It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Puerto Rican Secretary Of State Blows Whistle On Hurricane Relief Fraud, Finds Unopened US

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 10:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: nataylor

He says the food is in a garbage truck. Exactly as the mayor told him, it was left out overnight in the rain and rats got to it. “They left it overnight and there was some rain, and by the time they got to the provisions, it was too late.” He never says it was put in the garbage truck before it spoiled. If it was put in the garbage truck first, what he says the mayor told him makes no sense.

Where does he say "the food is in a garbage truck"? What the Secretary of State of PR said is that people reported to him that the food was at the municipal trash dump in Padillas, and that's where he went to investigate.

It also begs to question, this is no excess food. This is food needed by the people of Puerto Rico, why didn't the mayor make sure, even if they had to work during the night, that the food was safe and not simply left in the open?

None of it makes any sense. Any government official that is in charge should know, and have people that would tell him the food would not be secured left in the open, even if it was for one night, which I doubt it. Even if "supposedly the mayor didn't know the food would not be safe" he would have people who would tell him so... So he didn't listen to these people? He didn't realize the food wasn't safe when left in the open?...

None of it makes any sense.
edit on 18-10-2017 by ElectricUniverse because: add and correct comment.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 10:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
wow, corruption in a third world country in a time of national crisis,who would have imagined something like that could happen, this is exactly why P.R. doesn`t deserve to be a state. massive debt, political corruption.... oh never mind they are a perfect candidate to be a state in the united states.

But PR isn't a third world country, it is a territory of the United States of America and its citizens are American Citizens. It is disturbing that such aid would be discarded when people needed it most. Other than sheer incompetence, only someone attempting to politicize a disaster would do such a cold and calculated thing.

That being said, there's no proof (yet) that anyone acted criminally toward that end. Regardless, it shows a great deal of incompetence that these packages were mismanaged. At a bare minimum, it shows a great deal of incompetence on local Government officials and defangs the barrage of insults levied at President Trump. The supplies were there, but the individuals responsible for ensuring their distribution failed.

Given the participation of many members of PR's local government in anti-Trump activities, it baffles me why they would politicize the problem rather than explain they were having problems distributing it or managing it. This is circumstantial, of course, and does not preclude the possibility of a third party destroying it, to some other unexplored end.

Just looking at all possibilities here. This could turn out to be a very serious incident, and we owe it to ourselves to objectively examine all information.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 10:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: ElectricUniverse

originally posted by: nataylor

He says the food is in a garbage truck. Exactly as the mayor told him, it was left out overnight in the rain and rats got to it. “They left it overnight and there was some rain, and by the time they got to the provisions, it was too late.” He never says it was put in the garbage truck before it spoiled. If it was put in the garbage truck first, what he says the mayor told him makes no sense.

Where does he say "the food is in a garbage truck"? What the Secretary of State of PR said is that people reported to him that the food was at the municipal trash dump in Padillas, and that's where he went to investigate.
Right at the beginning of the video I linked to. “In a garbage dump truck, we found pallets full of meals ready to be distributed at one time, but now all spoiled.”

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Her political opponents would NEVER toss a couple boxes of rations in a dumpster and then claim all sorts of shensnigans going on.....those kinds of cheap nasty political tricks are never used anymore. And thise Americans who despise ANY left leaning politician would NEVER grasp onto such a story because it fits their desired narrative.....never...we are all beyond such negative garbage........aren't we?

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 01:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS
a reply to: Flatfish

I am really confused.

Why do you care?
I can't say for Flatfish but I think he might agree that we care about our American brothers and sisters. I know I do.
edit on 10/19/2017 by Devino because: Removed because it was just too ridiculous and way off topic, sorry.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 02:01 AM
link   
There is one explanation MREs get put on pallets and stored. They get drug out and then packed away again. In the army you learn to check the expiration date. If they were expired that may be why they were tossed.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Donations of food or supplies the the needy unfortunately always go to waste.

An acquaintance of ours shipped a considerable amount of grain to a country in Africa. A year later it was found still sitting on the dock. He didn't donate ever again after finding that out.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 02:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: ElectricUniverse
Where does he say "the food is in a garbage truck"?

The title says that it was in a dumpster.

Whatever the Secretary of State of PR said doesn't change the fact that the writer of the article made that part up.

If I was in PR, and I'm sure many puerto ricans think the same, especially if they were hungry, it would take armed guards to keep me from dumpster diving or diving into wherever it was these things were placed.

Politicians from either side, you just can't trust them.

edit on 19-10-2017 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 03:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: ElGoobero

So, let me get this straight... its only fake news, if Trumps chosen people, think it is?

Is that what it has come down to, finally?

Well you believe if it is on the news against Trump it is the truth..please do not deny this FACT.

What it comes down to is politics period..rarely truth as you think it should unfold.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 03:59 AM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

I do not contend any such thing. The man in the video appears to be the person the article claims it to be, but as to everything else, including the conclusions reached by the person who wrote the article which was linked to in the OP, there is nothing else in that article that I would trust as far as I could throw its author.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 04:38 AM
link   
a reply to: ParasuvO

Rot and balderdash.

