It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump to slain soldiers' widow: He knew what he signed up for

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

I won't, since he and the truth don't have a very good relationship. At all

Understatement of the year.

I wonder if he realizes with his new discovery of God and religion what the church feels about liars.
It's one of the top ten rules. Thou shalt not lie.

Oh well he will have the very best spot in hell to burn for eternity in.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

I'm so sure that's what every son or daughter is thinking when they sign up.
Please....

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: richapau

Some people think money and class are the same thing.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

I guess you didni't continue reading past that post did ya??

Next time you might want to read in a bit more before you comment.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Of course he said it - his past history with both his foot in his mouth, and his brash, egocentric way he says things pretty much tells the tale. It is who he is. His followers will say he is just being "up front." While any person with even an ounce of honesty and empathy will agree it was insensitive and just a terrible way to say it.

Trump didn't even know the solider's name. The only reason he even did it most likely, is so he could make the brash claims that he did - that HE was sympathetic enough to call the parents of lost soldiers, while past Presidents did not. Which is laughable.. because past Presidents actually did have empathy, and I doubt Trump couldn't honestly care less.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence
a reply to: Bluesma

He was right. Each man that goes into the military knows exactly what he is risking, which is what makes it honorable.

Does that mean that's something you should say to a widow who just lost her husband, and a mother who lost her son?

Honorable? It's not exactly comforting or sympathetic, is it?

Maybe he should've added: "Don't worry, we'll give him the best funeral. So big. So great. People will say, 'Now that's a funeral.'"

I think pointing out how brave your son was is totally appropriate.

How big the funeral will be? How "great" it will be? THAT would be a foot in mouth moment. Thank god he toned down that speak in the moment!

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

If any man goes into the military without being aware they are putting their life at risk, then they are ignorant. I think it is kinder to assume he was not.

It's a dangerous job. That is why it attracts young men.
edit on 19-10-2017 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: fleabit
Of course he said it - his past history with both his foot in his mouth, and his brash, egocentric way he says things pretty much tells the tale. It is who he is. His followers will say he is just being "up front." While any person with even an ounce of honesty and empathy will agree it was insensitive and just a terrible way to say it.

Trump didn't even know the solider's name. The only reason he even did it most likely, is so he could make the brash claims that he did - that HE was sympathetic enough to call the parents of lost soldiers, while past Presidents did not. Which is laughable.. because past Presidents actually did have empathy, and I doubt Trump couldn't honestly care less.

According to Gen Kelly, you are wrong.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: fleabit

Is there any part of this that isn't completely made up, or at the very least just your own subjective opinion?

The worst part: its a post full of "i bet he said this" and "most likely" where you lay down a gauntlet that anyone not agreeing with your 131 words of opinion is lacking empathy and honesty. Nice trick you pulled there.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Pouring on that fake outrage a little thick aren't you?

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluesma

We all put our life at risk every time we get into an automobile or go skiing. That doesn't make the president's quip an acceptable form of comfort for a fallen soldier's family.

It does make for a great distraction from the original question Trump was asked, which was why he hadn't made any public statement on the incident and the deaths of American troops in Niger.

I guess Trump would rather look crass and uncaring than explain what happened in Niger.

edit on 19-10-2017 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   

How come Trump fails so miserably at the actual meat of his job, yet we keep getting these tempest in a teapot allegations against him?

I mean...maybe he was rude, maybe he wasn't. Maybe no matter what he said, the whackadoo congresswoman in the car would have characterized it negatively?

If we get multiple reports that he is being a jerk to dead soldiers family, i can see all the concern this has caused. But if we prioritize this single complaint against Trump made by a political rival....i can't believe that it would rank very high to anyone outside of family that was whipped into a froth by the aforementioned whackadoo.
edit on 10/19/2017 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Mostly getting to break things and blow stuff up OR helping us break things and blow stuff up...or at the HIGHER order of thought,to forestall enemy threats our country faces, because those around us don't seem competent enough to actually SHOOT a gun much less fight one.
Warriors probably think we'll try with OUR lives before there's a draft of these masses of civilians to be thrown at the enemy to get us us killed as well and screw up a fight.

Other than that...poverty.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

How come Trump fails so miserably at the actual meat of his job, yet we keep getting these tempest in a teapot allegations against him?

Trump is a master of deflection. Instead of addressing the media's questions around "What happened in Niger?", he deflected attention to the families of the fallen, and how other presidents have handled private condolences. It was so inappropriate, that the media got distracted and jumped on it.

The press didn't ask about family notification or presidential consolences. The names of 4 soldiers hadn't even been released, and notification or presidential condolences is not a public event, usually.

I mean...maybe he was rude, maybe he wasn't.

I don't think the president was being rude or mean, just inept at displaying that he feels any kind of compassion.

Kelly said from the White House briefing room that he advised Trump to offer similar words that Gen. Joseph Dunford offered to Kelly when his son was killed in Afghanistan.

