It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Real ID Act passed...here come the barcodes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 07:59 AM
link   
news.com.com...

The U.S. House of Representatives approved on Thursday a sweeping set of rules aimed at forcing states to issue all adults federally approved electronic ID cards, including driver's licenses. Under the rules, federal employees would reject licenses or identity cards that don't comply, which could curb Americans' access to airplanes, trains, national parks, federal courthouses and other areas controlled by the federal government. The bill was approved by a 261-161 vote.

Some states have moved to this already, but read on....

Another portion of the bill says that states would be required to link their DMV databases if they wished to receive federal funds. Among the information that must be shared: All data fields printed on drivers' licenses and identification cards, and complete drivers' histories, including motor vehicle violations, suspensions and points on licenses

This is a step in the right direction although I am sure some will call it an NWO plot to undermine America

The Bush administration threw its weight behind the Real ID Act, which has been derided by some conservative and civil liberties groups as tantamount to a national ID card. The White House said in a statement this week that it "strongly supports House passage" of the bill.

If Bush thinks it is a good idea, I guess you guys can start bashing now 3....2...1.... BASH

Because an ID is required to purchase a firearm from a dealer, Gun Owners of America said the bill amounts to a "bureaucratic back door to implementation of a national ID card." The group warned that it would "empower the federal government to determine who can get a driver's license--and under what conditions."

Is this truly an attempt t oacquire more information on our own citiznes, or a better way to control our borders so sex offenders and criminals cannot move 3 states away and start a new life. INterdeartmental and INterstate cooperation is needed also in the war on terror here at home.I am glad this was passed, and in no way feel threatened by the goverment. Besides, they know all they want about us anyway......

[edit on 11-2-2005 by esdad71]

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Also in the works is a a bill that makes it harder for illegal immigrants to get a driver's licenses. Some states have whined about this law saying that the government was trying to use the driver's licenses as a national id at the state's expense. The logic seems to follow:

1. Make sure only legal U.S. citizens have a driver's licenses
2. Make sure driver's licenses have a digital unique signature
3. Make sure states share their database information (To catch criminals)
4. Sit back and pull up information on anyone you wish.

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 08:13 AM
link   
It is for national ID. The government is lying yet once again. That is all they do these days. Lie, Lie, and Lie. I, personally, do not think it is a good idea because to me, it is an invasion of my personal privacy. I dont like the idea.

Republican politicians argued that the new rules were necessary to thwart terrorists, saying that four of the Sept. 11, 2001, hijackers possessed valid state-issued driver's licenses. "When I get on an airplane and someone shows ID, I'd like to be sure they are who they say they are,"

People are going to find a way around it. I think this is seriously wrong for the government to do. God I cant wait til Bush gets out of office..

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 08:17 AM
link   
A national, standardized ID is NOT AGAINST your rights and it doesn’t limit your freedoms. Its an ID card for pete’s sake. The law has a right to positively id people if it needs to, and a standardized method is simply more efficient.

In my experience, people who have an issue showing ID usually have something to hide…

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Well, from your mini profile

, I can see that you are VERY inspired by Bush. And the fact that I think becasue I said "I cant wait till Bush gets out of office", lit a fire under you and caused you to be defensive with me. So ill state my opinion and just say, dont argue with me. Yes the law has the right to do what ever it wants to do. They will do it anyways no matter who has to say what. This American law is becoming more and more unconstitutional every single day. No I have nothing to hide, and I'm sure alot of over people do not either. I just dont want some COP scanning my drivers license and getting all my medical information and coming back and being a smartbutt and giving me a hard time. (I dont have any medical problems, I was using that as an example). All that information is for the hostpital to know. How ever, if they could put limits to who sees what, then I would more than likely be okay with it.

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
A national, standardized ID is NOT AGAINST your rights and it doesn’t limit your freedoms. Its an ID card for pete’s sake. The law has a right to positively id people if it needs to, and a standardized method is simply more efficient.

In my experience, people who have an issue showing ID usually have something to hide…

I'm not going to bash Bush, at all. I do not have a problem showing identification when required. However, I have a state issued, photo included, driver license which uses my social security as the license number. I have a Social Security card. I have a DD214 which identifies me as having honorably served in the military. I have a number of credit cards... All of which tie back to each other and some of the aforementioned identity items in some way to positively identify me as ... Who I am.

I do not see any reason for a Federally mandated identification. I do not like the idea of gun control, but I think the whole possibility for control is much larger than simply gun control. I am still a taxpaying, law abiding citizen of this country. I may be getting old and curmudgeonly, but I really resent all the conitnuously more imposing on my privacy, just so someone can try to guess if I'm really me or not.

