It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Puerto Rican Secretary Of State Blows Whistle On Hurricane Relief Fraud, Finds Unopened US

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

Sick. Shameful. They will remember that garbage when they are hungry.

I suspect the people responsible will make sure they get fed even if no one else does

needless to say the media establishment is ignoring this.

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Not sure what to take on this.

Does not look like a dumpster. It's wide open in the middle of the street,(or how it looks) with people all around it.

The rations still look fine, surely the people around would be jumping in and grabbing what they want.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Could it be some kind of a stunt? Are we sure this is accurate?

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

Who benefits from throwing away invaluable food supplies like this in a time of crisis? Could it have been a mistake? Or willful negligence?

If this was done knowingly, it's nothing short of criminal.

I can think of a few political faction groups in PR that would.

+13 more 
posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: MOMof3

Never heard of a paywall?

Yes, some news outlets will have them where they allow only part of the article to show or you only have access to a certain number of articles per month or just have to pay for access period. Usually, this is more for periodical style news outlets than plain newspaper style ones.

Ever heard of partition walls?

That’s no dumpster, just look at the side walls. Those panels, with the holes for handholds in the top, are detachable panels of an expandable partitioning system. You can even see, in the upper right hand corner, a space where the panels are not connected.

That is not a dumpster and this is not a real occurrence! It’s a Fake News story from a Fake News site with a lying assed owner named Charles Johnson.

But hey, why let facts get in the way of perfectly good sounding propaganda?

GotNews.com is pure, unadulterated crap.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 08:23 AM
link   

now, not that this wouldn't be a surprise, but how do we know its not also partisan setup from the other side?

is the guy who exposed this from the opposing party?

+16 more 
link   

Before we all go flying off the handle over this, its worth pointing out that the person who owns the website where this story is being peddled, is a known purveyor of false information...

en.wikipedia.org...

... basically a troll with a platform. Its also worth pointing out that looking over David Begnaud's (the journalist for CBS who is the actual source of the story), Twitter profile, two things become apparent. First of all, the container that the supplies were in, was not a rubbish container, but a military trailer, which had been ransacked by people wanting to get rations, taking what they could carry, and leaving the trailer exposed to the elements, ruining the stock on the palette, which, as you can see, is water logged, probably as a result of the trailer being improperly covered, after the looting of some of the contents.

It is ALSO worth pointing out, that when 200,000 meals or so are moving from place to place, on thousands upon thousands of palettes, just like the one in the photograph in the article, there is bound to be SOME shrinkage, loss, or a simple logistical collision which prevents that one palette from getting where it is supposed to be.

Also, its worth mentioning that there are 3.4 MILLION people in Puerto Rico, and only enough food and water is being delivered to the island at the moment, to account for at most one million people. Everyone else, is currently screwed.

Furthermore, the claim that this story adds weight to a previous report by this glorified troll page, about a local police person having made claims about the nature of the response effort on the ground...

This is the very definition of an anonymous source, a caller who claimed to be a police officer, did not give their name, and gave no specific or verifiable examples or evidence, to back up their claims at all. Now, I can understand a layperson, a person from the streets, not involved in law enforcement and crime detection, failing to link their comments to something independently verifiable, but I cannot accept that any police officer would be so utterly stupid, as to fail to give even a shred of verifiable proof of their claims, if they thought they were worth making in the first place.

Certain people around here are distinctly against hearing or accepting on face value, any information from anonymous sources, whether it is verifiable or not, and I can understand that to an extent. But those same people are jumping all over this story as if its the most solid information, from the most unbiased and factual source imaginable, despite the reportage from gotnews.com failing to provide any data which is even close to independently verified, or with regard to its previous reports, nothing that ever COULD be independently verified, so vague as the claims made are.

We cannot prove that the caller was a police person, we cannot prove that any of the things they said are accurate, we have no evidence what so ever which supports any of the claims made about the mayor of San Juan, or her handling of the relief effort (which, I ought to remind the membership, is only one part of Puerto Rico, a very small part of Puerto Rico as it happens. Look it up on a map. Lets suppose the worst that has been suggested of this, Carmen Yulín Cruz, is accurate... She controls one small city, on an island with 78 municipalities on it. There are 77 other mayors on the island, and you would have thought that if Carmen Yulín Cruz, was the sort of terrible beast that the officer made out, responsible for screwing up all the aid delivery in her area, that her neighboring mayors would have pointed this out, assuming they survived the initial onslaught of the hurricane.

However, not all of them have yet been able to report in, even now, to the central authorities on the island, and those who have are having the very same problems that Mayor Cruz has reported, with no where near enough resources coming in, to even make a dent in the humanitarian crisis unfolding in their municipalities. Cruz is just ONE of the many voices from Puerto Rico, crying out for better, faster, and larger responses from the US and indeed the world, to help save lives, feed the hungry, heal the wounded and the sick, and actually get the situation graded down from "urgent, life and death" to "recovery underway". Right now, there are still parts of Puerto Rico which are functionally unreachable, so total has the devastation been. I read a report which suggested that at one point, only 50 of Puerto Rico's mayors had been in any way able to make themselves known to central authorities on the island. That means that thirty six percent of its municipalities, had little or no connection with central government, or the ability to represent their people in discussions about how to administer aid, what was needed most, how many casualties were present in their regions, and a whole host of other very necessary discussions. The other mayors of PR are having trouble, have had their municipalities all but destroyed, and are making the same noises that Cruz is, so before we start accusing the woman of some sort of callous conspiracy against the people she literally lives and works with, why do we not compare her position to that of every other mayor on that island, and see whether we think that all 77 of her peers are lying and fiddling the numbers too!

edit on 18-10-2017 by TrueBrit because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
link   
There's absolutely no way anyone would get away with this. This is propaganda designed to cover for Trumps bungling of disaster response to Puerto Rico. Does anyone think a hungry and thirsty mob could be kept from dumpsters full of food and water?

