It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump credits himself for Raqqa victory

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: peacewar
a reply to: windword

For enemy warriors, yes.

Let me get this straight. You believe it's "fair game" for our enemies to target American soldiers' families?

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

You probably should've read the entire article you cite.

It pretty plainly states that civilian causalities are acceptable under the Geneva Conventions as long as the civilians aren't the target of the attack and that precautions are taken when the military is attacking a military objective.

Beyond that, Article 48 states the military has to make a distinction between combatants and civilians, but doesn't address what the military is supposed to do when the combatants are in and among civilians and using them as protection. Article 51 says that civilians only enjoy protection so long as they don't support the combatants. It makes no distinction about whether that support has to be voluntary or coerced.

It's not at all, in any way, as simple as "Civilians were killed, you violated the Geneva Conventions."

Disclaimer before anybody tries to spin it that way: No, I am not saying that offing civilians is good.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
a reply to: peacewar

Trump changed the rules of engagement, bombing the # out of families of Islamic State warriors, their wives and kids, killed thousands, Raqqa in rubble. Something Obama would never do.

Nice, thousands of innocents dead and a few of the bad guys too. Obama didn't have the balls to kill thousands of innocent people and completely destroy their homes, such a disgrace! /sarcasm

And we wonder why the region has been radicalized. I'm sure whenever someone over there sees an American flag they think of terrorism. Can't say I blame them.

What did you have to say when the ISIS cockroaches used the women and children as human shields?
When their wives and kids strapped suicide vests on and blew up a gathering of people somewhere?
You were ok with that eh?
ISIS needs to be eradicated any way possible.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: RazorV66

They're terrorists, that's what they do, much like our own military. If I don't agree with one group doing it then I'm obviously against another doing the same thing. Killing innocent people is wrong.

Nice try trying to paint me as an ISIS sympathizer though. You failed.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

I'm not the sharpest bulb in the drawer, but I don't seem to recall any war where no innocent people were killed.

It's a terrible thing, but war, in of itself, is a terrible thing.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   

I wonder, if there were a couple of terrorists in the crowd at Las Vegas that were about to blow up bombs, would the shooter be justified in killing innocent people by trying to kill the terrorists?

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I wonder if someone will make a meme of Trump kicking down a door like they did when Obama killed Osama.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

I wonder, if there were a couple of terrorists in the crowd at Las Vegas that were about to blow up bombs, would the shooter be justified in killing innocent people by trying to kill the terrorists?

Ahhh, utilitarianism...

If the terrorist was behind innocent people and the shooter could not get a clear shot would he be justified in shooting the innocents to get to the terrorist thereby preventing a bomb from killing a lot more.

Interesting argument. What do the rules of engagement, not ethics, say?

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Was the shooter making a good faith effort to stop the terrorists or was the shooter just shooting indiscriminately into the crowd? Did a civilian run between the shooter and a terrorist? Was a civilian trying to help the terrorist reattach the wires to his suicide vest?

I know I know, I'm trying to nail you down to a specific story but that's sorta how the law works. Crazy, but true.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Families of enemy warriors are fair game.

Probably what those behind 9-11 thought.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 05:15 PM
link   

What if they decide to drop a bomb in the crowd to stop the terrorists from detonating their own bomb? I think that's a better comparison.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: RazorV66

Civilians who are not supportive of Islamic State all left. Those who remained were families of Islamic State warriors.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Fun fact: though there are doubts to the "truthiness" of the war having been actually declared, there was a 350 some year war that happened between the Netherlands and the Islands of Sicily. The only casualty was a pig.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

Families of enemy warriors are fair game.

Probably what those behind 9-11 thought.

Exactly my point.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: peacewar

Oh ok, yeah. Makes a lot of sense. All those people in Hiroshima and Nagasaki were guilty by association too I guess.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Was the crowd full of people who were giving support and aid to the combatant? Were most of them? Some of them? None of them? How do you know?

Again, specifics matter.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

Fun fact: though there are doubts to the "truthiness" of the war having been actually declared, there was a 350 some year war that happened between the Netherlands and the Islands of Sicily. The only casualty was a pig.

Imagine the loss of bacon.

As to the topic, perhaps fewer people will die now and our troops can come home.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Imagine the loss of bacon.

I like to think the good folks of Sicily put that pig to use.

As to the topic, perhaps fewer people will die now and our troops can come home.

Agreed!

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Lil Kim in North Korea may be thinking the same. Hopefully we don't find out if true.
edit on 10/17/2017 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 05:26 PM
link   
The pacifists here are pro-ISIS. Remaining under the protection of Western forces, far away and aloof from the actual battle, all while decrying Western forces for ridding the world from a scourge of barbarism, is an illusion born of money and security.

Good riddance.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join