It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Needs doctor's approval for power wheelchair/mobility scooter

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Someone gave me money to purchase a new power wheelchair and a mobility scooter. I purchased two devices because I can't afford to be w/o one. The used wheelchair I bought last year broke down and it was difficult getting around....very difficult....so this is what led me to getting new equipment. I can't rely on used ones at all. They don't last.

I had an appointment with my Nurse Practitioner yesterday. I don't have a regular md because of insurance issues and I pay her on a cash basis. This NP is aware of the funds I was given to purchase my mobility equipment and when we discussed it again yesterday, she seemed annoyed and asked why would I get something that would keep me immobile?

The appointment wasn't going well at all before this even came up. I am overweight with a host of medical issues, most of which cannot be dealt with until I get coverage. You may have seen posts I put up in the past re. Medicare's late signup penalty. I can't afford it, so for the most part I don't get to see anyone unless I visit that NP or go to Urgent Care or the ER.

The reason I am concerned about this is that I live in subsidized housing. The complex is aware of the money that was given me and when I reported my conversation with the manager - because I am a worry wart, always have been - she told me that my need for this equipment is apparent, but it would help if I got a document from the NP approving of the purchase for medical reasons.

If the office kicks back the receipts when I recertify next year, because of the lack of documentation from my provider, I face the good possibility of not being able to declare that money as a medical expense and my rent will go up substantially next Spring. I'll be out of a home.

The NP was very brutal yesterday....have been having problems sticking with the very strict diet she gave me and my blood sugar has heen out of control.

I wish she would understand how hard it is for me to get around. When my used power wheelchair broke down over a month ago, I had a very difficult time getting around with my walker, esp. when I had to take trash out and do laundry. I even use my power wheelchair inside my apartment.

With all the stuff I've been going through, this is the last thing I needed. That NP was so brutal during yesterday's appointment that I left her office in tears.

I wish I could find someone else. It's hard to find doctors who are willing to take cash when a person has no insurance.

I would appreciate your advice. The manager said when she recommends a medical expense deduction, they rarely oppose her in the home office. But I am still worried.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Go see another NP.

You don't deserve to be treated poorly...especially when you are paying your NP.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Sounds like your np already gave you some pretty solid advice.
And I don't mean to be blunt or annoyed or anything. She is trying to help you.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: dianajune

Do you have a patient advocate?

This is a very serious situation. A fall is not what you need, and I suggest if you can't get another NP go to the e-room. Do not be embarrassed or intimidated. You did not create this overly expensive mess and you need help. Just explain the situation to the staff and see if they can help you.

I am sorry you are going through this, and I know the hurdles seem high. I had a buddy who had to deal with this, and the power wheel chairs are a huge money maker. His was over $17,000 and was paid for my medicaid one year warranty and it was a POS.

You need help and if the NP won't do it, screw it go the e-room, you need help and it is only a signature.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 03:24 PM
link   

I am going to ask a few more personal questions since you posted your health issues on a public forum.

1. what was the reason for the NP diet plan? What are the goals of this plan? And do you have any amount of exercise?

2. What was your medical condition requiring the powered chair as opposed to a manual wheelchair, as you mentioned using a walker so you are not paralized?
edit on pmbAmerica/ChicagovAmerica/ChicagoWed, 18 Oct 2017 15:24:58 -0500pm3America/Chicago by abeverage because: spelling

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Am in Medical field.. deal every-day with seniors and disadvantaged. Hope this can clarify.

An N. P. is not a licensed physician... and a licensed doc. would have to order for you...to get most things covered.

As well.. Social Sec/Medicaid/Medicare.. or combinations of the 3...have waivers to cover the cost... sometimes 100%.

But, you've gotten one first without a script? Mostly... that negates anyone picking up the cost now. There are ways... waiver programs and companies that can get you thing completely free.

A doctor though.. not a N.P...would have to provide diagnosis.. and prescribe things like the chair.

There are programs, 100% ..good luck. Maybe you can get reimbursement?

edit on 18-10-2017 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
Go see another NP.

You don't deserve to be treated poorly...especially when you are paying your NP.

I'm going to start looking for another provider. It's kind of hard w/o insurance. Hopefully there will be one with better "bedside manners" than this one.

The look on her face when she saw me yesterday said it all. Her eyes were trained on my hernia, which seems to be getting larger. It makes the left side of my stomach look as though I'm pregnant, full-term, with twins.

That look was one of disgust.

