It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Carter Breaks Silence - 'Iraqi Voting is Good'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Carter is a nice man, what with his Habitat for Humanity and
all. But he was a lousy president and his predictions of horror
for the Iraqis on voting day just prove that he still doesn't
know what he's talking about.

Carter ends silence, praises Iraqi voting

Robert Stacy McCain
Researchers John Sopko and Clark Eberly contributed to this report.
The Washington Times
News World Communications, Inc.

Former President Jimmy Carter, who predicted that elections in Iraq would fail and in the past year described the Bush administration's policy there as a quagmire, this week ended 10 days of silence to declare the historic Iraqi vote "a very successful effort."

"I hope that we'll have every success in Iraq," Mr. Carter said in a CNN interview. "And that election, I think, was a surprisingly good step forward."

The Nobel Peace Prize winner's comments on Wednesday contradicted his September assertion that the Iraq elections could not be held by January and ended a period during which the Georgia Democrat's failure to comment prompted one critic to gloat about the election success "shaming him into silence."

Last year, in venues ranging from CNN to National Public Radio, Mr. Carter predicted that Iraq would not be ready for a January election, compared the situation there to the Vietnam War and implied that "the control of oil" was a major reason for the U.S. military presence in Iraq.

< full story >

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Well, Carter may not have been a good president, but he is a stand up human.

Classy of him to admit he was wrong

Of course, he isn't running for office anymore.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Well, things will get worse before it gets better. Prediction of negative comments does not help. I heard it for months that the Iraq election will not come because of terrorist trying hard to disrupt the plan. It was a good day that these people not only in Iraq but Iraqi living abroad voted too. People do voice opinion to the media but that does not mean they will be right. I would have to say speculation coming from many people. The struggle to build a new government will not be easy, and can not be accomplished fast enough of those who criticize every step of the way.
Out..............................

Golden Shellback

[edit on 12-2-2005 by Goldenshellback]

new topics

join