It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump to slain soldiers' widow: He knew what he signed up for

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: justneo
He probably cares more then the last president and I'm sure cares a hell of a lot more then Clinton..

Is this just your opinion or do you have anything even resembling fact to back up this claim?

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: tigertatzen
a reply to: mOjOm

What I do need, as an American, is the entire story...absent someone else's political agenda attached to it. Why? Because when you get only half the information, it directly impacts your ability to make choices based on your own free will versus having the will of others imposed upon you. It is lying by omission.

If someone in my daily life lies to me by omission, I don't take too kindly to that...because I'm forced to make decisions based on what I trust to be the entire story, when if I actually did have that, my reaction and therefore my decisions would likely take quite a different path.

People in daily life who do that insidious crap deserve to be called out on it in a concise, deliberate manner because if that doesn't happen, all the people who believe the lie will be so busy clamoring and reacting to it that they will no longer care about the truth that was omitted. It will be lost in the mix, and the truth should never be lost. That's what got us to this point in the first place.

Is some entity stopping you from perusing the wide gamut of political and news information available? It sounds like you're railing against news for being entirely one sided, but that would seem to be a disingenuous claim when just about everyone here can name several contravening information sources (regardless of which side you start). If you don't believe the news your reading, does that mean its not true?

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Like i said a couple days back: i do not like Trump. He is a terrible president.

But i feel compelled to defend him while I defend the truth. Which is funny....if i can see how terrible he is as a president, why all the lies to smear him? Is the truth not enough?

Its the lying that pisses me off.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Is the mother of the widow herself lying now?

t.co...
edit on 42am17famWed, 18 Oct 2017 09:40:21 -0500America/ChicagoWed, 18 Oct 2017 09:40:21 -0500 by Wayfarer because: familial connection correction

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wayfarer

t.co...

Lying about what? Did she omit the second part as well?

Im not here to say that he has the softest touch, or that he is the best shoulder to cry on. Im just asking why cut his sentence in half when quoting him when its obvious that doing so makes him look worse?

Orwell talked about the difference between fact and truth. THe facts are, he said what is reported as the quote. The truth, however, is he said more that changes the context of that quote quite a bit.

ETA: the quote from the mother:

On Tuesday, Wilson told The Washington Post that Trump had told Johnson's widow, “He knew what he was signing up for, but I guess it hurts anyway.”

She says the same thing Trump says.

Ill leave the politicizing of this to others. Im only interested in what is the truth here...not defending a turd president.
edit on 10/18/2017 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 09:46 AM
link   

I'm sorry, I'm confused about the context here I think. I thought this boiled down to Trump saying he didn't say certain things to the widow, and then the widow's mother (who I linked in the article) refuting that claim. Have I blundered into this incorrectly?

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Wayfarer

The threads premise is asking why the first half of the quote is being run with, and omitting the second half.

The first half, "He chose to do this on his own" seems pretty damned callous. On a scale of 1-10, its definitely an 8 (he could be more callous if he really tried).

Add in the second half, and you have ", but he enlisted anyway" and it takes the callousness down to maybe a 3. Because he is now saying, "Your husband knew what the risks were, and did it anyway" as if admiring his bravery.

He's terrible at consoling people...but not the brutish asshole that is being portrayed. Im more upset with the Florida Congresswoman who has politicized this and beat it into the headlines.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Gotcha. Thanks for the clear explanation.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Representative Wilson said that the family, enroute in a limo, I guess, to receive Sgt. Johnson's remains, were just told that they would not be able to find closure by viewing the body. As they were mourning the news of the state of and implications of, their loved one's remains and how he died, Pres. Trump called.

Wilson says the call lasted 3 to 5 minutes. I don't believe that. That's a LONG time, especially since Wilson said that Sgt Johnson's widow never said anything, except "Thank-you" at the end of the call. So, let's say the call lasted 1 minute, to be on the safe side.

The family was emotionally shocked and gave Trump no verbal feedback. They were sobbing. Wilson said she was offended by the president's "rhetoric".

So, what else did Trump say, talking constantly for at least 1 minute? Did he feel compelled to fill the awkward silence with blather, as we all sometimes do? Did he talk about what a great job he's doing? Did he blame Congress, the Pentagon or Obama? Or, did he thank the family for raising such a good boy, fine father and loyal soldier?

edit on 18-10-2017 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Quoting out of context is a great propaganda ploy. It gives an air of accuracy while still suppressing the truth.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

The widow is never quoted. Just that cowboy wearing Whacko. This is a bad game of telephone they are playing and it is not fair in the end to the widow.

This piece of garbage is using a woman's husbands death to politicize an issue that is non-existent. It is sick.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

President Trump was acknowledging to the widow how brave her husband was.

According to theWidow Trump didn't even know her son's name.

" "he knew what he signed up for, but I guess it still hurts."

HE GUESSES IT HURTS????

HOW THE EFF WOULD HE KNOW??

Effen Trump took 5 Defferals to dodge serving his country in Viet Nam. 4 for college and then declared his feet hurt for the 5th.