I distrust media in general, because I know how owned they are, how their sponsors operate, that they are owned by the very corporate bodies which I despise and whose existence and power over the people I detest.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 06:00 AM
link   
I find it interesting that no one wishes to address the fact that the mayor of San Juan is just one out of the many, MANY mayors of Puerto Rico's various municipalities, who is reporting the very same problems as she is, without getting any acceptable answers to them.

I find it also interesting that no one who has countered any of my points has managed to explain the disparity between how much food is being actually sent, and how much is actually required. Anyone want to address those 10.2 million meals that are needed every day?

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Wait...hold on.

Are you implying that only the federal government is responsible for every. bit. of. food. that the island may need? I just want to understand the underlying belief that is forming your need for people to respond or counter your claims.

See, the thing about "aid" is that it is meant to be supplemental goods or services to temporarily help out a group of people--it is not meant to be a 100%, to the exact number, replacement of everything that is needed to keep a group of people running at the same comfort level as before the disaster.

Let me ask you this--have you done anything to help the people of Puerto Rico? Has you government? See, my wife and I have been collecting donations that will make their way to PR via a private charity organization--we are a drop-off point for our neighborhood and have donated many things ourselves. I know for a fact that there are many other people doing the same thing just in our county alone. Multiply that by the amount of counties in our state, and the amount of states in our country, and you'll see why I'm saying that it's not the government's role to make sure that they move 100% of the necessities to PR. Coupled with that, I know for a fact that there are many private companies who are donating and delivering things to the island as well, all of which combines to get PR what they need, at least to survive until they can thrive.

I'm not saying that it's perfect, by any means, but no disaster recovery is--ever. There's always room to criticize, but when that's the only focus by certain people (when Obama was in office, it was Repubs and some independents, with Trump, it's Dems and some independents...in both cases, libertarians are always there to criticize), the focus becomes joining in with or combating the criticism over focusing on the crisis and solutions.

When there is fake news (on both sides) and confrontational politicians (on both sides), that only exacerbates the problem and doesn't lead to any solutions, either.

So, no, it's not the government's job or place to ensure that there are 10.2 million meals ready every day for consumption, but it is their job to provide a good amount of those meals for a limited time until the country or private donations can start carrying the burden. But the answer is absolutely not for the federal government to maintain a high standard of nutrition for every individual on that island, and to expect that or imply that is yet another part of the problem.

I'm excited for my friend, whose National Guard unit was mobilized and is there in Puerto Rico as we speak, to return, because I'm really interested to see what someone who is actually there and is probably seeing some of the worst situations going on has to say about the whole issue. It's fine to critique efforts from the comfort of our own desk chairs and living rooms (I've done my share of it), but it will be nice to have a perspective from someone who was actually hands on in the situation AND is adamantly not a democrat or a republican.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I'll bet the people who threw it away made damn sure their cupboards were full first.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey
a reply to: TrueBrit

Wait...hold on.

Are you implying that only the federal government is responsible for every. bit. of. food. that the island may need? I just want to understand the underlying belief that is forming your need for people to respond or counter your claims.

No, although the speed at which food arrives at the island from other places, has been significantly reduced by way of the US government having already taken their sweet time about waiving the Jones act, which took them up until the 28th of September to get their finger out and do, FOR NO REASON AT ALL! There was none, literally NO reason, that this vital measure could not have been applied at the start.

However, although it is my assertion that everyone who can help, should be able to, it is my understanding that Puerto Rico is, for all intents and purposes, a US held territory, even if it is not actually a state in and of itself, and should be deserving of at least as much help as arrived on the mainland, when Florida and Houston took their respective kickings, from the fury of nature. No doubt their were problems there too, issues cropping up with this thing and that, but not MASS STARVATION!

See, the thing about "aid" is that it is meant to be supplemental goods or services to temporarily help out a group of people--it is not meant to be a 100%, to the exact number, replacement of everything that is needed to keep a group of people running at the same comfort level as before the disaster.

That is true, and if you read my posts on the topic, I did not say that the islanders should be sent flat screen TVs and XBox Ones, nor did I suggest that their houses should already have been fully rebuilt or any other such nonsense... but to survive the lack of appropriate accommodation, the increased risk of disease from the damage to their sewerage infrastructure, not to mention the presence of standing water in more places than normal, which attracts tropical mosquitos (which as we know, have been known to carry diseases themselves, from person to person), the most important thing is that people are at least FED correctly and in the proper amounts. You can get by without a whole host of the trappings of modern life, as long as your belly is full. If it is not, then your odds of contracting a disease or succumbing to the elements in some way, increase drastically.

Understand, food is not a luxury, its a necessity. When the craps in the fan and your back is against the wall, housing, heat, light... these things mean nothing, its whether your belly is full that is the difference between living and dying. That is why the food issue is important. The rest of the clean up and recovery effort will go a damned sight smoother, if the people are actually physically well, when they start doing it. If they are all malnourished and too weak to lift timber, move bricks, dig drainage channels, and work their way back to full function, they will never get there.

