It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So I got pulled over for speeding..?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: luciferslight

When the lights come on is irrelevant. He already witnessed the offense. The lights and siren are just your signal to stop.

As others have said, the delay was likely due to him running your tag on his computer.

Did you admit to speeding to the cop? Even less than the 18 over you were going? If so, you're likely screwed, since most police interactions are recorded nowadays.

If you didn't admit to it, you ought to at least appear in court. In most states, you pay the court costs anyways if you just plead guilty and pay the fine. You might as well get your day in court. You could request the radar's calibration or officer's training records on the radar.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: cynicalheathen

If you didn't admit to it, you ought to at least appear in court. In most states, you pay the court costs anyways if you just plead guilty and pay the fine. You might as well get your day in court. You could request the radar's calibration or officer's training records on the radar.

This is only good advice if he has low moral standards and wants to try to shirk his responsibility. He knows he was speeding, he got caught, he should pay. And he should learn and not do it anymore. He's lucky all that happened was a ticket.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   

He was watching to see if were going to do anything else wrong, to add it to the ticket.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785
a reply to: Reverbs

Exactly, everyone takes driving so lightly, but speeding kills about 10K people every year. Driving is dangerous. Your car weighs thousands of pounds, and the faster it goes the more energy it has.

The worst part is it's often pointless. I don't know how many times I've had a guy pass me wanting to go 15 or 20 over the limit, and then I'm behind him at the next light. He literally gained ZERO time on me overall. Even on long highway trips it doesn't gain you that much time. If you're doing 75 and I'm doing 60, you will complete a 400 mile trip in about 5 hours and 20 minutes. I'll be a little over an hour behind you.

Is that really worth it the potential costs to money and lives? And that's assuming you don't hit a traffic jam at some point which enables cars you passed an hour ago to catch up to within a minute or two of you. Just leave an hour early, it's so stupid.

Speeding isn't the problem. It is slow azz driver's in the left lane and people who drive erratically or overly aggressive. Usually the slow driver starts causing people to drive erratically because they are messing up the natural flow of the traffic. Most highway speed limits are throw back to the oil embargo days, not because government cares about safety.

Speeding tickets are just a revenue grab for law enforcement 90% of the time.

With that said, I do hate when people speed unnecessarily on side streets, etc and wish cops would spend more time policing those areas. I live near an elementary school / park and I see people driving way too fast for the street given the school and park all the time.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: openyourmind1262
Had to throw this out there. I'm 54, been driving legal since I was 17.....never a ticket, never a moving violation. Once was stopped for not wearing seat belt.......Based on the fact I had such good driving record, ticket was thrown out and my fine of $125 was refunded.........Moral of the story.......don't speed & obey the traffic laws and you have zero to worry about. Sorry for your bad luck.

More or less same here.

It's about being smart as much as anything. Always make sure you don't stick out when you drive. If there are no other cars, then you make sure you are following the posted limits and obeying the signs and signals.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Like most said, he was probably checking to see if the car was reported stolen, if registered, insured, etc. This all varies by state as to procedure as well as if it is a local or state Police.

Did the cop ever loose sight of you or did he pull out directly behind you?

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

I'd like to see a cop have to explain why he hit me. And a new truck would be nice some days.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: szino9

Yeah that's what I thought too but i guess timing doesn't matter now.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Yup perhaps I should've cursed god this day for giving me a ticket

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Always fight your ticket. Chances are when you set a court date to fight the ticket , maybe the cop wont show up and the ticket gets tossed. If not, you can always ask the judge to lower the price of the ticket if you have a clean record.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: face23785
a reply to: Reverbs

Exactly, everyone takes driving so lightly, but speeding kills about 10K people every year. Driving is dangerous. Your car weighs thousands of pounds, and the faster it goes the more energy it has.

The worst part is it's often pointless. I don't know how many times I've had a guy pass me wanting to go 15 or 20 over the limit, and then I'm behind him at the next light. He literally gained ZERO time on me overall. Even on long highway trips it doesn't gain you that much time. If you're doing 75 and I'm doing 60, you will complete a 400 mile trip in about 5 hours and 20 minutes. I'll be a little over an hour behind you.

Is that really worth it the potential costs to money and lives? And that's assuming you don't hit a traffic jam at some point which enables cars you passed an hour ago to catch up to within a minute or two of you. Just leave an hour early, it's so stupid.

Speeding isn't the problem. It is slow azz driver's in the left lane and people who drive erratically or overly aggressive. Usually the slow driver starts causing people to drive erratically because they are messing up the natural flow of the traffic. Most highway speed limits are throw back to the oil embargo days, not because government cares about safety.

Speeding tickets are just a revenue grab for law enforcement 90% of the time.

With that said, I do hate when people speed unnecessarily on side streets, etc and wish cops would spend more time policing those areas. I live near an elementary school / park and I see people driving way too fast for the street given the school and park all the time.

Speeding most definitely is a problem, no matter what kind of road you're on. It's dangerous and there's reams of data to back that conclusion up. You're not as good a driver as you think. Slow down. Stop endangering lives because you're arrogant and you think you can handle your car at higher than posted speeds.
edit on 18 10 17 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Excallibacca

I'd like to see a cop have to explain why he hit me. And a new truck would be nice some days.

Yeah that's all well and good, assuming you and everyone else survive the accident. You never know what will happen once one starts. Causing one on purpose is just ridiculous. You and the cop aren't the only people on the road. If you actually think this is a good idea you shouldn't have a license, you're not responsible enough.
edit on 18 10 17 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Check your state law for a "nolo contendere" clause. Basically says you were guilty without admitting guilt. I got a very reduced fine for claiming that once upon a time. Up to the judge at that point.
Also , the law officer here has to appear in court as well or the fine is dropped.

During the time between the offense and the time you are pulled over , the officer is doing a background check via tag registration for any outstanding warrants.

Good luck

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Yes, the cop was simply checking everything on you and possibly finding out if he might need back-up as well.

As for a time limit before pulling you over. . . well that depends on the state. In some they can wait up to a year and then mail you a citation.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Nope it doesn't matter when he turns his lights on, you were speeding, you got caught, deal with it.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 09:07 PM
link   
you should always go to court for a speeding ticket because the officer might not show up, the judge usually lowers or gets rid of the fine or he won`t give you points on your license. usually if you can postpone it 1 or 2 times, the officer doesn`t show up in court and you are found not guilty.

the state gave you the ticket they have the burden of proof make them work for that money, you might get lucky and get off, or at least get off with reduced penalties.if the state has the time, money and resources to give the tickets out then they should have the time, money and resources to deal with every person who gets a ticket and goes to court.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Excallibacca

Sounds like a plan for me. And I work in a city's Police and Fire center. These guys are all great...but as everywhere...there a few "yah-whos".

The worst are newly sworn of recently (2-3 years) who used to be Police Explorer's...young college age teens and young adults who help out at functions with those badges-painted on t-shirts.

Once they go full-on permanent...they get even more of a"look Im a cop" attitude. I really dislike those kids in the Explorer program....but they are just over eager.
edit on 18-10-2017 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Nothing to worry about he was probably just loading the shotgun and charging his taser.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Ha ha , i got pulled over years ago here in South Australia .He asked me if i had a reason for doing 128 in a 110 zone . I answered it wouldn't go any faster . He looked at me , shook his head and said go , just go . True story .

The scoutmaster .

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 10:41 AM
link   

But it's 100% okay for the cop to put me and others in danger by tailgating me for no reason. Noted.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join