It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WH Chief of Staff Kelly rips apart Congresswoman Rep. Frederica Wilson at Press Conference

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Is there really a recording? Haven't seen that anywhere or even heard it suggested.
Someone said there might be a Whitehouse transcript but Sarah Sanders says there is not.
Is it verified? People can fake voices. Las Vegas is full of impersonators.

Its a different person, different situation. Its an example of how Trumps phone calls are, at least in that one incident.

I think if everyone were honest with themselves here, they'd admit that any ire over this story boils down to they just don't like Trump, and everything he does is the worst thing int he world.

And thats ok...its ok to really dislike someone. But i'd rather folks at least be honest with themselves.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Is there really a recording? Haven't seen that anywhere or even heard it suggested.
Someone said there might be a Whitehouse transcript but Sarah Sanders says there is not.
Is it verified? People can fake voices. Las Vegas is full of impersonators.

Its a different person, different situation. Its an example of how Trumps phone calls are, at least in that one incident.

I think if everyone were honest with themselves here, they'd admit that any ire over this story boils down to they just don't like Trump, and everything he does is the worst thing int he world.

And thats ok...its ok to really dislike someone. But i'd rather folks at least be honest with themselves.

You deserve a gold star. The congresswoman herself expressed similar sentiments in her FBI speech, saying law enforcement officers go to work in the morning knowing they may not come home. That's pretty much synonymous with knowing what they signed up for. It's a common sentiment about soldiers and first responders, that they know their job is dangerous, know they can die, but bravely serve anyway. She herself relayed such a sentiment, so she knows he didn't mean it with malice or in a dismissive or disrespectful context. The outrage is merely because it's Trump. It's petty nonsense, and they know it at this point that's why they're having to resort to blatantly false charges of racism.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

That is not what that means at all. I'd guess you are not a veteran? Every one (veteran) I have spoke to at this point says - as Kelly did - that is what they say to each other and each other's families when this happens.

They DO know what they sign up for - and to still do it is bravery, patriotism, and selflessness. THAT is why they are heroes. And that is why that statement makes sense to those who have been there.

Yes, they DO know what they are signing up for... yet, they do it anyway. And yes, even though they know that - it still hurts when the worst happens. I am sure the same words are spoken among the ranks of police officers or firefighters when one of their own falls...

Anyone who takes a high-risk job DOES know what they signed up for... BUT THEY DO IT ANYWAY. Again, that's what makes them heroes. This isn't about the President. But the fact that you think there is something wrong with that statement means you do not understand the risks they take willingly. Yet, THEY do.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: RogueWaterC1

She released it today. While she did not say it directly, one can gather that she did it to show his tone / words when he called HER. This can be deduced since she has expressed how grateful she felt for the call and for the fact that he had taken time to research her husband before the call (which is evident in the call since he knew personal details).
edit on 20-10-2017 by nicevillegrl because: grammar

edit on 20-10-2017 by nicevillegrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: nicevillegrl

Very well said.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

The congresswoman didn't eavesdrop. She was present and therefore invited as a friend of the family to listen.
Evesdropped....that's the new company line huh?
Figures.
I'm sure she had a drinking glass up to the car door. Trying to hear what's being said so she can set the president up.

Uh huh. Okay...

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 03:19 PM
link   

That is not what that means at all. I'd guess you are not a veteran? Every one (veteran) I have spoke to at this point says - as Kelly did - that is what they say to each other and each other's families when this happens.

So, I guess you agree with Kelly, that people who never served don't have the same rights as those who have or are close to someone that has served. Well, my father served in WWII and my cousin died in Vietnam, but I guess that doesn't count, because "the draft".

At the end of the briefing, he (Kelly) said that he would take questions only from those members of the press who had a personal connection to a fallen soldier, followed by those who knew a Gold Star family. Considering that, a few minutes earlier, Kelly had said most Americans didn’t even know anyone who knew anyone who belonged to the “one per cent,” he was now explicitly denying a majority of Americans—or the journalists representing them—the right to ask questions. This was a new twist on the Trump Administration’s technique of shunning and shaming unfriendly members of the news media, except this time, it was framed explicitly in terms of national loyalty.
www.newyorker.com...

edit on 20-10-2017 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 03:23 PM
link   

No. I didn't say or even use the word "rights." You're putting words in my mouth or just choosing to affirm your cognitive biases. Some critical thinking and reading my whole comment should make it clear that you don't understand how they (soldiers / military / first responders) talk to each other or you wouldn't find offense in the words he used. That's all...

edit on 20-10-2017 by nicevillegrl because: phone typing errors. :-(

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 03:24 PM
link   

I don't think trump meant to be disrespectful. HOWEVER, he sure as hell didn't need to lie about what he said. lol

what really gets my craw was the implication that former presidents didn't call or write - that's awful no matter how you slice it, period. makes trump look like a whining idiot. he's gotta be the best at everything. lol.

trumps tweet today that the congresswoman was SECRETELY listening in WAS A LIE. he also called her wacky. you ok with all those lies? i'm not.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Can you tell me what in the first paragraph indicated I don't think people other than the military have rights? I think it's pretty clear I meant you may not understand that statement was not offensive because you just don't understand the mentality of those who willingly serve in dangerous positions. This guy was not drafted. He did know what he was getting into and he did it anyway. I think that's a huge compliment to him actually.

