward is a reply to something that he didn't actually say. He didn't say that the rise in crime is caused by terrorist-related incidents.

Although, if you want to be pedantic, the crime figures would actually be lower if those terrorist acts didn't happen, because those acts involve crimes that are then... included in the crime figures, thereby increasing them. So Trump would be right anyway, if he was making the suggestion that you claim.

The issue isn't actually whether he's right or wrong, it's whether you want him to be right or wrong.

Don't be so utterly ridiculous. You know as well as the rest of us what he's saying.

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I can't see anything wrong with the phraseology either. I just saw him pointing out 2 key concerns, that being crime and the other being terrorism. His facts however are somewhat skewed. But so are statistics in general.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 04:08 AM
link   
It does look like they were playing with the numbers on the report. Why would they leave out homicides caused by a terrorist attack? And people here are claiming gang violence is the increase so did these gangs decide to start raping women? Sexual offences increased 19 percent is this a new gang thing or the people that make up the gangs just hate women? There appears to be a change no one is addressing,that being said is it caused by Islam dont know,and could it well dont know. But what i do know is the statistics are suspect because you have to wonder what else the ONS decided to exclude.

Now for Trump it was irresponsible to make this leap without further evidence, he implied a connection that cant be proved. Or at least it seems that way but hes never been subtle on his opinions. But he does as president need to avoid statements that cant be proved. He would have accomplished the same results without seeming to link islam.

www.theguardian.com...

The ONS figures, released yesterday, showed a 13 per cent annual increase in crime across England and Wales. However, the spike was mostly due to increasing levels of both knife and sex crimes: the figures showed a 26 per cent increase in the number of incidents involving weapons, and a 19 per cent rise in the number of sexual offences.

The ONS has said the 19 per cent rise in violent crime is due to a “range of factors”, including to changes in the way the police record such incidents, as well as genuine increases.

However, it also said the 35 victims of the Manchester and London terror attacks have been excluded from the official homicide count (which, admittedly, has risen eight per cent).

Meanwhile, in the US, some 17,250 people, or 0.005 per cent of the population, were murdered last year, according to data from the FBI, compared with 697 in the UK, or 0.001 per cent of the population.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 04:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: tigertatzen

originally posted by: Eshel

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: Eshel

No one blamed all crime on terrorists.

I believe when the rise in crime was reworded as Islamic terrorism he inferred they were one and the same. Not saying you did, just saying they are not interchangeable.

Rise in terrorism equals rise in crime.
Rise in crime does not equal rise in terrorism.

Oh...kind of like "amid" equals neither "directly linked to", nor "because of", nor "synonymous with"?

What Trump did was construe the verbiage to suit his agenda. 

Oh. Kind of like how some people ascribe an imaginary implied meaning to his verbiage to suit their own?

How is it imaginary when Trump brought it up? Plus amid means 'as a result of' so it's ridiculous to try and claim he's not distorting and fabricating a claim that a rise in Muslims is to blame for this given his attempts at a Muslim ban. Especially given his track record of falsehoods used to demonise sections of society.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 05:27 AM
link   
The police force is understaffed, underfunded and underpaid, the tories ongoing austerity is hurting and showing, that's the story.
The fact trump and his like tried to push the story in a fanciful direction of terrorists or blaming an entire religion is deluded, but that's 2017 for you.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 06:40 AM
link   
seriously how can so many of you be so disingenuous?
getting used to this on good ol' ats these days but seriously!

yes, technically the word 'amid' doesn't actually outright lay blame, in so many words
but there are a lot of other things that rise in crime happened amid - increased netflix subscriptions, for totally random example. terror was chosen very specifically, because two things in the same sentence get linked together in the mind of the reader. this is a well known effect typically taught to children in grade school english.
i... don't know how much simpler i can make this

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 06:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123

lol, in fact your OP makes no sense, "not due to terrorism but gang activity", remind me what terrorism is? and yes there is a significant muslim population, mainly islamic, who do you think these gangs are composed of? thanks Sadiq!!

Nope, the highest profile case was a white male who was a star of the TV show The only way is essex.
Nothing to do with Muslims.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: continuousThunder

Precisely, this is cherry picking and trying to attribute the rise to Muslim extremists despite the figures and cause of the rise not supporting Trump's claim. The rise is due to massive police cuts which have meant police are no longer investigating robberies and many common assaults which criminals are aware of and the effects of austerity and increased poverty have meant more people willing to commit crime.

It has nothing to do with Muslims, trying to defend Trump in this is plain stupidity and Islamaphobia. Hopefully he'll get a bollocking by the UK gov for such disingenuous pandering to the extreme right. Likewise the posters derfendng him should be called out for resorting to these nazi-eqsue pandoras box tactics which should have no place in a modern democracy.
edit on 23-10-2017 by bastion because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Trump and his people cry fake news because that is easier to do than to refute it with facts because we know the facts would not be on their side. With that said, it is funny that he cries fake news all the time but is one of the main sources of actual fake news.

A little humour to lighten the mood here on ATS. Not mine but thought it was funny because it is exactly how I view FAUX (FOX) news. LOL

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

And Obama told us the wage gap was real. What's your point?

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: swedy13

And Obama told us the wage gap was real. What's your point?

What's yours ?
My point is in the OP , perhaps you should read it.
edit on 23-10-2017 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 09:34 AM
link   

I did.

Your point was to point out a president misusing facts to push a political agenda.

My point is what's new.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: swedy13

I guess misusing an allies data to back up his anti Muslim agenda is new , sure we've had attacks by extremists but to try and combine crime data with extremism for no other reason than to say "we must keep America safe" is a bit off given the number of people killed and injured in Las Vegas , which in itself was an act of terror.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Touche. Not sure if it's happened before, but its new to me. I stand corrected, lol

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

Yes. Reported in the Independent

From mediamatters.org

Trum p tweet about UK crime and Muslims mirrors segment from conspiracy-mongering network OANN One America News Network has a history of shilling for Trump and pushing shameful Seth Rich conspiracy theories

President Donald Trump tweeted an erroneous claim that was nearly identical to an on-screen graphic that has repeatedly aired on the racist, conspiracy-mongering One America News Network (OANN) that falsely linked crime in the United Kingdom to “radical Islamic terror.”

Trump's tweet followed minutes later, at 6:31 a.m.

"Just out report: "United Kingdom crime rises 13% annually amid spread of Radical Islamic terror." Not good, we must keep America safe!
3:31 AM - 20 Oct 2017"

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 12:25 PM
link   
It's great the most important person in the country tweets out thoughtful studies of crime linked to terrorism after a deluge of fact-finding with experts, and double-checking his findings. /sarcasm

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 05:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: fleabit
It's great the most important person in the country tweets out thoughtful studies of crime linked to terrorism after a deluge of fact-finding with experts, and double-checking his findings. /sarcasm

I wonder if he's got dementia or is quite simply retarded?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join