It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is wrong with this country

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 01:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm
a reply to: DupontDeux

Sure you are.

How is this thread an attack on right wingers???

You're delusional.

Maybe that is the problem with this country.

This might be slightly off topic, but I think it is important for my point to address. See, I am a centrist-left by Danish standards but Denmark as a whole are very far to the left - even the far right believe in heavy taxation, universal healthcare, taxpayer paid free-for-all university, social welfare and so on.

Basically, in Denmark the DEM's would be considered both far right and in most ways very conservative. That means that if I were to place myself on the political scale of America, I would find myself solidly on the left.

It also means that to me both the GOP and the DEM's are on the right - and to be honest I find their differences small and petty. They (both) might try to keep a narrative of differences, but really, take a step back and look at the whole picture, and you may notice how only a tiny handful of issues (out of thousands upon thousands) makes up the differences.

Those issue might be important to some or (even many), but in the context of running one of the largest countries in the entire world, they are not.

The point is, that the two parties/wings are same-same to me, and I thus have no political investment in either. I can understand your knee jerk reaction labeling me as a right winger, as I am not supporting of the left, but I am not.

It simply appears to me that the left spend much more time addressing their distaste of a broadly painted right than vice versa.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 01:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: DupontDeux

originally posted by: mOjOm

Sure you are.

How is this thread an attack on right wingers???

You're delusional.

Maybe that is the problem with this country.

The point is, that the two parties/wings are same-same to me, and I thus have no political investment in either. I can understand your knee jerk reaction labeling me as a right winger, as I am not supporting of the left, but I am not.

It simply appears to me that the left spend much more time addressing their distaste of a broadly painted right than vice versa.

To expand on the above:

One of the prime examples is the deplorables-narrative - if you vote Republican (and thus Trump) you are a sexist-bigot-racist-illiterate-uneducated dumbass. And your worries are a joke and should not be listened to.

I often wonder how the election had turn out if, instead of belittling the issues that is obviously real to many Americans and calling them idiots, the left's response had been to say "listen, Trump might have pointed out real problems, but that does not mean he has real answers."

I believe Hillary would have won with a landslide, but for some reason the left's goto reaction was to hate on anyone even perceived to be not-left. I am not just talking about Hillary's campaign - it was a shared narrative across all liberal platforms (perhaps apart from Sanders' - who by the way was also hated on.

The left's own hate lost them the election in my opinion.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 02:05 AM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

So as long as everyone thinks exactly like you everything would be fine. Your post just goes to show a skunk can't smell his own stink. When you are completely blind to your own radicalism, then who is the REAL radical?

There is nothing more radical than saying everything but preserving the status quo is radical.

edit on 19-10-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Ultimately, it's the populace and Corporations that is wrong with the country, OP.
Corporations have the money to back both the lobbyists and politicians. I find it no coincidence how some politicians vote on certain issues when you look at their family backgrounds, previous job(s), and current connections. We are corrupt as all f# in the US.

Buying off politicians is frowned upon by the public, but we keep letting them do it instead of getting off our lazy asses & doing something of significance in full force to make our points & desires known. WE broke the government & allowed it to be & stay corrupt like this, but we're too lazy to work together to sweep up the mess.

originally posted by: Bone75

originally posted by: Tardacus

the country is 20 trillion in debt and the liberals still want to be giving money to arts and farts programs and public T.V.

if the country was flush with money and running a 20 trillion surplus then fine give away tons of money to arts and T.V but we are 20 trillion in debt and going further in debt every year now is not the time to be pissing money away.

Have you checked the debt clock lately?

It says that 18.55 trillion of that is in personal debt.

That can't be right.

Can it?

