It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why residents in some American states may soon need a passport for domestic air travel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Papers. To crack down on fake ID's a passport will be needed for air travel inside the US. This is what the Real ID act that was voted in 2005 was all about.

The Real ID Act was passed more than 10 years ago to crack down on fake IDs

They were previously allowed to use mere driving licenses.

But residents of some US states will soon require additional ID, such as passports, if they wish to embark on air travel - even if just domestically.

That's the new procedure on the horizon for people from states that have not yet introduced the standards required by the 2005 Real ID Act, which demands stricter regulations for state-issued IDs.
www.dailymail.co.uk...

The states have until 2020 to get in line with this exciting piece of legislation.

US congress passed the act 10 years ago, but it wasn't enforced until 2013.

By October 2020 the entire country will need to meet the revised standards, or face strict travel limitations.

Your state misses the deadline, you can look forward to the possibility of being detained, missing your flight if you do not have your TSA papers.

Travellers from states that miss the deadline will risk being detained at airport security and prevented from boarding flights if they don't have a passport or other TSA-approved form of identification, such as a green card, border crossing card or military ID.

Thankfully as of 2017 there still is no way to fake a passport.

edit on 17-10-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 09:23 PM
link   
One has to wonder how they are going to square the Supreme Courts decision that individuals have the right to leave and enter states, with the US Code giving citizens the right of transit through airspace.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: 200Plus

It will be interesting to see this one go through the system. Won't it be fun to stare into the dead eyes of a friendly TSA agent as they detain you for not having a passport after fist bumping you rock'nroll bulge?

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Well when I went to Hawaii back in June I used a US passport.
edit on 10/17/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

For the sake of full disclosure -

I have a "Retired Military" ID card and a slight limp from an injury. I've never had issues from the TSA and usually get booted to the front of the line.

That doesn't stop me from complaining about the overreach as I believe we should call out issues fellow citizens face, not just the ones that effect us personally.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Posted earlier here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thread Closed.

new topics

top topics

join