It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uranus will be visible from Earth tonight

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: LondonMan

He called the new planet the 'Georgian star' (Georgium sidus) after King George III, which also brought him favour; the name did not stick.

Because Kings need to plant flags to claim lands for the King. It probably 'didn't stick' because everyone scoffed at George for claiming a planet in his name without actually going there.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 09:30 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Uranus! Damn near killed him!

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: LondonMan

William Herschel discovered Uranus in 1781

Impossible. I wasn't even born then. And even if he had, I think I would have noticed.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 10:09 AM
link   
'Uranus will be visible from Earth tonight'

Well, I don't really think it's mine at all...not if it's had no probes.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 10:30 AM
link   
For the few ones that do have a telescope, here's this months skymap:

www.skymaps.com...

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 12:16 PM
link   
So are you trying to tell me I DON'T Need to get the implants then?

Why am I like this....

-Alee

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: MuonToGluon

originally posted by: LondonMan
Jokes aside, that was exactly the point i was making, a very strange planet... one can hope a probe goes back .................

That's what I thought.

Once in a while with the mention of Uranus I always hope a proper discussion happens, it does not matter where it is on the net, it is ALWAYS 98% Anus jokes and 2% of people trying to post about Uranus and displaying their annoyance at the non stop lame jokes.

It would be fine if the ratio was 60/40 or even 50/50, but it never is.
Who do you think will be the first man to colonize Uranus?

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: MuonToGluon
Least scientifically studied/explored planet, and it is such a beautiful planet also, such a great shade of blue with a ring system also.

I care not for jokes, it's the last remaining planet that has not been studied or had a satellite sent to study it properly, exception of a very brief fly-by with Voyager.

I hope in the near future they consider a mission, there are a lot of broken theories and mysteries surrounding Uranus.

I find the axis of rotation of this planet intriguing.

It needs another name unfortunately.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I wouldn't touch Uranus with a 10 foot pole.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: LondonMan
William Herschel discovered Uranus in 1781 .. And this astronomical body will be visable from earth tonight

He called the new planet the 'Georgian star' (Georgium sidus) after King George III, which also brought him favour; the name did not stick. In France, where reference to the British king was to be avoided if possible, the planet was known as 'Herschel' until the name 'Uranus' was universally adopted.

... I for one will be hoping for a clear night to get a glimpse, and be awaiting saturns arrival

Saturn will appear in just a few days, sitting above the moon on October 23 and below it on October 24, according to NASA.

Always wondered who it was that changed the name ? ......
Nowadays some people can't tell the difference between Uranus and your Elbow

Just in case someone is actually interested, I for one think this is cool stuff to know:

Herschel did not name the planet Uranus, he called it "the Georgium Sidus" (the Georgian Planet) in honor of King George III of England. The name "Uranus" was first proposed by German astronomer Johann Elert Bode in order for it to be in conformity with the other planetary names - which are from classical mythology. Uranus is the ancient Greek deity of the Heavens, the earliest supreme god. This name did not achieve common use until 1850.

starchild.gsfc.nasa.gov...

Also:

With the exception of Earth, all of the planets in our solar system have names from Greek or Roman mythology. This tradition was continued when Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto were discovered in more modern times.

•Mercury (Hermes) is the god of commerce, travel and thievery in Roman mythology. The planet probably received this name because it moves so quickly across the sky.
•Venus (Aphrodite) is the Roman goddess of love and beauty. The planet is aptly named since it makes a beautiful sight in the sky, with only the Sun and the Moon being brighter.
•Earth (Gaia) is the only planet whose English name does not derive from Greek/Roman mythology. The name derives from Old English and Germanic. There are, of course, many other names for our planet in other languages.
•Jupiter (Zeus) was the King of the Gods in Roman mythology, making the name a good choice for what is by far the largest planet in our solar system
•Mars (Ares) is the Roman god of War. The planet probably got this name due to its red color. Jupiter was the King of the Gods in Roman mythology, making the name a good choice for what is by far the largest planet in our solar system.
•Saturn (Cronus) is the Roman god of agriculture.
•Uranus is the ancient Roman deity of the Heavens, the earliest supreme god.
•Neptune (Poseidon), was the Roman god of the Sea. Given the beautiful blue color of this planet, the name is an excellent choice!
•Pluto (Hades) is the Roman god of the underworld in Roman mythology. Perhaps the planet received this name because it's so far from the Sun that it is in perpetual darkness.

www.greek-mythology-gods.com...

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Uranus will be visible from Earth tonight

guess i better make sure there aren't any klingons hanging round

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Also, watch for $20 bills on the ground, and Klingons....

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Illumimasontruth
If you catch a look remember you are seeing a planet at least 1.7 billion miles away. Pretty awesome.

Cool, and looking back in time about 2 1/2 hours !

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   
My proudest moment as a father so far was sending my son into school telling him to ask his teacher what Uranus smells of....

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 06:56 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Naa it just proves there are no aliens or Uranus would have already been probed .
We ( humans just are into that kind of probing as much

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: MuonToGluon

Sometimes a joke is just hard to get past, like a fart immediately leading to humor.

On topic - It rains solid diamonds on Uranus

“Previously, researchers could only assume that the diamonds had formed,” lead author Dominik Kraus, a physicist at the Helmholtz Dresden-Rossendorf research centre in Germany, told the magazine Cosmos. “When I saw the results of this latest experiment, it was one of the best moments of my scientific career.”

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I'm seriously trying to live a more conformed morals....the title insults me somehow....my privicy....

OH....a planet......

laughed uncontrolled through the first page.....so you know how I am with Austin Powers....fat Bastard

edit on 19-10-2017 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Is it just tonight ? Or Friday night too ?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join