To what end are the Governor and Mayor Yulin going to just let people die? More bodies to deal with? I shouldn't be shocked at how low some people will go or what they will buy into but here I sit.

+9 more 
posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

That’s what I’ve been trying to say all along, minus all the details. Thanks for spelling it out to the alt-reality crowd here on ATS, but I doubt it’s gonna convince any of them to even consider that we might be right.

Much less, get them to pose the same question of; “Who might benefit from running a story like this?” now that they know it’s fake.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink.

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
There's absolutely no way anyone would get away with this. This is propaganda designed to cover for Trumps bungling of disaster response to Puerto Rico. Does anyone think a hungry and thirsty mob could be kept from dumpsters full of food and water?

To what end are the Governor and Mayor Yulin going to just let people die? More bodies to deal with? I shouldn't be shocked at how low some people will go or what they will buy into but here I sit.

You and me both!

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flatfish

Much less, get them to pose the same question of; “Who might benefit from running a story like this?” now that they know it's fake.

how do we know it's fake? the site has a bad reputation? so does the NY Times.
edit on 18-10-2017 by ElGoobero because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-10-2017 by ElGoobero because: fix bold part

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Flatfish

What worries me most in all of this, is nutrition for the people. If there are 3.4 million people on Puerto Rico, then to survive the loss of their homes, sleeping outside or in tents in various weathers, with the damp, and all that comes with damp conditions and flooding (like flies and mosquitos and disease carrying bugs), the people will require good food and plenty of it. Specifically, every day, Puerto Rico needs to provide its citizens with 10,200,000 meals a day, or the nutritional equivalent thereof.

They are GETTING 200,000 meals a day. Someone is starving to death right now. There is no way for that 200,000 meals a day, to go anywhere close to providing the right amount of sustenance to protect whomsoever remains alive on the island, with the nutrition they will need to survive the circumstances they are faced with.

+14 more 
posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero

So, let me get this straight... its only fake news, if Trumps chosen people, think it is?

Is that what it has come down to, finally?

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Who benefits from throwing away invaluable food supplies like this in a time of crisis? Could it have been a mistake? Or willful negligence?

maybe some in Puerto Rico who want to cut the strings with the U.S, or those that want to discredit trump. maybe the rich people in the U.S. that have ties down there for the tax breaks, paid someone to chunk it, i could think of couple of more.

edit on 18-10-2017 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

+10 more 
posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: ElGoobero

Much less, get them to pose the same question of; “Who might benefit from running a story like this?”

how do we know it's fake? the site has a bad reputation? so does the NY Times.

It’s as simple as looking at the picture and admitting to yourself that it is NOT a dumpster he’s standing in.

It’s a temporary partitioning wall and there’s even a gap in it where the panels are not connected. It has handholds in the top of the panels. Dumpsters don’t come apart like that and they don’t have handholds.

When you consider the wording in the headline title of the story, coupled with the fact that it’s absolutely NOT a dumpster that the alleged Secretary of State is rummaging through, coupled with the fact that the caller who claims to be a police officer won’t reveal his identity, coupled with the already flaky reputation of GotNews.com and it’s owner, you end up at the undeniable conclusion that this is politically motivated fake news produced in support of our derelict president.

It’s really pretty simple.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
100% they are attempting to make the crisis worse with the sole purpose to make Trump look bad. I hope they get exposed and brought to justice.
There are already some ignorant liberals in twitter blaming Trump, pretty sad.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 09:06 AM
link   

They are GETTING 200,000 meals a day. Someone is starving to death right now

Did you even consider maybe the reason they are only getting 200,000 a day is because they are throwing away all this food like in the video?

Of course you wouldnt have because this has to be fake news right?

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 09:06 AM
link   

For starters, that’s NOT a dumpster he’s climbing in and I seriously doubt that the relief supplies he’s going through have been discarded. Hell, most of it is still palletized and shrink-wrapped.

Furthermore, I seriously doubt that the radio caller is a cop as he claims to be during the interview.

I think it’s pretty obvious that someone, namely Got News, is propagating a bit of fake news here.

I’m not disputing that they’re having some distribution problems there in Puerto Rico, but I think this story is pure bulls*#t.

Furthermore, based on the fact that they would run a fake story like this, I’m pretty sure that Got News is a pure bulls*#t news site as well.

Agreed. It looks like a shipping container. (ETAit isn't a dumpster. Clean walls. And flatfish has a good idea too on whatit is)

They dubbed some fake audio.

These folks are #FakeNews.

edit on 18-10-2017 by AboveBoard because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: ElGoobero

So, let me get this straight... its only fake news, if Trumps chosen people, think it is?

Is that what it has come down to, finally?

dont waste your time.

bait set, hooks in the people it was meant to, disinfo being spread on Facebook as we speak.
thats how it works.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I predict this gets moved to LOL.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join