It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is wrong with this country

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   
As many of you know I tend to be far to the left. But I am really trying my best to understand why people on the right hate the left so much. So in an effort to better understand our ideological differences, I want to pose a question. The question is what is wrong with this country the most in terms of the following choices. I will provide a summary for each choice. You can also post some percentage of each choice. But I would be interesting in hearing peoples reasons why you make one choice above the other choices.

1. Government is the problem - Taxes are too high. Too much spending is a waste of money (please specify what spending is too much if this is your choice). We have too many people working in government. Government is too big.

2. Corporations are the problem - CEOs pay lobbyists to force the politicians to pass legislation creating cartels and monopolies in exchange for campaign financing. Since CEOs own the advertising networks, political campaign financing is practically free to the CEOs. But the result of the lobbyists is we have no free markets. Everyone is forced to shop at the company store. The median worker's wage becomes a poverty wage. Wealth inequality is at all-time highs.

3. The Federal Reserve is the problem - Fiat money at interest is a hidden tax making it impossible for the government to ever get out of debt. Fiat money created with interest is a giant anchor around every citizens neck guaranteeing everyone will always be at maximum debt levels. Since the Citizens United ruling, the Fed can print any amount of money necessary to make sure candidates favorable to the Federal Reserve are the only ones to come out of the primary process. We all slaves to the Rothschild. In the words of Mater Amschel Rothschild, "Give me control of a nations money supply, and I care not who makes its laws".

4. Out of control foreign military spending - We have 800+ foreign military a bases around the world. The Rammstein base rent in Germany alone pays for free healthcare for the entire German population. If we close half of our foreign military a bases and we opened 2 new military bases in every state in the Union our economy would go gang busters! Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC),[1][2] is a process[3] by a United States federal government commission[4] to increase United States Department of Defense efficiency by planning the end of the Cold War realignment and closure of military installations. More than 350 installations have been closed in five BRAC rounds: 1988, 1991, 1993, 1995, and 2005. Time to reopen US military bases especially on our Southern border with Mexico!

5. Labor is lazy and worthless - US workers are just not good enough. They are over paid, not very smart, do too much drugs, and don't give a crap about doing a good hard days labor. American workers have no loyalty to their companies and waste too much money at their employers expense. American workers have very bad diets, they are overweight, and have many unnecessary health issues that drive up healthcare premiums hurting the company's bottom line.

6. Healthcare system - The CEOs who own the healthcare insurance provides also own the hospitals. So there is a built-in incentive to get the hospital to over charge the healthcare companies. The healthcare companies are then "forced" to raise premiums. All the while the CEOs who own each branch of the cartel make a bundle of money. The U.S. spent $8,233 on health per person in 2010. Norway, the Netherlands and Switzerland are the next highest spenders, but in the same year, they all spent at least $3,000 less per person. The average spending on health care among the other 33 developed OECD countries was $3,268 per person.Oct 22, 2012. I smell a corruption!!!

7. Gerrymandering - both parties do it but the Republicans took it to a completely new utterly disgusting level in 2010. After the 2010 census it is virtually impossible for the Democrats to take back control of Congress. Maybe after the 2020 census but even then I doubt since right wing politically active billionaires like the Koch brothers are using their influence to make sure Republicans control most every state house in the Union. So it is very unlike after the 2020 census gerrymandering will be restore to more sane levels. I'm thinking the Democrats will have a chance to regain control of the House after the 2030 census.

You are welcome to add more to the list. But make sure you give a few reasons why you would consider them a problem. Please don't just say Democrats are poo-poo as a cause.

For me to answer my own question, based on wealth inequality in this country, corporations are our biggest problem to a better quality of life for everyone. I think the lobbyists with the Citizen's United ruling simple how way too much power over politics in this country. The average person making the median worker's wage has absolutely no power or representation in DC. As I said, I tend to lean to the left. Money talks, everything people complain about is BS. And the CEOs and billionaires have ALL the money.

edit on 18-10-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
As many of you know I tend to be far to the left. But I am really trying my best to understand why people on the right hate the left so much. So in an effort to better understand our ideological differences, I want to pose a question. The question is what is wrong with this country the most in terms of the following choices. I will provide a summary for each choice. You can also post some percentage of each choice. But I would be interesting in hearing peoples reasons why you make one choice above the other choices.