Enforce the laws on illegal aliens that currently exist. Same as "gun control"... Instead of constantly making more crappy laws, simply enforce what is already in the books. I am always amazed at how assinine the gun control and national id advocates are. If the attempt is not to control my life, and all my comings and goings, then quit trying to make it look that way. What say, let's enforce the laws and regs we already have and see if that doesn't work.

I still believe that people who are willing to give up their freedom in order to have more security will end up with neither ... And I don't want to be hoisted up by your petard.

[edit on 11-2-2005 by sigung86]

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by esdad71

Another portion of the bill says that states would be required to link their DMV databases if they wished to receive federal funds.

It also requires that states share this information with the govt's of Canada and Mexico, creating in effect a tri-national ID card, as I stated here.

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 08:37 AM
link   
The whole security and "to stop terrorists" talk when applied to these ID cards is complete bunk.
I can have any number of government issued ID cards but as long as I have a clean background I am free to go where I like, do what I like.
Nobody but me knows what my intentions are though.

Just cataloguing us masses.
I don't ever remember agreeing to give these powers to the people we elected stewardship of the country to. They are indeed overstepping the mark and assuming too much power and control over us.

I know I'm a Brit and this is an issue with US policy but it's happening over here too.

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Real ID Act, which has been derided by some conservative and civil liberties groups as tantamount to a national ID card.

tantamount? It IS a national ID card...

This was of course, an inevitability. You can't do anything anymore without identification anyhow, so it isn't a major rights overstep. Still, the noose is tightening... Evokes a scene out of a Nazi flick..."Papers please..."

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I hate Dubya. I voted for him the first time, but I didnt make the mistake the second time. Too bad more people didnt share my desire!

As far as the ID is concerned, its not as scary as it seems. Its basically a standardized drivers licence. Dont read into this anymore than you have too. Actually, it kind of scares me NOT to have a better way to ID people in todays terror-sensitive times.

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 09:19 AM
link   
More reaction...

www.cnsnews.com...

This gives the secretary of Homeland Security expanded powers to control states' driver's licenses and ID cards, and the data collected while issuing them.

What is wrong with 'showing papars' anyway? Why must it be compared to Nazi's? Are they the only power that has ever enforced a mandatory ID card.

The whole security and "to stop terrorists" talk when applied to these ID cards is complete bunk.

Why is this bunk? We are all aware that interdepartmental non cooperation and sharing of information has led to intelligence failures. What would you be trying to hide that you would not want to carry an ID card? However, They don't want them in Europe either.

www.manchesteronline.co.uk...

The House Speaker stated....

"Common sense says we should not allow suspected terrorists to be able to stay inside our borders if they could harm us," said House Speaker Dennis Hastert. "The House today closed more holes in our security network as noted by the 9/11 Commission, specifically their recommendation that the federal government set standards for driver's licenses, and their admonishment that terrorists have entered and stayed in the United States under lax asylum rules," said Rep. Elton Gallegly (R-Calif.)

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by sigung86

I'm not going to bash Bush, at all. I do not have a problem showing identification when required. However, I have a state issued, photo included, driver license which uses my social security as the license number. I have a Social Security card. I have a DD214 which identifies me as having honorably served in the military. I have a number of credit cards... All of which tie back to each other and some of the aforementioned identity items in some way to positively identify me as ... Who I am.

I do not see any reason for a Federally mandated identification. I do not like the idea of gun control, but I think the whole possibility for control is much larger than simply gun control. I am still a taxpaying, law abiding citizen of this country. I may be getting old and curmudgeonly, but I really resent all the conitnuously more imposing on my privacy, just so someone can try to guess if I'm really me or not.

Enforce the laws on illegal aliens that currently exist. Same as "gun control"... Instead of constantly making more crappy laws, simply enforce what is already in the books. I am always amazed at how assinine the gun control and national id advocates are. If the attempt is not to control my life, and all my comings and goings, then quit trying to make it look that way. What say, let's enforce the laws and regs we already have and see if that doesn't work.

I still believe that people who are willing to give up their freedom in order to have more security will end up with neither ... And I don't want to be hoisted up by your petard.

[edit on 11-2-2005 by sigung86]

You kinda make my point Sig. There are WAAAAY to many forms of ID out there right now. Too easy to fake and confuse. A single, standardized, ID thats impossible, or at least very difficult to fake, is a great idea.

