It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Real ID Act passed...here come the barcodes

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 12:29 PM
link   
The Social Security system was a human-numbering scam from its inception. One need only look at the solvency of SS to see that it was never really intended to provide security of any kind. Let's see... Companies like Raytheon, General Dynamics and Honeywell make billions in war-profits over the years, but our nation's plan for old-age benefits is so poorly run that seniors can barely live on dog food from their SS benefits.

Give me a freaking break.

Now that every American has been taught to register their baby with the government, it's time for those numbers to be the primary codification scheme of all Americans. All nice and orderly.

Sad how some Americans see the government as their fatherly protector rather than a mindless beast. The American founders constantly argued that the government must be controlled by the people and not the other way around. Supporters of human-numbering systems will learn a painful lesson at the cost of their family's welfare, I believe.

Social Security my a**.

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 12:49 PM
link   
National ID cards how can anyone condone them........... The states need to have more power.
The media needs to Inform the people about new legislation, not the next celebraties boob job.

Paciffing us and carefullly leading us down the path.

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc

Originally posted by sigung86

Originally posted by skippytjc
A national, standardized ID is NOT AGAINST your rights and it doesn’t limit your freedoms. Its an ID card for pete’s sake. The law has a right to positively id people if it needs to, and a standardized method is simply more efficient.

In my experience, people who have an issue showing ID usually have something to hide…

I'm not going to bash Bush, at all. I do not have a problem showing identification when required. However, I have a state issued, photo included, driver license which uses my social security as the license number. I have a Social Security card. I have a DD214 which identifies me as having honorably served in the military. I have a number of credit cards... All of which tie back to each other and some of the aforementioned identity items in some way to positively identify me as ... Who I am.

I do not see any reason for a Federally mandated identification. I do not like the idea of gun control, but I think the whole possibility for control is much larger than simply gun control. I am still a taxpaying, law abiding citizen of this country. I may be getting old and curmudgeonly, but I really resent all the conitnuously more imposing on my privacy, just so someone can try to guess if I'm really me or not.

Enforce the laws on illegal aliens that currently exist. Same as "gun control"... Instead of constantly making more crappy laws, simply enforce what is already in the books. I am always amazed at how assinine the gun control and national id advocates are. If the attempt is not to control my life, and all my comings and goings, then quit trying to make it look that way. What say, let's enforce the laws and regs we already have and see if that doesn't work.

I still believe that people who are willing to give up their freedom in order to have more security will end up with neither ... And I don't want to be hoisted up by your petard.

[edit on 11-2-2005 by sigung86]

You kinda make my point Sig. There are WAAAAY to many forms of ID out there right now. Too easy to fake and confuse. A single, standardized, ID thats impossible, or at least very difficult to fake, is a great idea.

NO!!!!!!!!!!

The point that I am trying to make, and apparently not doing well at it (
) is that there is already so much identification material that, in the U.S., they can, literally, track me now, from cradle to grave.

I, honestly, believe that there is more than enough identiification available right now. Can't imagine why they need anymore than they already have.

Like I said, I may simply be on the verge of becoming old and crusty, but I like what little privacy I have left. It feels to me like I am on the verge (there's that p[hrase again!!!) of losing my right to self determination.

I don't guess I am ready, at this point, to willingly let the government have it's "tender" ways with me without a major protest, and perhaps a fight or two.

I understand that we as a race (human) in this day and age, have become child-like, indolent, dependent on governments to provide sustenance, retirement ncome, health care, all the good things that we pay taxes for both known and unknown, and unable or non-desirous of being in charge of our own outocmes, but I just really hate the idea of becoming a pawn in the government game, any worse than I already am. From the government point of view, we as individuals, are guilty until proven innocent and in the government's eyes, it is much better for us (or me) to beg permission rather than forgiveness.

Sorry for the long rant, and I do not write very well. I do not know how to make it any plainer that I do not now, nor have I ever really been happy withany other incursions into my life and self-determination, than already now happens. Further, if I had my way, there would be a lot less of that, and I'm afraid that I would rather we all tend to rise or fall on our own impetus and not have to suckle at the government teat.

I know... I know... I'm a loud, crusty old grump and when I am gone, I'm sure the world will be a better place, but I want the government to not have such a large choice in how I spend the remaining time. And I sus' that you are right... The government probably wants to keep its collective, meddlesome eye on the likes of me.

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I understand right to privacy, but it is bigger than that.

Can you imagine the bid on the job for the new databases, machines to create the ID's, jobs created, etc... It is about big business as much as it is about having valid information on an individual ANYWHERE in the United States.

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Actually it will fall under one of the government defense department contracting firms, they already doing all kind of projects on security.

So it will be under their own already part of the defense budget bids.

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Actually it will fall under one of the government defense department contracting firms, they already doing all kind of projects on security.

So it will be under their own already part of the defense budget bids.

True...

And those contracts will go to BushCo., CheneyCo., good ole boy firms, to keep it all in the family and keep that info all in thier reach.

Phae

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 02:51 PM
link   
This bill contains provisions for the Director of the DHS to suspend all laws and the constitution.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join