1. Government is the problem - Taxes are too high. Too much spending is a waste of money (please specify what spending is too much if this is your choice). We have too many people working in government. Government is too big.

2. Corporations are the problem - CEOs pay lobbyists to force the politicians to pass legislation creating cartels and monopolies in exchange for campaign financing. Since CEOs own the advertising networks, political campaign financing is practically free to the CEOs. But the result of the lobbyists is we have no free markets. Everyone is forced to shop at the company store. The median worker's wage becomes a poverty wage. Wealth inequality is at all-time highs.

3. The Federal Reserve is the problem - Fiat money at interest is a hidden tax making it impossible for the government to ever get out of debt. Fiat money created with interest is a giant anchor around every citizens neck guaranteeing everyone will always be at maximum debt levels. Since the Citizens United ruling, the Fed can print any amount of money necessary to make sure candidates favorable to the Federal Reserve are the only ones to come out of the primary process. We all slaves to the Rothschild. In the words of Mater Amschel Rothschild, "Give me control of a nations money supply, and I care not who makes its laws".

4. Out of control foreign military spending - We have 800+ foreign military a bases around the world. The Rammstein base rent in Germany alone pays for free healthcare for the entire German population. If we close half of our foreign military a bases and we opened 2 new military bases in every state in the Union our economy would go gang busters! Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC),[1][2] is a process[3] by a United States federal government commission[4] to increase United States Department of Defense efficiency by planning the end of the Cold War realignment and closure of military installations. More than 350 installations have been closed in five BRAC rounds: 1988, 1991, 1993, 1995, and 2005. Time to reopen US military bases especially on our Southern border with Mexico!

5. Labor is lazy and worthless - US workers are just not good enough. They are over paid, not very smart, do too much drugs, and don't give a crap about doing a good hard days labor. American workers have no loyalty to their companies and waste too much money at their employers expense. American workers have very bad diets, they are overweight, and have many unnecessary health issues that drive up healthcare premiums hurting the company's bottom line.

6. Healthcare system - The CEOs who own the healthcare insurance provides also own the hospitals. So there is a built-in incentive to get the hospital to over charge the healthcare companies. The healthcare companies are then "forced" to raise premiums. All the while the CEOs who own each branch of the cartel make a bundle of money. The U.S. spent $8,233 on health per person in 2010. Norway, the Netherlands and Switzerland are the next highest spenders, but in the same year, they all spent at least $3,000 less per person. The average spending on health care among the other 33 developed OECD countries was $3,268 per person.Oct 22, 2012. I smell a corruption!!!

7. Gerrymandering - both parties do it but the Republicans took it to a completely new utterly disgusting level in 2010. After the 2010 census it is virtually impossible for the Democrats to take back control of Congress. Maybe after the 2020 census but even then I doubt since right wing politically active billionaires like the Koch brothers are using their influence to make sure Republicans control most every state house in the Union. So it is very unlike after the 2020 census gerrymandering will be restore to more sane levels. I'm thinking the Democrats will have a chance to regain control of the House after the 2030 census.

You are welcome to add more to the list. But make sure you give a few reasons why you would consider them a problem. Please don't just say Democrats are poo-poo as a cause.

For me to answer my own question, based on wealth inequality in this country, corporations are our biggest problem to a better quality of life for everyone. I think the lobbyists with the Citizen's United ruling simple how way too much power over politics in this country. The average person making the median worker's wage has absolutely no power or representation in DC. As I said, I tend to lean to the left. Money talks, everything people complain about is BS. And the CEOs and billionaires have ALL the money.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

I think the only problem is the government.

They are elected to deal with all the others you mention.