It works out to an averaged personal debt of roughly $74,000 per each of the 250 million 18 years+ Americans. Not every adult has that exact debt, some have far more and some have none at all. In other words, I find it rather believable that that much personal debt is held by adults in the US.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 02:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: dfnj2015

Maybe I missed it, but nowhere did you mention the word, "Freedom".
Most of the things you listed have a negative impact on an individual's freedom.
The leftists are the biggest anti-freedom gang, but the republicans are also bad.
Why can't I just be free to speak, to kneel, to write, to fly a flag, build a statue, hold a rally, buy a gun, smoke some weed, say a prayer, sing a song or just express myself?
Seems no one wants that any more.
I'm just an old man without a party, with an outdated ideology.

Political freedom means nothing without economic freedom. What do you think takes away more of your freedom, not being able to buy high caliber machine guns capable of firing 1000 rounds per minute, or having depressed wages where you can never get ahead and EVERYONE is always crushed by having debt?

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 02:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: CliffoCambridge
a reply to: dfnj2015

in response to your post ultimately it's the government that is wrong.

I disagree. It's the corporations. Corporations are the root of the problem NOT the government. The CEOs have ALL the power. The CEOs own the lobbyists. The lobbyists own the politicians. Without lobbyist money, a politician will be primaried out of a job.

"An old English judge once said: 'Necessitous men are not free men.' Liberty requires opportunity to make a living - a living decent according to the standard of the time, a living which gives man not only enough to live by, but something to live for.

For too many of us the political equality we once had won was meaningless in the face of economic inequality. A small group had concentrated into their own hands an almost complete control over other people's property, other people's money, other people's labor - other people's lives. For too many of us life was no longer free; liberty no longer real; men could no longer follow the pursuit of happiness.

Against economic tyranny such as this, the American citizen could appeal only to the organized power of government."

Speech before the 1936 Democratic National Convention

Government is the answer. Government is the ONLY answer. Corporations are the problem.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   

You're making some big argument about me labeling you, but you're labeling me. You even started off by labeling me first. But now I'm the bad guy here???

How things appear to you is really not much more than your opinion and one being made from a completely different country. Try coming here and see for yourself and you might see a big difference.

In either case this thread still wasn't an attack on the right. But then again, to you everyone here is on the right anyway.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
a reply to: mOjOm

So as long as everyone thinks exactly like you everything would be fine. Your post just goes to show a skunk can't smell his own stink. When you are completely blind to your own radicalism, then who is the REAL radical?

There is nothing more radical than saying everything but preserving the status quo is radical.

Umm, no, I never said anything like that at all actually. Not my problem if you can't read or understand what I wrote.

Saying the problem is Ideological Radicals who are too far lost in their own ideology doesn't mean everyone must agree with me. It means the problem is that radicals are too stuck in their own ideology to be flexible or to ever compromise about anything regardless of the discussion. That has nothing to do with me at all actually.

I'm not a Radical at all. I compromise with people here all the time or change my views sometimes based on the discussions here. I'm not stuck in some holding any ideals that can't be changed.

I don't know why you think my post had anything to do with me. Especially since I was pointing out that it was the problem. Would it make much sense for me to say radicals are the problem while also labeling myself as a radical??? I think you need to read it again.

I also never said anything about wanting to keep the status quo.
edit on 19-10-2017 by mOjOm because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrdthey blow # up then call it a national dept so we can pay for it thru every generation.
We are so brain washed.

edit on 22-10-2017 by madenusa because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

OOooh....a chart! I wonder what chart is more accurate, yours or mine.

There are many charts online...they all say something different.

edit on 10 22 2017 by CynConcepts because: I give up! Could not downsize image to fit! Grrr.

The main thing is to actually look at a chart and recognize why there was a change. It is not republican nor democratic...it was national events. Yes, wars can increase the debt. Recessions...hurt as well. It is a timeline and yes...it goes up and down. Unfortunately, often the change of office is difficult since they have to deal with a prior officials neglect of an issue. It is then reflected in these so called charts.
edit on 10 22 2017 by CynConcepts because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
As many of you know I tend to be far to the left. But I am really trying my best to understand why people on the right hate the left so much.

I stopped here. Disagreeing with someone does not equal hate.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join