It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

United says goodbye to the 747 in a new video

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 06:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Barnalby
That was just a little too before my time. Pan Am by my childhood was synonymous with Lockerbie, and I had only a few years before flight 800 did the same for TWA.

Same, their glory days were behind them when I was a kid.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 06:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: FredT

The golden age of air travel.

Not sure what type I'll be flying tomorrow, leaving Philly back to Portland. I do like United's first class though.

United's first class is much better than many for sure. I fly United for free (almost for it still cost 35$) and only book when it looks like first class or business class is open enough for me to get a seat.. I have flown several different airlines out of Asia usually enroute to Tokyo to pick up a United flight to the states.. Tokyo is a big hub for them..

My friends who flew the B747 loved the aircraft. I did not like the long three and 5 day trips so I never bid to fly the thing...

Next time you go to an airport look around and see if this still holds true.....for there used to be a saying that. "the bigger the aircraft the smaller the pilot"..

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 07:18 AM
link   
I was about 13 when I saw my first 747. We lived not too far from the airport. Like Phage, when I saw it, it looked like it was just hanging in the sky not even moving. All these years later and I can still see it.

747's still make great freighters and we should continue to see them for some time. That's all that Cargolux flies. To see one with the nose open is also impressive.

edit on 10-20-2017 by LogicalGraphitti because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 07:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky
United's first class is much better than many for sure.

Have you gotten a ride on the new 773s? Pretty sweet:

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Not sure what type I'll be flying tomorrow, leaving Philly back to Portland. I do like United's first class though.

United's first class is much better than many for sure. I fly United for free (almost for it still cost 35$) and only book when it looks like first class or business class is open enough for me to get a seat.. I have flown several different airlines out of Asia usually enroute to Tokyo to pick up a United flight to the states.. Tokyo is a big hub for them..

My friends who flew the B747 loved the aircraft. I did not like the long three and 5 day trips so I never bid to fly the thing...

Next time you go to an airport look around and see if this still holds true.....for there used to be a saying that. "the bigger the aircraft the smaller the pilot"..

Do I buck the trend if I'm 6'2" and my end goal is flying heavies for AA/DAL/United?

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Do I buck the trend if I'm 6'2" and my end goal is flying heavies for AA/DAL/United?

hahaha no way back when the big birds were a small percentage of the total fleet... Now 777s are everywhere..

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: LogicalGraphitti

Part of me wonders whether you'll see UPS or FedEx jump on the -400's once they need to replace their older DC-10s and 767s. In this era of Amazon and other e-commerce, I'm sure the volume is there to justify them on some of the busier route pairings, and a nose door retrofit could do amazing things for their turnaround times.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 07:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

United's first class is much better than many for sure.

Have you gotten a ride on the new 773s? Pretty sweet:

No the last flights I have made were three years ago and they were on 777s. I hate to go through the effort and hassle to leave my little part of heaven.. Besides it takes almost 22 hours flight time to get to Houston, Tx. After you add ground time and travel time it is around a 30+ hour ordeal.. which really screws up my golf game for a few days !!

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

My heart's set on 787s, but I know that's putting the cart wayyy before the horse for now since it's still probably a decade or so until I'll be close to that, and I sure as heck wouldn't say no to 777s or A350s.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 07:59 AM
link   

My heart's set on 787s, but I know that's putting the cart wayyy before the horse for now since it's still probably a decade or so until I'll be close to that, and I sure as heck wouldn't say no to 777s or A350s.

Good luck in your future plans.. Everything is based off of seniority so the sooner you can get your foot in the door the better.. Just remember myself and others have always said... If it ain't Boeing I ain't going... hahah I did fly the MD-80 for a few years.. I got off that lawn dart and went back to Boeing and never looked back..

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Am I a bad person if the fact that my timeline for getting into and out of the regionals means I'll probably never have the chance to fly an MD-80/717 actually makes me a little bit sad?

They always seemed like a fairly hot little aircraft compared to the 737/A320 status quo.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I FINALLY downloaded the United App so I can watch tv/movies on my flights.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 06:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger
Happy to say I still do get to work on them, and probably will for a few more years yet. I prefer working on the A380 though.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 06:04 AM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR
Really? Where abouts you going? I might be around town.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 06:11 AM
link   

I FINALLY downloaded the United App so I can watch tv/movies on my flights.

Welcome to the new century. Did they have any talkies that you liked?

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I had my betamax in my carry-on and hooked it up to watch the vidijas.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Were you able to get your ear trumpet through TSA?

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Were you able to get your ear trumpet through TSA?

Yeah, but they took my portable Victrola.

On a side note, did the pre-flight TSA approval and was through the security line in 3 minutes.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 07:33 AM
link   

I'm heading out in a few hours to experience the joy that is the EWR TSA PreCheck. Fully automated but still 30 minutes to get through. I love the government.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 07:41 AM
link   

I'm heading out in a few hours to experience the joy that is the EWR TSA PreCheck. Fully automated but still 30 minutes to get through. I love the government.

It's for your safety.

The cavity search is just a bonus.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join