That's the reality.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: midicon

The government is controlled by the lobbyists.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Government but in addition to the context you provided I submit that money in politics is the heart of the problem.
Make all campaigns publicly funded and do not allow elected officials to receive any campaign contributions.
Take the money out of politics and all "special interest" is slain. The money grubbers would leave and those serving would be serving to better the nation not to line their own pockets.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Then you do not have a democracy.

The government has the power to fix all of the problems you mention. No one else can. So in essence the government is the problem.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 03:28 PM
link   
The dying art of disagreement

Thirty years ago, in 1987, a philosophy professor at the University of Chicago named Allan Bloom — at the time best known for his graceful translations of Plato’s “Republic” and Rousseau’s “Emile” — published a learned polemic about the state of higher education in the United States. It was called “The Closing of the American Mind.”

The book appeared when I was in high school, and I struggled to make my way through a text thick with references to Plato, Weber, Heidegger and Strauss. But I got the gist — and the gist was that I’d better enroll in the University of Chicago and read the great books. That is what I did.

What was it that one learned through a great books curriculum? Certainly not “conservatism” in any contemporary American sense of the term. We were not taught to become American patriots, or religious pietists, or to worship what Rudyard Kipling called “the Gods of the Market Place.” We were not instructed in the evils of Marxism, or the glories of capitalism, or even the superiority of Western civilization.

As I think about it, I’m not sure we were taught anything at all. What we did was read books that raised serious questions about the human condition, and which invited us to attempt to ask serious questions of our own. Education, in this sense, wasn’t a “teaching” with any fixed lesson. It was an exercise in interrogation.

To listen and understand; to question and disagree; to treat no proposition as sacred and no objection as impious; to be willing to entertain unpopular ideas and cultivate the habits of an open mind — this is what I was encouraged to do by my teachers at the University of Chicago.

It’s what used to be called a liberal education.

That habit was no longer being exercised much 30 years ago. And if you’ve followed the news from American campuses in recent years, things have become a lot worse.

According to a new survey from the Brookings Institution, a plurality of college students today — fully 44 percent — do not believe the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution protects so-called “hate speech,” when of course it absolutely does. More shockingly, a narrow majority of students — 51 percent — think it is “acceptable” for a student group to shout down a speaker with whom they disagree. An astonishing 20 percent also agree that it’s acceptable to use violence to prevent a speaker from speaking.

These attitudes are being made plain nearly every week on one college campus or another.

I just quoted a small portion, much more at the link.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 03:37 PM
link   

The problem in this country, easy. Radicals.

Radicals of all various ideology's which are too locked into their own brand of cult think that they are no longer reasonable or flexible on their ideas, ideals, philosophies, demands, expectations, etc.

That goes for every class and institution and group you can possibly think of. Religion, Police, Government, NRA, SJW's, Repubs., Dems., Gamer's, Feminists, etc. I'm not going to even try and name them all, but you get the idea.

F*cking Radicals that take up positions in and on these groups without any type of reasonable argument or the ability to have a discussion or reach any kind of agreement other than their own absolute and total domination of everything they want or feel they should get.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 03:39 PM
link   

in response to your post ultimately it's the government that is wrong.

edit on 18-10-2017 by CliffoCambridge because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 03:44 PM
link   

I think the only problem is the government.

They are elected to deal with all the others you mention.

That's the reality.

Yes, that is reality. Yet, it go deeper than that? Elected representatives are supposed to deal with all the other points mentioned. BUT THEY DON'T. And why is that.

Because we elect the wrong people. Those we elect either are from the outset or are too susceptible to the glitter of wealth. The money we pay them is not enough to over come that temptation. So what do they do. They write legislation to benefit themselves more than to benefit the rest of us.

So, as so many of our representatives hove succumbed to the temptations of wealth and cannot get enough pay from us to feed that need, nor write enough bills for them to take advantage of themselves, who do they turn to to advance their own wealth. Who? Those with the most money. The business world. The owners of the production machine. The corporations.

So I do not blame government because we are not smart enough to hire individuals who are strong enough to withstand those temptations that are dangled before their noses day in and day out by the wealth.