I SAID:
"That is not what that means at all. I'd guess you are not a veteran? Every one (veteran) I have spoke to at this point says - as Kelly did - that is what they say to each other and each other's families when this happens. "

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Well, I was wrong about General Kelly ... he's merely another lying politician:

Sun-Sentinel - Video Shows General Kelly Got it Wrong

Kelly then continued his criticism of Wilson, mentioning the 2015 dedication of the Miramar FBI building, saying she focused in her speech that she “got the money” for the building.

Wilson said Kelly’s comment was a fabrication, that she wasn’t even elected to Congress when the funding for the building was approved. A Sun Sentinel video of the event supports Wilson’s version of the events.

edit on 20-10-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Format

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: knoxie

I don't agree with everything President says for sure. I think he is rough around the edges for a politician. But I am tired of EVERY little thing getting henpecked too. I don't know why you're arguing with me. My statements / posts have only been about people complaining about that particular statement when those in the military consider that a high compliment - "He knew the risks and he did it anyway."

ETA: But good job at trying to turn the argument. That's a great example of "spinning." But you spun toward someone who wasn't defending him but rather that particular statement.
edit on 20-10-2017 by nicevillegrl because: ETA

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 03:31 PM
link   

you're right, I apologize, I don't mean to come across arguing with you.

I just don't understand how he can get away with saying other presidents didn't call or write, insinuating he's the best. I think that is awfully disrespectful and should be henpecked.

using dead soldiers to brag about yourself... it's just so absurd.
edit on 20-10-2017 by knoxie because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-10-2017 by knoxie because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: knoxie

No worries. It happens.

And you're right - I don't think he should have brought other Presidents into it. I could see people being upset with that. I don't like the tit for tat no matter who does it.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 03:34 PM
link   

My issue is that any one thing with Trump would hardly be significant ... but the man has had multiple lies, faux pas, ignorant statements, foolish/childish stunts virtually every day of his Presidency.

After a while, it takes it's toll. Like the straw breaking the camel's back.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Can you tell me what in the first paragraph indicated I don't think people other than the military have rights?

It sems to me you've implied that, since I haven't served, I don't understand Kelly's logic, I don't have the right to question what he and his authority say, or how they say it.

You think "He knew what he signed up for, but when it happens it hurts anyway" is a completely acceptable thing to say to a widow and her family, because it's true. You and Kelly don't get it. They are the ones in pain, they are the ones who lost a loved one, regardless of what HE signed up for!

Geez, do think that's an appropriate thing to say to fire fighter who lost their life in a fire, or for a doctor to say to the family of a woman who dies of preeclampsia during pregnancy? They knew the dangers when they signed up!

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I know that, and I never said anything different. I posted it because everyone, including Kelly, is saying that phone call was sacred and private. But, it's not that sacred for this lady, because it paints Trump in a positive light.

That's why I said 2xs "Oh the sacrilege!"

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 03:43 PM
link   

It's not sacrilege when the President (or his COS) does it.

#retch

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

I get why people feel that way. I honestly do. I see things a little different coming from a town smack dab between two huge military bases with Special Forces at both. Most of my friends have been military - many high-level. One of the things they said to me when I used to complain about Bush has stuck with me...

What they (basically) said was that you can't possibly (as a civilian) understand how dynamic information is - especially what is classified / when it is classified. Sometimes what seems like a "lie" is just withholding the truth. It's not "lying" as we have come to think it means. Because you can't legally tell the complete truth. That is why - even as a Conservative voter (fiscally/politically conservative but socially liberal - sounds like an oxymoron I know), I didn't take offense with Hillary's classified/non-classified email thing. I took offense with her for other reasons but not that.

I now try to look at the big picture and consider we can't possibly know what it's like when every single word we say is analyzed. I think if that happened with most of us, some would consider us to be many things negative at one time or another. Basically, I think 1/2 the people are always going to be unhappy with who we have in the Chief office. I didn't hate Obama but I didn't care for him either. I thought he was apologistic and frankly, anti-Amercian. I can't give examples off the top of my head but that's how I felt. However, he was my President and I respected that while he was in office. Not a single time did I publicly criticize him.

I will say, however, that I don't agree with everything President Trump says or does at all. However, I think the pendulum swing that occurred was a natural reset and likely, necessary.

I know, I'm rambling. The bottom line is I am trying to show that not all Trump "supporters" are 100% supporters but it gets incredibly frustrating when it definitely feels like everyone is staring at him and analyzing every word to catch him slip up. I don't believe the media ever did that to any other President. And I believe that's largely because the media - while always liberal - has become even more so. Do I think some of it is merited? Sure. It's just getting really out of hand I feel. But I am also mature enough to know there are two sides to everything and so most of the time, people are just going to have to agree to disagree.

edit on 20-10-2017 by nicevillegrl because: clarification

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   

INCREDIBLY well-said. You're the kind of Conservative I've always enjoyed sparring with ... a smart one that actually has fact-based knowledge.

You weren't rambling at all. It's no secret around here that I voted against Mr. Trump. I've voted "against" a candidate most of my life, because to me, anyone who seeks just about any office at all are psychopathic liars, pere-et-fils.

However, on Election Night, when he was obviously overcome with his victory, he said something that gave me hope: "I want to be a President for all Americans." Time to put aside the sniping, petty, belittling BS that he indulged in during the campaign and get on with the People's business ... for all of us.

That's what a President is SUPPOSED to do; they can be a partisan once every four years ... in the meantime, they need to work for every American.

Sadly, the next day, Trump started the SSDD we've come to know and, in my case, despise..

He has turned about to be worse for the country than I ever dreamed ... I'm not sure there's a way to recover any sort of Unity in these United States.

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join