By the time I left her office I felt about as low as an ant.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Daalder
Sounds like your np already gave you some pretty solid advice.
And I don't mean to be blunt or annoyed or anything. She is trying to help you.

Solid advice is ok, but she was brutal. It was the way she said it.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

You're right. I am a fall risk and had to wear a special bracelet the last time I was admitted for hernia surgery.

People who know me at this apartment complex have seen how difficult it is for me to get around w/o a wheelchair. When I had the accident with the used one I bought over a year ago, I went several weeks w/o one until I got a loaner chair from a disabled advocacy group. When my new one comes I will give it back in case someone else will need it.

I"m going to start looking for another medical provider and will see about a second opinion. Come to think of it, one of the disabled advocacy groups I've dealt with may be able to help me with providing proof that I do need this chair.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: abeverage

I am going to ask a few more personal questions since you posted your health issues on a public forum.

1. what was the reason for the NP diet plan? What are the goals of this plan? And do you have any amount of exercise?

2. What was your medical condition requiring the powered chair as opposed to a manual wheelchair, as you mentioned using a walker so you are not paralized?

I need to get my weight down, which is very difficult as I cannot walk much at all. The only kind of exercises I can do would have to be while in a seated position.

I tried a manual chair but had too much difficulty getting around with it. As for the walker, I had to sit on it and roll myself backwards while taking out trash, doing laundry, etc. I came close to the curb a few times and could have been hurt.

I was going to have weight loss surgery and hernia repair, and had a surgery consult scheduled in the Fall of 2015. However, it wasn't long after that I found out that my insurance costs were going up considerably, so I had to cancel that appointment.

I'd be in much better shape if I had kept that appointment and had the surgery, but I just didnt' have the money for that insurance. When I cancelled that policy I tried to get Medicare B & D and was then told about that late signup fee.

So, I am basically screwed. Believe me, I do not like living like this. It's a constant battle every day.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

What I was trying to say (I guess it didnt' come across the way I intended) was that I would like a note from my provider that approves the purchase. That way, when I submit the receipts to my apartment complex next Spring (I live in subsidized housing), that cost can be deducted from my rent.

I save receipts whenever I get prescriptions, test strips, etc. That helps reduce the rent....sometimes by alot.

The apartment manager acknowledged my need for this equipment, as she and many others here have seen how hard it is for me to get around. Especially when I was in between wheelchairs. But sometimes the home office will balk at such requests if they aren't accompanied by proof, like a doctor's note.

The way my NP conducted herself yesterday, it wouldn't surprise me if she'd refuse.

I will probably get documentation from another source. I can't get over how reluctant that medical providers are to give such approval. You'd think I was asking for a million dollars.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 05:33 PM
link   

I hate to tell you this, but the RN's point is valid.

Weight is a factor in getting you healthy and if you cannot exercise then your diet has to change. I know this has been rough though, can you do Yoga or stretching?

I can't get over how reluctant that medical providers are to give such approval.

Ever heard the term tough love? Kinda sounds like to me (you asked for advice) is they know with some weight loss your mobility will improve. Believe me health and weight are linked they can create a cycle and difficult to break.
It is hard work, but that motorized chair is easier...

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I'm sorry the NP had a lousy bedside manner and left you feeling so hurt when you were reaching out for help.

Safety getting yourself from point A to point B is obviously very important. You NP is probably afraid for you and what the scooter represents. It means your physical exertion will become even more limited as you depend on the mobility scooter to transport you. She was probably fearful that this will be the beginning of your weight issue becoming worse.

Any movement you can do is good. Especially if you don't have health insurance you have to eat heathy and move your body every day. You are worth fighting for! Even a small reduction in weight can have huge health benefits.

Eating less is cheap. You can do it!! Don't let the mobility scooter become your main way of moving around. Fight it.

I'm sorry for your health and financial stresses... but again simply eating less is cheap. Exercise is free.

ETA - sorry for typos, on my phone ... also I didn't mean to sound preachy. I wanted to be encouraging and give perspective on where you np was coming from, even though it sounds like she was rude about it... I think it came from a place of grave concern for your health
edit on 18-10-2017 by VegHead because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 08:50 PM
link   

I'd say this is an excellent example of why we need medicare for all.

Well since the money was a 'gift' you can't write it off of your taxes because you didn't earn it. So unless you are going to declare the 'gift' as income, it's a wash and you should just not mention it and buy your scooter. If you intend to use it as a write-off without declaring it as income - it's tax fraud plain and simple.

Who-ever gave you the money - should just buy the scooter (they won't be able to deduct it either unless THEY meet the medical deduction requirements). Problem solved.