This "effen Moron" as his own SOS describes him has no business being Commander and Chief.

Disgusting.

edit on 18-10-2017 by soberbacchus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: windword

Good observation and questions.

It feels more like the representative that was with the family is milking the politics of this situation.

Im all for fair play in holding our potus accountable. #nevertrump is anything but that.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs

The widow is never quoted.

Cowanda Jones-Johnson, a family member who raised Johnson, told CNN Wednesday that Wilson's account of the call between Trump and Johnson's widow, Myeshia, was "very accurate." She said she was in the car when the call happened.

www.cnn.com...

Trump also spent the campaign attacking the Gold Star Father of a fallen soldier.

Trump also has spent years degrading the military service of John McCain.

Trump dodged the draft 5 times during Viet Nam.
Trump is a disgusting embarrassment to the United States Military.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: soberbacchus

This "effen Moron" as his own SOS describes him has no business being Commander and Chief.

Disgusting.

Sure he does. He was elected fairly.

Know why? Because the only other option was HIllary, or one of the morons in the third parties who don't even know what/where Aleppo is.

Know why this is so? Because of stuff like what you just posted, where everything everyone does is smeared and politicized just for the sake of cheap political points. What decent person in his right mind would choose to subject him, his reputation, and his family to what the American people, and their half retarded media, will do?

So because we, as a nation, are more interested in gossip and 10 second sound bites, we get the president we deserve. If you don't like it, up your game. And demand everyone around you do the same. Quit accepting unsourced quotes and outright lies as your news.

ETA: forgot to point out that, until 2017, dodging enlistment for Vietnam was not only seen as logical and sane, it was a rather popular thing to do. It speaks less to a persons character and more to their desire to not die for a stupid reason. In fact, anyone who dodged any military draft outside of maybe WWII is, in my estimation, among the smarter and more moral among us. If there was ever a draft in my lifetime for any of the half assed, hair brain conflicts we have been in, i'd have dodged my ass off. Im not dying in a foreign land trying to pretend im defending America.
edit on 10/18/2017 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: soberbacchus

Again, the widow is not quoted. Like I said. Anything else is hearsay.

I also do not think you know who Trump is because you spouted off the DNC talking points.

Trump also spent the campaign attacking the Gold Star Father of a fallen soldier - He did not spend a campaign against them. The father of the 'fallen' soldiers was used by the DNC because he was Muslim. I did not agree with the father and he should not have paraded his son around for political use. The father is also tied to HRC through his work.

Trump also has spent years degrading the military service of John McCain - first, McCain is an asshole. I can thank him for his service and what he must have went through but my father was in Vietnam. Saw and did things he never talked about and never used it for gain. Take away McCains military service and what do you have? A person who lies for votes and when he could have made a difference turned his back on the country and voted no for the repeal. Being a POW does not make one a hero. My father saving his squadmates was not being a hero either. It was his job as McCains was.

Trump dodged the draft 5 times during Viet Nam - Lots of people did. I do not knock people for this. It is a choice. Does it make them a bad leader? No.

Trump is a disgusting embarrassment to the United States Military - Did you know that he saved the Veterans Day Parade in NYC? One of the largest of its kind it was almost lost due to poor funding and liberal ideals. It is still here because of his love for veterans. Not sure how he is an embarrassment....

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

originally posted by: Wayfarer

t.co...

Lying about what? Did she omit the second part as well?

The mother of a soldier killed in an ambush in Africa said Wednesday that President Trump "did disrespect my son" with remarks in a condolence telephone call.

Sgt. La David T. Johnson's mother, Cowanda Jones-Johnson, told The Washington Post that she was present during the call from the White House on Tuesday to Johnson's widow, Myeshia Johnson. Johnson's mother also stood by an account of the call from Rep. Frederica S. Wilson (D-Fla.) that Trump told Johnson's widow that her husband “must have known what he signed up for.”

"President Trump did disrespect my son and my daughter and also me and my husband," Jones-Johnson said.

“She was crying the whole time, and when she hung up the phone, she looked at me and said, ‘He didn’t even remember his name.’ That’s the hurting part.”

t.co...

So the Mother, the Widow, The Congresswoman, and another family member who were all present for the call are lying?

They decided to politicize their loved one's death during the most painful time in their life?

Or perhaps they were just so thoroughly enraged by the sociopathic manner in which Trump grudgingly made the call after being goaded and forced to by the press questioning him yesterday as to why he had not done that yet?

Trump has a history. It is not mysterious. Ask McCain or the father of a fallen soldier that he attacked non-stop during the campaign.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

originally posted by: soberbacchus

Disgusting.

Sure he does. He was elected fairly.

He was elected. That is a fact. As far as "fairly", it is worth noting that there are Multiple GOP led congressional investigations and a special counsel appointed by his own administration investigating the "fairly" part.

edit on 18-10-2017 by soberbacchus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Trump already tweeted, this morning, that Representative Wilson is lying. So now, is he going to tweet that the widow and the fallen soldier's mother were lying too?

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   

He won a rigged election for HRC...I wonder if they will re-investigate that?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join