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 09:34 AM
link   
My husband is using the digital ID since last year is now required for military personnel and workers.

It has the security level and is the only way to access certain areas in the base and is the only way for him to log on his computer at work.

Very soon we will have the same thing in the public sector and is nothing we will be able to do about it.

Is coming, more control to the people.

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Here in Portugal the politicians are starting to talk about something like the single identificatin card, a card with a printed phot, a magnetic band and a chip on it....they say it will replace all the other personal cards and will give acess to all info on a pearson...

if they are talking about tath here, probably it´s an european thing, all the EU will have tath pretty soon.

Personaly I don´t think tath´s a bad thing, it will simplify the way we acess social services like hospitals, municipal services, etc...it will help the autorities to catch those ho don´t pay the taxes, etc...

Actualy I´m not concerned about privacy if we think, we have none allready...

regards

fred

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 10:36 AM
link   
How is this controlling people? This is the first move to a global ID card. For god's sake people, this is the 21st century

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Global ID Agent: "Mr. Smith, Esdad whatever it doens't really matter, your 711161568 from this point on."

711161568: "Huh?"

Global ID Agent: "Thank you for applying for your GlobalID." "Here is your card. And If you extend your right hand will get your subdermal implant installed very quickly. Now that didn't hurt a bit did it?"

711161568: "What is that?"

Global ID Agent: "Nothing for you to worry about, 711161568."

711161568: "My name is Mr..."

Global ID Agent: "Don't make this any harder than it has to be 711161568. We are fully aware that you knew this was coming. We know everything about you 711161568."

Global ID Agent: "Now about these other documents. The Global Bureau Of Motor Vehicles has suspended your driving priveledge due to a medical condition that you had 15 years ago that could cause problems while driving."

711161568: "What? I can't drive anymore?"

Global ID Agent: "No Your a possible danger to others on the road. Here is your Drivers Denial papers, remember to keep them on you at all times."

711161568: "How am I supposed to get to work?"

Global ID Agent: "That won't be a problem 711161568, with our new GlobalNet system your employer is already aware of your inability to meet the requirements of your contract and has fired you. Here is a copy of your pink slip, and your final pay check has been encoded into your implant minus of course our fees."

711161568: "What? How? Why?"

Global ID Agent: "711161568, there is still more paperwork, could you hold these silly questions till you meet your Monitor Group Commander?" Now, where was I? Oh yes... Your Insurance agency also dropped you. GlobalMedNet statistics place you at a potential higher risk level, that same medical condition. Dang. Well, remember to keep this Denial of Insurance Paper with your Drivers Denial papers and pink slip."

711161568: "Oh God! What about my wife and children? How will I support them?"

Global ID Agent: "You have nothing to worry about 711161568. Your son 711161570, has been taken to Global Youth Correctional Reprogramming Facility. Looks like something to do with a book that was flagged on GlobalLib that he checked out from the public library. He should be ready to reenter society in a few years."

Global ID Agent: "Move along please 711161568, and remember don't leave your designated control grid at any time, the guards don't take lightly to terrorists. Next!"

Global ID Guard: "Papers Please."

Phae

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   

A national, standardized ID is NOT AGAINST your rights and it doesn’t limit your freedoms.

Limiting one's freedoms is a matter of opinion. Some people simply don't want to share their every movement with the government. They don't exactly share what they are doing with us, now do they? They only tell us want they want us to hear, and how do we know that any of that is even true? Do we have the ability to obtain the same information on them as they do on us?

And as far as "something to hide", maybe they do, maybe they don't. It doesn't matter as long as they are not a threat to society.

You are entitled to your opinion of Bush, which seems to be in very high regard. But, other people are entitled to their opinions also, and in the eyes of some, the "terrorists" running all around the airports, etc... don't seem to be wreaking nearly the havoc that our President Bush is, running around, turning the world up-side down and pissing off many.

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Remember in Nazi era, people were not allowed to move around without "papers" now people is stop by police and first thing to ask is "show identification please" is the same thing different name.

By the way, my husband will give hell if you ask him for SS in any papers that he has to fill it, he will tell that is against he privacy, now the military will not ask anymore for SS in the checks we write in the military bases because believe or not you don't have to put it down if you don't want to.

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 12:06 PM
link   
so whats next?
do we tatoo barcodes on our necks?

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 12:12 PM
link   
No, but they are asking for volunteers to have the chips implanted in under the skin for 200 dollars at your cost, for "just medical records" occurs is just the beginning.

Like I said before in another thread no long time ago, the mark of the beast is coming to keep track of every citizens men women or child.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join