Opps, replied to the another poster, but my point still stands.

edit on 31America/ChicagoWed, 18 Oct 2017 15:50:12 -0500Wed, 18 Oct 2017 15:50:12 -050017102017-10-18T15:50:12-05:00300000050 by TerryMcGuire because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   

. Government is the problem - Taxes are too high. Too much spending is a waste of money (please specify what spending is too much if this is your choice). We have too many people working in government. Government is too big.

Government is the problem. Get outta my day to day life. Stop taking my money.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 03:46 PM
link   

But I am really trying my best to understand why people on the right hate the left so much. So in an effort to better understand our ideological differences,

Well, you are off to a bad start. There is much hate on both sides. This is easy for me to see and discuss because I don't cripple myself with any one political ideal or party. I don't believe any one solution is the best fit for ALL problems or industries.

Much of the hate and anger IN THIS COUNTRY is due to the strategy that the Left and the MSM have embraced. Before you stop reading right there and taking that as a personal biased insult to the Left deity , let me explain .

The left has taken a very counter productive and lazy measure to deal with racism that has torn this country apart. The Left and MSM only talk and focus on racism from a point of view where its ALWAYS a white male against black and other minorities in this country.

The issue with that is that it creates and reinforces two sets of groups: victims (Minorities) and Villains (White Males) and nobody wants to belong to either of those groups.

Hence the lefts and the MSM strategy to tackle racism actually does the opposite and creates an atmosphere for hate,intolerance, and anger toward each other.

There strategy to classify the same people into groups of [victim] and [villains] is dangerous and the GOP ,DNC, and MSM apply it to just about every political topic in the US but the left more so with the 'ism'.

Now if you are still reading , the Right does it too but they do it at a different level. While the left is busy with the MSM in keeping us fighting among each other , the right is busy with the MSM in keeping us fighting with the middle east and other regions.

In the end the real reason for global conflict and national conflict is because of politics being played by the DNC,GOP and the MSM.

the DNC is not on your side. The real game is

[DNC+GOP+MSM+LOBBYIST ]
VS
[ the individual republican + individual democrat + individual 99.9% of Americans]

The best you can do is to denounce your party and join forces to
1. Add term limits to congress

2. campaign financing reform.

3. Lobbying reform

4. doing away with super-pacs

5. Revolving door between gov't and private sector

6. Transparency

edit on 111031America/ChicagoWed, 18 Oct 2017 16:11:59 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: CliffoCambridge

it's the government that is wrong.

No. It's the populous.

The people vote governments into power. And when that government doesn't abide by the manifesto they where elected on, the people don't hold them to account. Look no further for your problems that your mirror.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I think "the problem" is really a whole lot of problems all compounding the ills of each as an individual concern.

In terms of ideology I will use Chicago as an example. The left is constantly on about "reasonable gun control laws". They are forever asking questions like, "Why won't the right compromise on gun control?" The problem is that the right is always losing a little bit here and a little bit there. But I haven't seen any of this so-called compromise yet from the left. The left say they want "reasonable gun control laws" but when pressed it is clear what they really want is confiscate and ban. What is reasonable about that?

Chicago has some of the toughest gun laws in the country and also has some of the worst violent crime in the country. The whole nation is in an uproar over the LV shooting because 58 people died. An average of 53 people die in Chicago every month. Where is the outrage? You wont hear it from the left because it is the policies of the left that made Chicago what it is today. Decades of democrat rule and year after year of the same failed legislation has accomplished nothing. Democrats insist on repeating the same failed tactics expecting different results. So my question ends up being: How many people have to die in Chicago before democrats admit their policies don't work? And if they don't work in Chicago, or Detroit, or Washington DC, or Memphis, or St Louis, as individual democrat entities, why on earth would anyone think those same policies will work nation wide?

I have learned recently how to listen to political parties. The more they complain about something, the more guilty they are of that same thing. Listen when a political party is railing against something. They are telling you exactly what they are up to. When I listen to democrats rant, and I realize the things they are ranting about are the same things they themselves are most guilty of, that scares me. They are ranting about things we simply cant afford to lose. Its truly a party wide case of "me thinks thou do'est protest too much".