Let me ask you this--have you done anything to help the people of Puerto Rico? Has you government? See, my wife and I have been collecting donations that will make their way to PR via a private charity organization--we are a drop-off point for our neighborhood and have donated many things ourselves. I know for a fact that there are many other people doing the same thing just in our county alone. Multiply that by the amount of counties in our state, and the amount of states in our country, and you'll see why I'm saying that it's not the government's role to make sure that they move 100% of the necessities to PR. Coupled with that, I know for a fact that there are many private companies who are donating and delivering things to the island as well, all of which combines to get PR what they need, at least to survive until they can thrive.

I am glad that you have found yourself in a position to help, but up until the 28th of last month, I could not have done a damn thing, even if I had the money to make a difference, because your administration over there had dragged its heels (knuckles) about the Jones act, since the devastation took place in the first instance! As it is, no, I specifically have done not a damned thing about Puerto Rico, aside of course from stopping people from getting away with telling lies about the place and the situation on the ground, because that is all I can afford to do just at the moment. If I had something to give, I would have done it on the 29th of last month.

I'm not saying that it's perfect, by any means, but no disaster recovery is--ever. There's always room to criticize, but when that's the only focus by certain people (when Obama was in office, it was Repubs and some independents, with Trump, it's Dems and some independents...in both cases, libertarians are always there to criticize), the focus becomes joining in with or combating the criticism over focusing on the crisis and solutions.

When there is fake news (on both sides) and confrontational politicians (on both sides), that only exacerbates the problem and doesn't lead to any solutions, either.

It would appear as if you do not wish to find solutions either...

So, no, it's not the government's job or place to ensure that there are 10.2 million meals ready every day for consumption, but it is their job to provide a good amount of those meals for a limited time until the country or private donations can start carrying the burden. But the answer is absolutely not for the federal government to maintain a high standard of nutrition for every individual on that island, and to expect that or imply that is yet another part of the problem.

The answer absolutely IS for the Federal Government to maintain a high standard of nutrition for everyone on that island, because that is the bare minimum those people need, in order to be able to get on with the rest of the work themselves, and in a timely manner. Its a US territory, and those people ARE US citizens. Put it this way... The help Puerto Rico receives from every other nation on the planet, is kindness. The assistance provided by the US government is not overwhelming altruism, but obligation, should come as standard, like holding open the door for others. Common courtesy. You could call it a thank you on behalf of America's businesses, for Puerto Rico being turned into a tax haven.

I'm excited for my friend, whose National Guard unit was mobilized and is there in Puerto Rico as we speak, to return, because I'm really interested to see what someone who is actually there and is probably seeing some of the worst situations going on has to say about the whole issue. It's fine to critique efforts from the comfort of our own desk chairs and living rooms (I've done my share of it), but it will be nice to have a perspective from someone who was actually hands on in the situation AND is adamantly not a democrat or a republican.

I would be very interested in the results of his or her researches on the matter.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: ReadingOne
So this morally bankrupt Carmen Yulin thinks it's worth having hurricane victims go without food and water so she can go on CNN and score some dumb f--k "Resistance" points by whining and bitching about how Trump isn't doing anything. Sure thing, "LOVE TRUMPS HATE!!"

Wow, the insanity runs deep with bitter, angry Clintonites like her. I saw this particular human turd proudly wearing a "NASTY" T-shirt too. Yes indeed, you certainly are one nasty, evil human being, Carmen Yulin. Karma will catch up with you one day though. Good luck with that.

Ten out of ten for the rant, minus one million for logic.

This has been reported by the BBC, Al Jazeera and ABC in Australia so you can't lay blame solely on CNN or these so called 'Clintonites' because the whole world is watching. There is no bias and despite your diatribe there are honest reporters still out there and believe it or not there is still journalistic integrity out there and many journos call it as they see it and have put their lives on the line and even lost their lives to bring you 'fake news.'

I watched a video of a reporter having his head sawed of by an al queda sergeant-would you call that 'fake news?'

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   

This doesn't look like a dumpster, and this looks more like improperly stored supplies, than mishandled and kept from the people... Everyone has some kind of spin to put on a story..

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   

So food wrapped and stored in plastic, and water in plastic jugs are no longer usable if they get a little wet?

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Devino

If you care all that much, send them tickets out! That's looking like their best option to date.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Flatfish

Why would they want to be a state and take on any of our debt?

In a sense, their real problem is that as a "Territory" they're administered much like a "Colony". Just stuck in the damned middle; its a horrible status.

That's why I've long thought they should declare independence, with the US blessing, (and I"m sure it would at this point) and become a sovereign nation and member of Nato. Then they'd be elibigle for buckets of bucks from the World Bank, the UN, etc. I'd think they could guide their lives a lot better than the US is doing with their Territorial status.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join