It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rioting and violence never helps those seeking equality but only helps the authoritarians

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Authoritarians want to prevent or eliminate all forms of equality. Equality is the antithesis of authoritarianism.

authoritarianism: the enforcement or advocacy of strict obedience to authority at the expense of personal freedom. A lack of concern for the wishes or opinions of others.

Rioting and violence never helps those seeking equality. Rioting and violence always helps the authoritarian supremacists who want to prevent all forms of equality from ever happening.

Here's a really interesting article on the topic:

Authoritarianism is making a comeback. Here's the time-tested way to defeat it

"Unarmed civilians using petitions, boycotts, strikes, and other nonviolent methods have been able to slow, disrupt and even halt authoritarianism. "

"Authoritarian regimes often seek to provoke violence by opposition elements in order to justify repressive counter-measures. Nonviolent movements have invested in training, they have devised codes of conduct and designated marshals to enforce nonviolent discipline at protests."

So if non-violent protesting is the most effective, and violence helps the authoritarians cause, it does not take much imagination to think some of the violence is being instigated by the authoritarians and NOT those seeking equality.

I've protested the war in Iraq in 2004. And a group of DC police were extremely belligerent to the crowd trying to provoke the crowd to violence. I was there. I saw it right in front of me. A police car almost rolled up over my leg! It was THAT close to becoming a huge riot!

It's alright. This country loves authoritarianism. This country wants a military style right wing dictatorship. People love the military. People hate Congress and the Democrats. Dictatorship is bound to happen.

edit on 19-10-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

"Unarmed civilians using petitions, boycotts, strikes, and other nonviolent methods have been able to slow, disrupt and even halt authoritarianism. "

Non violent protest is key. MLK used to tell people that wanted to join the civil rights marches, 'If you can't take a police billy club to the head without fighting back, don't show up'.

Gandhi stressed this too.

Reacting violently to police oppression during marches or demonstrations is what they are counting on. In fact authorities try to get people to react to justify use of more force.

Resist, demonstrate, protest and march, peacefully, regardless of the consequences.

MLK was killed in Memphis where he was organizing a garbage workers Union strike.

The film Ghandi showed passive resistance in front of their own saltworks.

Understanding these methods and why these particular tactics were employed in those times and places isn't that easy these days. People are mostly ignorant to it.

edit on 19-10-2017 by intrptr because: additional

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Authoritarians want to prevent or eliminate all forms of equality

Guess which party doesn't believe in equality??

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328

The one that makes excuses for violent protestors like Antifa and those who believe they can shut down speech they don't like??????

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 08:19 PM
link   
This is why mlk got hit by the gubment. Can't have people peacefully protesting because that leaves them without a reason to storm in and break it up. For more info about the mlk conspiracy check here:
www.thekingcenter.org...

Kind of funny that there is 1,000 times more info out there about the jfk conspiracy, but systematic racism doesn't exist right ATS?
edit on 19-10-2017 by BloodStainedGlass because: becuase

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Oh please, you right wingers are nut cases. The Republicans are just as bad as the Democrats. If you think otherwise you are purely delusional. Both parties have EXACTLY the same policies. It doesn't matter who is president. Lobbyists owned by the CEOs define domestic policy. The Council of Foreign Relations (CFR) defines foreign policy. Trumps foreign policy is exactly the same as Obama's which was exactly the same as Bush. Domestic policy is the same. The domestic policy is laws are written by lobbyists.

The swamp is not going to be emptied. Trump is going to do absolutely NOTHING to change the status quo. The result would have been exactly the same if Hillary got elected.

So please don't advocate one party is better than the other. My hope is we can move beyond partisanship. And most importantly stick to political ideas and not labels.

edit on 19-10-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

The one that makes excuses for violent protestors like Antifa and those who believe they can shut down speech they don't like??????

Even when people on the left are condemning violence you authoritarians still claim you are "right" by bringing up violence by Antifa. I get it. When people on the left are condemning violence it doesn't fit in with your narrative you want so desperately to believe.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Both parties have shown a strong inclination towards authoritarianism, since neither party has done anything to scale back the power grab over the last 20 years so the my political party is better than your party is really moot when you look at this aspect.

To the OP, you are right non-violent has to be the rout, otherwise the people lose and THTB continue to destroy our rights and steal the worlds wealth.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 08:38 PM
link   

That did help with the Selma boycott though. But black folks have been using nonviolent methods since the Union came back together, they got zero progress until black folks starting getting rowdy.

Ghandi learned that non violence didn't get him anywhere...
edit on 19-10-2017 by cenpuppie because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-10-2017 by cenpuppie because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Hate and violence always, always only breeds more of the same. I agree with the premise of your OP.

The 'peace revolution' of the 1960's was doomed the very moment people started fighting for it.

I think it isn't a party, side or political philosophy that is to blame, rather, it's a MECHANISM that is at fault. At the mechanism is way too often force or violence. It should be plainly clear just to take the example of Antifa( at least the way they are either portrayed by the media or actually portray themselves): They have very effectively replaced the KKK as the intolerant, bigoted and violent group of influence these days---right down to masks and symbols.

Non-violence really is the only way forward, as King demonstrated.

Unfortunately, human beings in movements/groups don't really seem geared for non-violence.

Which is a damned shame.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 08:50 PM
link   
This is of the utmost importance! If you do not flag this post then you just don't get it. This should be at the top of the home page. This isn't a partisan shun, this is the absolute truth people. This is a true conspiracy the likes of which people make lengthy posts longing for, this IS the old ATS. This is a real conspiracy that involves all government, but especially the unofficial fourth branch also known as the media. The media pushes civil unrest and division for this exact reason. Powers that shouldn't be want and expect violence because it empowers them and gives them every reason to push back! Time to wake up.
edit on 19-10-2017 by BloodStainedGlass because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Gandhi and King were the wisest of men.

This new breed of violent protester are just thugs looking for an excuse.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 09:19 PM
link   
The US government likes to use Decap.
When things get bad, the public also resorts to the same

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 09:27 PM
link   
In the end it's all going to be like Cairo Illinois.

If you have some time just Google what happened in that little town south of me. Now it is a complete wasteland and I will never wonder back into that hell hole again.

It seems we as a species do not learn from our past at all.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Yeah, but didn't ghandi forbid his wife from western medical care, and then accepted it himself?

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 09:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

Oh please, you right wingers are nut cases.

My hope is we can move beyond partisanship. And most importantly stick to political ideas and not labels.

Really, you can’t even get past a single post without ignoring your own advice.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: denybedoomed

Politics are not welcome here. This goes far beyond the left/right angle...this concerns every working class citizen that is free from political inhibitions.
edit on 19-10-2017 by BloodStainedGlass because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: BloodStainedGlass

Lo siento

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Actually has there ever been big political change without violence?!?!

I’m not saying it is good, nor that maybe we haven’t evolved passed it being as effective, but I’m pretty sure every big political change that has bucked the establishment was preceded by violence...

The American revolution, French Revolution, Russian revolution, civil war, civil rights, Vietnam.....

I’m not sure there has ever been any big political revolution that was bloodless..

The way I have heard it ALWAYS plays out when successful..

1) you have violent upheaval..

2 ) the establishment responds with overwhelming force and innocents get killed.

3) the public blames the establishment not the under dog rebellion.

4) the precious establishment loses support and the new faction takes over...
edit on 19-10-2017 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: BloodStainedGlass

Just tryin to point out that maybe ghandi was kinda a dick to his wife?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join