It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lawmaker: Trump told soldier's widow 'he knew what he signed up for

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 04:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

It's still callous and cold. The qualifier didn't change that.
It was not necessary to say that. He's a cold hearted bastard.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 05:00 AM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

The only thing he needed to say was "I'm sorry for your loss. Thank you for your sacrifice. You husband was very very brave."

Not "he knew what he signed up for"..even if he polishes it up with "still it hurts" ...
It's totally inappropriate.
Sorry

edit on 10182017 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

edit on 10182017 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 05:38 AM
link   
a reply to: RazorV66

Because anyone with any common sense KNOWS you don't say such a thing to a grieving family member. So in your view, Trump's showing comfort and empathy for his grieving wife. Lets define Trumps contextual meaning..."oh well too bad for him, he knew being a Green Beret could cause him to lose his life." How many times does this idiot have to put his foot in his mouth until Trump supporters realize his ignorance???

Why does the truth hurt you deranged Leftists so much?

Your justification and personal attack and name calling of liberals, like many of your fellow supporters is following Trump's ignorant and hateful form. Very mature response.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 06:41 AM
link   
I doubt we are getting all the context here. And just on the heels of Trump calling out past Presidents for not calling families as much as they could.

Is this what Soros wanted to spend $18 Billion on?
edit on 18-10-2017 by Wardaddy454 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 06:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

He is not a law-maker. He's not even an attorney... He knows nothing.

A President can't MAKE a law... Just sayin'

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 06:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
It’s a hard…almost impossible thing to tell a family about the death of their young son.

It really makes me very sad when these young people get killed in these stupid wars.

It’s sad for a lot of reasons, but one reason it’s sad is their dying for people like Trump

So are you saying that Trump and Obama are the same?

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting
a reply to: Agit8dChop

If you've ever lost anyone you love, then you know how fragile you are for a while. Gentleness is called for.

Agit8dChop made a perfectly fine example as to how such a statement could be used with gentleness.

Out of curiosity, have you ever served or are you a part of an immediate military family? See, I've been both a Soldier and an "Army wife" (even though I'm a guy) while my wife was deployed, and I'll tell ya, without the entire context of the conversation, like Agit8dChop points out, this could be a perfectly acceptable thing to say.

But, you know, it's easier to just jump down the president's throat over something for which we do not have all of the details except hearsay, so let's take that route, I suppose. To give you credit, though, you're being very civil about it and are just calling for a kinder way to speak to a grieving widow.

The reality is, though, that I don't think that Trump would ever get a job writing Hallmark cards, so we get what we get. If he didn't call, he'd get roasted for that. If he called with a prepared, robotic talking point, he'd get roasted for his lack of sincerity. If he says a phrase that could or could not be completely fine in the course of the grander conversation, he gets roasted by a partisan Democrat representative who admittedly only heard a portion of the conversation.

The point is, no one will ever just let the president be--there always must be a debacle going on. I'm just tired of it all, ya know?

But if anyone thinks that Trump was intentionally being a callous jackass and using that phrase in a way similar to, "I'm sorry that your husband died, but he knew what he signed up for," and then he just walked away saying nothing else, I think that those people need to take a look in the mirror and do some real soul searching.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   

SOURCE

If this is true then boy oh boy

SOURCE

President Trump called the families of troops who lost their lives in the Niger raid. Congresswoman Frederica Wilson says he told the widow of Sergeant La David Johnson, "He knew what he signed up for." She talks to CNN's Don Lemon about the call.

Congresswoman Frederica Wilson is a flat out liar.

Leaving out half of his quote to change context is nothing but a lie. Why should anything else she says be given any weight?

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger
a reply to: Willtell

He is not a law-maker. He's not even an attorney... He knows nothing.

A President can't MAKE a law... Just sayin'

You are misreading. ATS will remove special characters (a security feature for our database). So if someone types "Lawmaker: Trump says blah blah blah" the title will not show the special character of ":"

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

SOURCE

If this is true then boy oh boy

SOURCE

President Trump called the families of troops who lost their lives in the Niger raid. Congresswoman Frederica Wilson says he told the widow of Sergeant La David Johnson, "He knew what he signed up for." She talks to CNN's Don Lemon about the call.

Congresswoman Frederica Wilson is a flat out liar.

Leaving out half of his quote to change context is nothing but a lie. Why should anything else she says be given any weight?

The only reason we only know that there was another half to his quote is because Congresswoman Frederica Wilson told us. Besides, according to Wilson, Trump repeated the phrase, "He knew what he signed up for" several times.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

What I read had the mom clarifying that, with Wilson leaning on the edited quote rather heavily. But perhaps I am misinformed....

that means our "media" are liars and hacks.

BTW, Wilsons own history doesn't give me much faith in her as a person.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Amazing how much outrage and in turn "air time " Trump gets for what could be construed as insensitive.

With all the real problems in the world how is it so much time and energy is focused on such a thing.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

To be fair:

"I heard him say, 'Well I guess you know he knew what he was signing up for, but it still hurts,'" Wilson told ABC News.

abcnews.go.com...

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Don Lemon, the Al Sharpton for CNN.

Every military person knows what could happen when you get sent into a hostile environment, you have a good chance of not making it out alive. Trump needs to work on his bedside manners.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Wardaddy454

In the greater scheme of things, sure, Obama is little better than Trump

Both puppets playing their role

Obama, the appeaser for the horrors of the Bush era and Trump the flack hired to make the Bush era neocons look good again, in comparison.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Interesting addition.

So, I was just watching The View, and they had Congresswoman Wilson on the phone. Meagan McCain nailed her for politicizing the president's phone call and Johnson's death. Wilson fired back, really emotionally.

Apparently, Wilson is a friend of the family, and knew "La David" and his brother since they were babies. Through some community program she mentored them, and her brother, I think, was his High School principal.

She said that President Trump's team called the press ahead of time and told them that he would be making that phone call while the family was enroute to receive the body. The press had amassed and was waiting for them with questions about the president's call when they arrived. She says she was only answering their questions, and answered them fairly unfiltered, because she was angry.

edit on 18-10-2017 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 09:51 PM
link   
War isn't pretty. It's not what Hollywood makes it out to be.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

Boy oh boy he's in for yet another rough week in office.

And he'll cry why are they so hard on me. Whaaaaaa...

Hard to hear him cry over you.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 07:15 PM
link   
To me it's pretty obvious. I take it as him saying, even as dangerous job as being a soldier is, it didn't change this man decision to become one. Even in that decision, it still hurts to lose that person. Does anyone believe tthings president is out there to offend the widows of soldiers protecting the USA and it's interests?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join