It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who Is Kim Jong Un Actually Talking To Us Or His Own People?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   
While reading today's latest threat from North Korea's leader (to expect an unimaginable strike at an unimaginable time) it sounded just...silly. That's when it occurred to me that maybe all these threats and posturing are really just to boost up Kim Jong's image with his own people. Even the missle firing and hydrogen bomb testing could have been just showing off to his own people. I don't know...maybe it's a cultural thing and Kim Jong doesn't truly understand what he's doing. What do you think?

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: MissSmartypants

It's impossible to look into the mind of a mad man.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: MissSmartypants
I don't know...maybe ... Kim Jong doesn't truly understand what he's doing.

Yes.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I think there is no doubt much of it is propaganda for his subjects which has been mentioned by many of us over the years. Keeping the hate going I think is critical to him holding power over them. That and cutting them off from the outside world as much as is possible.

I think it's also mimicking what has worked in the past and gained NK lots of handouts in the past. The difference is he is close to being able to make good on threats, unlike his predecessor.

That the world is concerned about him, even the Chinese, is very worrying and a good indicator in my mind that he really is close to having the weapons he wants.

I don't think it being propaganda in part lessens the potential threat though. The threat is real.

If say Russia were to one day say we are going to nuke the West Coast if you don't do what we want, the missiles would fly and rightly so. NK may be getting to the point where it's the only option and the threat is just as genuine.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Well he can't really be talking to his own people. How would they hear him? They all gather around their tv sets in their nice homes with electricity and technology?

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Watch it. You go ruining the source of everyones drooling seething dreams of bomb spattered babies and you might get lynchmobbed.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   
He does try so very, very hard doesn't he?

If/when there is a war again in Korea, how will future history judge him?

Isn't that the ultimate question here?

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   

I think that's right , most of the rhetoric is for internal consumption with the response too it from the west showing how important and feared the leader is , when he speaks the world listens.
Kim knows exactly what he's doing , the question is does his opposite number.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555
I think there is no doubt much of it is propaganda for his subjects which has been mentioned by many of us over the years. Keeping the hate going I think is critical to him holding power over them. That and cutting them off from the outside world as much as is possible.

Well there you go. We commit what they perceive as acts of war (no doubt as even mere sanctions ARE acts of warfare). So then dear leader goes on the radio says they'll kill US if we invade them. So then US MSM gets a a hold of a transcript, cherry picks it, then serves it up on the news about the THREAT. Next everyone here starts screaming for blood because This Is SPARTA! So then Pacific Command sends another ship offshore to troll him and his honor into making another outlandish statement on NK Radio, and then the US MSM gets a transcript, cherry picks it... ad infinitum.

edit on 19-10-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: ausername
He does try so very, very hard doesn't he?

If/when there is a war again in Korea, how will future history judge him?

Isn't that the ultimate question here?

Just like his dad and his dad before him.
Stories like this do keep the perpetually scared people's fear levels at 11 however and away from facts like they haven't even tested anything radioactive.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

The real problem is, one day the threat may be real. In their mind and in fact the Korean War never ended.

I'd agree that sanctions are a double edged sword and let's hope that MAD will keep that nut job in NK contained. I'm sure he knows he will lose and lose badly.

Propaganda or no, if he feels threatened, even internally, the missiles may yet fly. Appeasement in the past made it worse as appeasement always does.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Garmanarnar

This article was from back in Feb.

However in speaking with a friend that's a nuclear historian. He's following the situation.

He is telling me that while NK does have a nuclear device/tested. It's no where near what they are claiming it's power is.

Pretty much that they are clearly lying about what they have. And their capabilities.

Which wouldn't be a surprise.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

Here's an idea. Maybe he wants the weapons as a deterrent to the US's bullying tactics that have been in place for almost 70 years toward his country. Maybe he's afraid of being invaded for no good reason other than $$$$ and resources that the US will derive, like they did in Iraq and Afghanistan, and hoped to gain in Libya and Syria as well. Maybe he has a lot more legitimate reason to be afraid of the US given its recent history than we have to be afraid of NK, which has never attacked nor attempted to attack US sovereignty. We can continue to call him crazy based on his silly speeches. But if that's the litmus test, then he has plenty of reason to call our leader crazy as well.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: TobyFlenderson
a reply to: Blaine91555

