It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uranus will be visible from Earth tonight

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 07:29 AM
link   
William Herschel discovered Uranus in 1781 .. And this astronomical body will be visable from earth tonight

He called the new planet the 'Georgian star' (Georgium sidus) after King George III, which also brought him favour; the name did not stick. In France, where reference to the British king was to be avoided if possible, the planet was known as 'Herschel' until the name 'Uranus' was universally adopted.

... I for one will be hoping for a clear night to get a glimpse, and be awaiting saturns arrival

Saturn will appear in just a few days, sitting above the moon on October 23 and below it on October 24, according to NASA.

Always wondered who it was that changed the name ? ......
Nowadays some people can't tell the difference between Uranus and your Elbow
edit on 19-10-2017 by LondonMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 07:36 AM
link   
a reply to: LondonMan

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 07:37 AM
link   

William Herschel discovered Uranus in 1781

No , he did not. I assure you I wasnt even born yet
(time for me to go nighty night . Sleep deprivation does weird things to thought processes)

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Hopefully I can get a clear view of Uranus.

BTW we should take a clue from Futurama and rename the planet.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 07:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: grey580

Hopefully I can get a clear view of Uranus.

BTW we should take a clue from Futurama and rename the planet.

URectum?

It smells, accoring to the good doctor.

PS: Myanus is visible from earth on request.

It's a niche market, obviously...

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 07:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

(time for me to go nighty night . Sleep deprivation does weird things to thought processes)
he was the first person to identify it as a planet

The object was soon universally accepted as a new planet. By 1783, Herschel acknowledged this to Royal Society president Joseph Banks: "By the observation of the most eminent Astronomers in Europe it appears that the new star, which I had the honour of pointing out to them in March 1781, is a Primary Planet of our Solar System."[30] In recognition of his achievement, King George III gave Herschel an annual stipend of £200 on condition that he move to Windsor so that the Royal Family could look through his telescopes.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Johann Elert Bode was the man who finaslly named it. Before Herschel it was thought to be a star or comet.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Sorry, but I don't show Myanus to the public. You can find much more attractive examples on the internet anyway.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Sir William Herschel discovered Uranus in 1781, 200 years before you were born. How did he do that ?............

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 07:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: AndyFromMichigan
Sorry, but I don't show Myanus to the public. You can find much more attractive examples on the internet anyway.
The ancient Greeks liked Uranus and it seems to be the butt of jokes...............

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 07:51 AM
link   

“Some people say “Ur-nus”, others say “Ur-anus”
I personally prefer “Ur mom” but is nonetheless an interesting planet.

edit on 19-10-2017 by LondonMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 07:59 AM
link   

At magnitude +5.69 your eyes will barely see it as a very dim star, if the seeing is good in your area.

You'll have a better chance with a pair of binocs or a telescope, and even then it will look like a dim star.

It will be above the eastern horizon by 8pm local time and will traverse the sky all during the night tonight.

It will be in the narrow "V" part of the constellation Pisces.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 08:00 AM
link   
If you catch a look remember you are seeing a planet at least 1.7 billion miles away. Pretty awesome.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Take into account light pollution when you think about looking at dim objects esp for the non astronomy folks,

If you are in London the best dark sky location within any sort of reasonable distance I have found is located in Tenterden Kent, Just pitch up off some random track and away you go.. I had up until a few years ago used the area for viewing and you can clearly see the milky way along with M31 with a averted vision..

RA

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: LondonMan

Sir William Herschel discovered Uranus in 1781, 200 years before you were born. How did he do that ?............

My greatness proceedeth me

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Least scientifically studied/explored planet, and it is such a beautiful planet also, such a great shade of blue with a ring system also.

I care not for jokes, it's the last remaining planet that has not been studied or had a satellite sent to study it properly, exception of a very brief fly-by with Voyager.

I hope in the near future they consider a mission, there are a lot of broken theories and mysteries surrounding Uranus.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: MuonToGluon
Least scientifically studied/explored planet, and it is such a beautiful planet also, such a great shade of blue with a ring system also.

I care not for jokes, it's the last remaining planet that has not been studied or had a satellite sent to study it properly, exception of a very brief fly-by with Voyager.

I hope in the near future they consider a mission, there are a lot of broken theories and mysteries surrounding Uranus.
Jokes aside, that was exactly the point i was making, a very strange planet... one can hope a probe goes back .................

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Ill be wearing 2 pairs of underwear today

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: LondonMan
Jokes aside, that was exactly the point i was making, a very strange planet... one can hope a probe goes back .................

That's what I thought.

Once in a while with the mention of Uranus I always hope a proper discussion happens, it does not matter where it is on the net, it is ALWAYS 98% Anus jokes and 2% of people trying to post about Uranus and displaying their annoyance at the non stop lame jokes.

It would be fine if the ratio was 60/40 or even 50/50, but it never is.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: MuonToGluon

hahahahhahahahahhahahahhahaahha

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join