It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Reapers over California MQ-9's helping to fight fires

page: 1
6

log in

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 10:21 PM
link   
The wildfires in California are taking its toll and the military having received FAA clearance is using the MQ-9 Reaper for the first time in a fire fighting application. The 163rd, a CA National Guard Unit, is flying the Reapers and using its SAR to help map the scope and spread of the countless fires that have broken out state wide.

In addition numerous air assets including a DC-10 and the 747 Tanker have been brought into play. Its pretty impressive to watch then 747 make a drop.......... Stay safe guys and gals

theaviationist.com... nia-wildfires/




posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 10:58 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

Tactical to Practical baby!

⭐&🚩

Off to ADS-B Exchange to watch



Edit: I'm aware of your location. So stay safe too for respiratory reasons.

edit on 19-10-2017 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)



posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Do a search on Peter Merlin Ikhana and the NASA fire spotting drone book should be in the list.



posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 06:04 AM
link   
a reply to: FredT


The wildfires in California are taking its toll and the military having received FAA clearance is using the MQ-9 Reaper for the first time in a fire fighting application.

Precedent set for 'wider' application.

The fire toll is only equaled by the retardant.

If they had kept up maintenance on power line infrastructure a little better, this might not have been so severe.

ETA:

Mercury News
edit on 20-10-2017 by intrptr because: link



posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 07:10 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

up in the adirondacks here i usually spend a few days with some family doing clearing and sutting, its pretty fun as i get to use a chainsaw like it was meant to be used and get some real camping in.


that red fire retardant looks toxic(i know it isnt) that red color is so evil looking



posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: penroc3


that red fire retardant looks toxic(i know it isnt) that red color is so evil looking

It is toxic. Its a retardant, retarding fire progress, buying time for fire flyers to arrive. It doesn't 'put fires out'.

Made of 85 percent water, the red is iron oxide to show where drops landed. The other 15 percent includes ammonium phosphate and that is toxic to people, fish and plants. They use the same thing in powder fire extinguishers, the cleanup process requires protective gear and disposal of the product in sealed bags.

There is a 'raging' debate about its widespread use and effectiveness. The water part is surely effective.

cleanup

Fox News




top topics
 
6

log in

join