Here's an idea. Maybe he wants the weapons as a deterrent to the US's bullying tactics that have been in place for almost 70 years toward his country. Maybe he's afraid of being invaded for no good reason other than $$$$ and resources that the US will derive, like they did in Iraq and Afghanistan, and hoped to gain in Libya and Syria as well. Maybe he has a lot more legitimate reason to be afraid of the US given its recent history than we have to be afraid of NK, which has never attacked nor attempted to attack US sovereignty. We can continue to call him crazy based on his silly speeches. But if that's the litmus test, then he has plenty of reason to call our leader crazy as well.
Kim Jong is threatening a first strike. We're threatening a retaliation. Big difference.
Not to say that situations can't be manipulated.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 04:06 PM
link   

We're threatening a retaliation? First, I was responding to Blaine's post. I read his post saying that we maybe heading toward a preemptive strike. Second, all of the rhetoric I've been seeing, and the ridiculous shilling going on, reminds me of the lead up to the invasion of Iraq. Remember WMD's? I fell for it that time. Not again. The only Americans who have anything to fear from NK are those stupid enough to visit there or those amassed along it's southern border, IMHO.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I think Kim is talking to himself. He cares little about anyone else.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: TobyFlenderson

Are his threats of a first strike a thing at all to you? Not retaliation, he's openly promising a first strike.

I highly doubt anyone is after his money or resources. Comparing this to Iraq and Afghanistan is pretty out there on the fringe of reality.

I'd hope you are familiar with why we are there at all? I think you have wandered down a wrong path with this.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: TobyFlenderson

We're threatening a retaliation? First, I was responding to Blaine's post. I read his post saying that we maybe heading toward a preemptive strike. Second, all of the rhetoric I've been seeing, and the ridiculous shilling going on, reminds me of the lead up to the invasion of Iraq. Remember WMD's? I fell for it that time. Not again. The only Americans who have anything to fear from NK are those stupid enough to visit there or those amassed along it's southern border, IMHO.

I did not say that.

Propaganda or no, if he feels threatened, even internally, the missiles may yet fly. Appeasement in the past made it worse as appeasement always does.

I suggested he may make good on his promise and how appeasement in the past has made it worse. The topic is whether or not his words are just propaganda.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

Are his threats of a first strike a thing at all to you? Not retaliation, he's openly promising a first strike.

Which "threat"?

The ones the MSM (least trustworthy people anywhere) keep claiming are a THREAT?

Or him talking smack over his radio to prop up his family honor?

I've yet to see a big long thread with example after example of bonafide 'anything resembling a' press release. But the ones I have begged for the source of the "threat" I went and it was cherry picked BS flat out. Several times now that I've judged bothering to dig into subsequent chatter as a ruse and a waste of time.

So there's a good thread idea for someone: find as many real deal threat quotes as you can.

Be sure to include more than a mish mash of incomplete sentences (the norm from the cases I've looked at).

And from there well there's the whole thing if he's acting defensively then are they THREATS (opposed to being warnings to curb our own posturing)??

I mean a threat is we go in someplace and tell them we dont give them permission to do something and threaten to bomb them if they dont comply.

So in that equation if they say 'well oh ya, we'll nuke you if you try', thats not a THREAT.

So that would be bonus points to ensure you actually have the context (something which the MSM never seems to touch within any realm of sanity) along with the list of "threat" quotes.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 04:36 PM
link   
He might be dumb on some counts if you so believe, but he sure as heck isn't dumb when it comes to playing the tyrannical godlike leader. Point me to another country that has this dictatorship thing down like they have today.

To keep his scheme and lavish western product laced lifestyle going he needs his civilian slaveforce to be plenty. After all, who else is going to make and operate all those toys he so loves.

As long as the North Koreans love him and follow his orders I don't see him having any need to attack any country, he lives very very, very well.

The situation will only get dangerous when either another country attacks him, or his own people start rising up against him and he sees the end of his own reign coming. Then he'll start acting like the madman the media is portraying him to be. (Not that he isn't mad in other ways)

Don't take that thought to imply that I would not want them to rise up either. Safe from him dying of old age or lack of exercise that might be the only way. Only if they do, someone better dispose of him and his inner circle without delay and preferably without big balls of fire.

So long story short, I think it's directed at his own people and partly to any other one that stoops down to his level so he can make it look legitimate to the North Koreans.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join