As to the Medicare bummers and provider bummers - medicare for all!!

Many providers treat heavy people poorly - they are not trained in helping you loss weight and get mobile. Much like alcoholism in decades past - it's seen as a 'moral' weakness not an illness that needs treating.

Good Luck.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I shouldn`t even be commenting on this thread because I don`t understand what you are talking about, but are you saying that the manufacturer of a mobility device won`t sell you one because you don`t have a doctors note?

from what I did understand it sounds to me more like you are trying to kill 2 birds with one stone by spending your money on a medical device so that you can continue living in subsidized housing at no added cost while at the same time buying new mobility device even though a used device will work just as well.

like I said I don`t really understand what you are saying but I`m sure of you thing if you have cash to buy a mobility device the manufacturer of said device isn`t going to turn down your money just because you don`t have a doctors note.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Yeah...I understand. I hope you inquire around. There are org's for this to lighten your load! And the way it sounds....you prob should find another N.P.

I wish you well...God Bless....*

*PS We dont make our lots in life...we just deal day to day with the hand we're dealt the best way we can.
Best

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 01:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: abeverage

I hate to tell you this, but the RN's point is valid.

Weight is a factor in getting you healthy and if you cannot exercise then your diet has to change. I know this has been rough though, can you do Yoga or stretching?

I can't get over how reluctant that medical providers are to give such approval.

Ever heard the term tough love? Kinda sounds like to me (you asked for advice) is they know with some weight loss your mobility will improve. Believe me health and weight are linked they can create a cycle and difficult to break.
It is hard work, but that motorized chair is easier...

With as heavy as I am and my very limited mobility, losing weight will take a very long time. I'm not sure how much time I have left, given all the health problems I have.

Not long before I had to give up my FEHB coverage, I had a weight loss/hernia surgery repair consult scheduled. When I found out I wasn't going to be able to keep my insurance, I had to cancel that appointment. I will need help losing weight.

As far as exercising goes, I can only do exercises while in a seated position. I don't know anything about Yoga, but if I'd have to get on the floor I'd never be able to get back up!

Before going on disability, I was able to walk to/from work. If I did this both ways, five days a week it added up to 20 miles a week. I lost a ton of weight back then, but after Mom died and I started driving, the pounds came back for the most part. I wish I could go back in time and change that.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 01:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
I shouldn`t even be commenting on this thread because I don`t understand what you are talking about, but are you saying that the manufacturer of a mobility device won`t sell you one because you don`t have a doctors note?

from what I did understand it sounds to me more like you are trying to kill 2 birds with one stone by spending your money on a medical device so that you can continue living in subsidized housing at no added cost while at the same time buying new mobility device even though a used device will work just as well.

like I said I don`t really understand what you are saying but I`m sure of you thing if you have cash to buy a mobility device the manufacturer of said device isn`t going to turn down your money just because you don`t have a doctors note.

What I was trying to say was that I already purchased mobility devices but that my NP, even though she was aware I planned on doing this a few months ago, seemed to suddenly chane her attitude when we had our appt the other day.

I stiil live in subsidized housing.....what I was trying to say was that whenever a tenant recertifies every year, medical expenses such as mobility equipment, prescriptions, eyeglasses, etc can be deducted from rent one would pay for the coming year. My recert comes up in the Spring.

We're expected to save those receipts and turn them in every year. My pile is always huge. It would be stupid of me to not try to save some money, with the cost of living going up like it has.

It helps to have a doctor's note when turning in such receipts in case their home office questions the expense.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 01:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Yeah...I understand. I hope you inquire around. There are org's for this to lighten your load! And the way it sounds....you prob should find another N.P.

I wish you well...God Bless....*

*PS We dont make our lots in life...we just deal day to day with the hand we're dealt the best way we can.
Best

I have a disabled advocate I'm going to talk to about that NP. I hope he will have ideas as to where to look for a new provider. The county I live in is predominantly rural and transport options are limited. If I had a car I'd be able to drive to Syracuse. But I don't have one, so I'm going to have to make do.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 03:38 AM
link   
It is not too late to lose weight, and that is what you desperately need to do

You have to brutal about your shape when you look in a mirror and know you have to do something about it as you do realise your heart is under a lot of strain from the extra weight

Stick to a diet, drink lots of water and that weight will drop

When you lose enough to be active again,gentle exercise-long walks etc etc

You alone are in charge of your body, you need the focus and will power to change things now

top topics

<<   2 >>

join