"He was doing exactly what he wanted to do when he was killed. He knew what he was getting into by joining that 1%. He knew what the possibilities were because we were at war," Kelly said, channeling Dunford's words to him upon the death of Kelly's son. "And when he died he was surrounded by the best men on this earth, his friends. That's what the President tried to say to the four families the other day."

Kelly said he was "stunned" Wednesday when he heard what Rep. Frederica Wilson said about Trump's phone conversation with the widow of a fallen soldier.
www.cnn.com...

This is what happens when you have a combat general advising the president on civilian issues. What one combat general says to another who has just lost his son in battle, is not the same as what one would expect the President of the United States to say to a grieving pregnant widow and mother of a fallen soldier.

"He was doing exactly what he wanted to do when he was killed.

Really, killing in combat is what he loved doing? "Live by the sword, die by the sword". Is this what a pregnant widow and mother need to hear, that "their boy" loved killing and combat", and died doing what he loved, killing and being killed?

Figures, that a general who said this:

"Their struggle is your struggle," Kelly said, according to a video of his remarks.

"They disdain those who claim to support them but not the cause that takes their innocence, their limbs, and their lives. As a democracy … we must support them. I know it doesn't apply to anyone in this room today, but if anyone thinks you can somehow thank them for their service, and not support the cause for which they fight–our country–then these people are lying to themselves and rationalizing away something in their own lives, but, more importantly, they are slighting our warriors and mocking their commitment to this nation."
freebeacon.com...

....has no patience or tolerance for those who would question the how and why their beloved was killed. He died for the cause is all that is needed.

General Kelly doesn't get it either. In his mind, there is no room for questions or dissent. But, the country isn't a military operation and can't be managed like he would manage his troops.

edit on 19-10-2017 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   

I won't argue that he isn't an idiot, and i firmly believe that the majority of wealthy people are psychopathic to one degree or another.

Im just wondering why we let the media distract us with nonsense stories that not only are unsurprising, but have little to do with the major issues in our country that Trump is failing to address. Honestly, I can't believe the healthcare drum hasn't been beat so much that it isn't in tatters now.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Shiny objects!

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

I won't argue that he isn't an idiot, and i firmly believe that the majority of wealthy people are psychopathic to one degree or another.

Im just wondering why we let the media distract us with nonsense stories that not only are unsurprising, but have little to do with the major issues in our country that Trump is failing to address. Honestly, I can't believe the healthcare drum hasn't been beat so much that it isn't in tatters now.

I don't think it's a distraction - it speaks to the pattern that Trump has shown over and over regarding his unfitness for the presidency. That's rather important.

Oh, and also, we're supposed to believe that Kelly coached Trump to say "He knew what he was getting into"?!? Give me a break..

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: redtic

I don't think it's a distraction - it speaks to the pattern that Trump has shown over and over regarding his unfitness for the presidency. That's rather important.

Oh, and also, we're supposed to believe that Kelly coached Trump to say "He knew what he was getting into"?!? Give me a break..

Honestly, i could care less what Kelly said, or how rude Trump was perceived by one of the political hack rivals that happened to be within ear shot of her chance to get another cycle of news coverage.

If you think he is unfit for office, then find actual reasons why. Because he doesn't have a silver tongue is not a reason. Or, rather, its not reason enough that people who don't care about mean words will bother to take notice. In fact, i'd say that the only folks really outraged at this are the same ones outraged by his comments to Billy Bush. I.e., people who worry too much about what people say instead of what they do.

This is a complaint without substance made by someone who has a track record of being a whacko so that she could do her part in the "#nevertrump" campaign.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: redtic

Honestly, i could care less what Kelly said, or how rude Trump was perceived by one of the political hack rivals that happened to be within ear shot of her chance to get another cycle of news coverage.

If you think he is unfit for office, then find actual reasons why. Because he doesn't have a silver tongue is not a reason. Or, rather, its not reason enough that people who don't care about mean words will bother to take notice. In fact, i'd say that the only folks really outraged at this are the same ones outraged by his comments to Billy Bush. I.e., people who worry too much about what people say instead of what they do.

This is a complaint without substance made by someone who has a track record of being a whacko so that she could do her part in the "#nevertrump" campaign.

If there wasn't a disturbing pattern, I might agree with you.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Given that Kelly verifies that Trump did indeed say it, observe the ease with which Trump lies. This is a President, lying on TV to the country, and calling a bereaved wife, mother, and Congresswoman a liar, knowing well the liar is himself. Does this not bother anybody? A person who will lie like that, will lie about anything. Everybody on this thread knows that through our own personal dealings with people. Once somebody lies to me -- I'm done. Just like everybody else.

And he didn't have to. So easily he could have said "I'm so sorry. In my heart I was trying to be comforting", etc.
But no. The instinct is to lie.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join