Perfect example: hillary ranting about how un-american trump was for saying he might not accept the results of the election. Turns out he was right about the election tampering but still won anyway. So what do hillary and the democrats do? Refuse to accept the results of the election of course. They just finished hauling Trump across the carpet for being un-american, then they go and do exactly the same thing they were complaining about.
edit on 18-10-2017 by Vroomfondel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 04:07 PM
link   

I can almost get behind that, but I think honestly the truth is: the US Government is controlled by a corporate oligarchy.

Follow the money...thats usually where the problem lies.

As for high taxes...flat tax rate, with NO deductions. Get rid of the tax code, all 70,000+ pages of it. Simplify it so that everyone understands it.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 04:13 PM
link   

How about political indoctrination by Media, church and state?

We been divided along many lines by , class, religion, race, politics, wealth, sports.

What team are you on, what level of education, how wealthy are you, what religion, what are your grades, did you pass your class, are you rich or poor, white or black, how much stuff and money do you have?

Never ending pressure to conform to being divisive, comparing ourselves to others, competing against others, winning over others.
edit on 18-10-2017 by intrptr because: additional

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Maybe I missed it, but nowhere did you mention the word, "Freedom".

Most of the things you listed have a negative impact on an individual's freedom.

The leftists are the biggest anti-freedom gang, but the republicans are also bad.

Why can't I just be free to speak, to kneel, to write, to fly a flag, build a statue, hold a rally, buy a gun, smoke some weed, say a prayer, sing a song or just express myself?

Seems no one wants that any more.

I'm just an old man without a party, with an outdated ideology.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 04:16 PM
link   

I'm not sure what this fits best under, so I'm veering from your choices with this.
The problem is Kept Voters and the politicians who give them our money in exchange for their votes. That's honestly modern America's Sword of Damocles in a nutshell. The left promises freebies to the have nots and will nots in this country and then takes ever growing sums of money and opportunities from the haves and wills to fund it. Many of us on the right are middle class and upper middle class... we're beyond tired of financing the have nots while seeing nothing but additional demands, complaints, and entitlement claims... never even an ounce of gratitude, all while the upper crust liberal elites "tsk tsk" us and presume to be our betters and tell us how we should be living our lives, lives we ourselves are working our asses off to finance in a display of self reliance.

Once we pass that 50% on some manner of the dole figure, it's game over. Why, you ask? Easy, the trouble with Kept Voter bases is that you eventually run our of other people's money.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 04:19 PM
link   
We need term limits across the board. The lobyists would have a hard time with control if their time was limited. There is a reason these trolls leave office with masive net worth gains. And it is not from solving the problems you listed.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 04:22 PM
link   
OVERLY-CENTRALIZED FEDERAL GOVERNMENT is the problem.

This country is too large with too many different regional sub-cultures to be ruled centrally by one government. We need to gut the federal government and turn 90% of government control back to the states, this is the only way to give power back to the people. This way, folks in Cali and New York can have all the state-sponsored social programs they want, while places like Kansas and Texas can form their state's society more in line with traditional Christian values. Everyone's happy then.

Have you ever noticed that the United States of America is the only country in the world without a name? USA is a TITLE, not a NAME. It's a title, because this country was supposed to be similar to the EU - a group of states (countries) in the Americas that work together as a united front. Thus the UNITED - STATES - of AMERICA. A title of an organization, not a name of a country. We already have 50 names, each state is meant to be a semi-autonomous country, sharing with the other 49 basics like free trade, free passage, currency, military, etc.

A clear indicator that everything is backwards is income tax rates. Why is the Federal government taking 20-30% of your income while state is only maybe 5% at the most? It should be the other way around. The state should be where most of your tax money goes, since that will more likely benefit you directly, and federal tax should be very low, similar to what current state tax rates are, around 5% or so.

At least that's my 2 cents...

edit on 18-10-2017 by Subsonic because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join